What's new

Preshave prep with facial moisturizer

My face/neck had areas of razor burn or raw spots. The rest of my body had dry skin all over. Confused as to what was the real cause, ie blade, too much pressure, dry skin, improper techniques, etc.... I decided to experiment.

Many blade changes, a few different razors, soaps, creams, ASB, etc... Then I decided maybe I should try a facial moisturizer to deal with a red and burning face (spots) because I was tired of Hydrocortisone 1% being my best friend.

I scoured the Wal-Mart shelf looking for something and finally (45 minutes & $15 later) I decided to go with the Aveeno 'Ultra Calming' daily moisturizer. I use it at night after taking a second shower. I was using an ASB but now switched it up to the Aveeno and my face feels great.

In the morning I take another shower to soften my beard and condition my hair. I get out and prep for my shave with NO morning preshave prep. When I splash more hot water on my face before lathering up I can feel that my face is a little slick and I assume it is the Aveeno. I then lather up and shave and my face. It feels great and those red spots are going or have gone away.

So, my preshave routine actually starts the night before.

Does anyone else use this or a similar technique with a facial moisturizer?

Every morning in the shower, I put my wifes Pantene Pro V conditioner on my beard and let it stay there while I shower. I rinse it off right before I get out of the shower. I can't say if it helps or not because I have slept late some mornings and had to rush my shower time, thus not using the conditioner. That day my shave was just as good as if I had used conditioner.

DL

Every morning in the shower, I put my wifes Pantene Pro V conditioner on my beard and let it stay there while I shower. I rinse it off right before I get out of the shower. I can't say if it helps or not because I have slept late some mornings and had to rush my shower time, thus not using the conditioner. That day my shave was just as good as if I had used conditioner.

DL

I tried that as well with 'Mane and Tail' conditioner and I swear to you I thought it felt like there was acid on my face. I kept using it for three days and I could not get any satisfaction. Maybe a different conditioner would have been helpful, but since the Aveeno is working I am hesitant to switch right now. After I run out of the Aveeno I might try a different conditioner and if it doesn't work I can then go back to Aveeno.

Man,

It sounds like you and I are of the same mold. I had the same issue and scoured the shelves for a solution. Hydrocortisone 1% is worthless IMHO. For some it may work, but not me. My red spots just started going away (finishing up my first full week of DE shaves). For me, lighter touch on the blade with post shave witch hazel w/aloe and alum have started to work...

We'll see if the trend continues tomorrow.

Top Bottom