What's new

Preshave oils vs water based creams

I’ve found that a good preshave can determine the outcome of my shave from great to terrible, so I’d like to explore other members thoughts on the subject. I have a number of preshave oils and so far my feelings on them are range from terrible to undecided. Maybe they’re best for every day one pass shavers, I don’t know. except for Taconic oil, I’ve found they don’t survive a three pass shave as far as protection goes. Question: are they best applied on dry skin or damp skin?
So far I’ve found the best bang for the buck to be the Proraso white preshave cream. It’s cheap, readily available and provides a great protective shaving base right to the last pass. You can really slather it on if you like.
what are your feelings on preshave types. Any suggestion of other water soluble cream or lotion preshaves?
(I just got a Phoenix Artisans "Cube", but have not yet tried it)

Question: are they best applied on dry skin or damp skin?

Damp skin. I wet my beard thoroughly, then apply a little preshave cream and rub it in well, load my brush, re-wet my face with my left hand once and lather.

I use Proraso green and have no need to explore further. It does everything I want it to do. It helps with my occasionally dry skin which can be bothered a little by some soaps. By using Proraso preshave I can use any soap or cream I like with no problems whatsoever. It also give me a superb post shave. My routine is very simple. Just a splash of cold water and I'm finished.

Some say preshaves are a waste of money. I don't agree. There's only one rule in shaving. If doing something helps you get a closer, more comfortable shave, do it.

I know the Proraso preshave is meant for wet/damp skin, I’m just not sure about the preshave oils though.

When I used pre-shave oils, I would press them into damp skin.

I use the cube as my pre-shave face wash. The instructions tell you to wash your face with the soap, rinse completely, then re-apply; this is a waste of time and soap, in my opinion. A more efficient use of your time and product would be to simply not rinse all of the soap residue before lathering.

You might also appreciate Grooming Department's Pre-Shave. IF the proraso pre-shave was oil based, this would be it. Perhaps I am not doing it justice with that description, but the GD Pre-Shave is a very popular product here.

Great topic!
Just today, shaved with Truefitt & Hill Pre-shave oil!
Applied over wet face.
Worked fantastic!
Super smooth shave!

truefitt and hill rose dovo feather penhaligon blenheim bouquet april 9 2020.jpg

When I used pre-shave oil I did it over damp skin. I have tried the GD pre-shave and it did a nice job.

I applied pre-shave oil or cream by gently massaging in on damp skin.

I tried "Midnight and Two" Unscented all natural pre-shave oil, but the scent of cannabis was really strong and turned me off my freshly scrubbed and prepped shave.

First of all I would say that you need to define what you want from the Pre Shave.
I feel everybody thinks of different things when Pre Shave comes to their mind.
For me a pre shave has to prepare the Skin not the hairs.
Definitely is not to give protection or extra slickness. That's what the soap/cream is for.
If I rub my fingers in my beard ATG and it hurts, I know I wont get a good shave independently of the shaving gear I'll use.

I'm still looking for the best pre shave product. So far, the oils I've tried haven't worked. They create a layer above the skin and that's not what I want, I want the pre shave to sink to the skin and make it more soft and supple.

Right now I don't have any pre shave products, so what I'm doing is using a moisturizer regurlaly and about 20/30 minutes before shaving.
And I want to revisit the Proraso in the new super formula.

Brush manufacturers don't like the hairs in their brushes to get contaminated by oil ?

Inexpensive hair conditioner is as good anything

Last edited:
Brush manufacturers don't line the hairs in their brushes to get contaminated by oil ?
It’s not like it’s motor oil. If it’s healthy for your hair, I’m sure it’s healthy for a badger too. Shampoo and conditioner is good for brushes.

Something different. I use aloe vera gel as a pre shave. Apply by rubbing it to wet skin then lather over it and you are good to go. Adds to the shaving experience and surprisingly slick.

I cannot argue with those who benefit from preshave oils, etc.

For me, these offered little benefit over a warm shower or hot towel (if I really want a luxurious shave)!
:thumbup: :thumbup:

I get small pump containers of pure Argan oil from my nearest health food store and put a few drops of lime essential oil in for a pleasant scent. I massage a few drops well into my wet face, then lather up and shave. I’ve stopped using a brush, preferring to lather up using my hand and a bar of shaving soap. Zero ingrown hairs, dryness or irritation since switching to this method. I used to have a lot of post shave problems before. At almost 60yrs of age, it gets annoying

Top Bottom