What's new

Preshave Differences Wet vs. Electric?

Was just curious what differences are there in the preshave solution in a wet shave vs an electric. I am assuming the electric is going to a drier? I am not sure. Anybody have any suggestions, if it makes a difference, that one could use for both wet shaving and electric? As well, be great to get some suggestions for electric too. Many thxs.

Really would depend on whether you have a “wet-dry” electric shaver or one meant for dry shaving only. With a wet-dry i think you could use the same preshave products people use for DE, carts, etc. If you’re talking about dry shaving only, something like Lectric Shave is probably your best bet. I think some alternatives to Lectric Shave would be something like witch hazel. You’ll want a product that’s a skin “toner;” meaning something that’ll dry and tighten your face so that the electric razor will be better able to grab and cut the whiskers. I think pretty much any alcohol aftershave splash would probably do the job well despite it technically being an aftershave. Maybe some of the electric shaving adherents can chime in with some specific products. But overall i think any toner should work well for dry shaving.

Last edited:
Reactions: tcl
I don't know the answer, but I would start by comparing the ingredients lists on the two products. If they are very similar, that would tell you something.

Also, try both products when wet shaving with a DE or SE razor and make your judgment.

I suppose it really depends how you shave with an electric. If you dry shave with an electric, there really is no prep involved. If you wet shave with one, its much the same as you would do for wet shaving.

I am not familiar with products specific to dry electric shaving but someone mention for example lectric preshave dehydrates the whiskers and firms your skin so they stand and stick out so is easier for the electric shaver to cut them.

Wet preshaves are intended to do the opposite and hydrate the whiskers thus increasing in size for the blade to cut thru and preserve the natural oils of your skin so the razor glides and diminish the drying effect of some shaving soaps.

I don't know if this helps your question. Just my 2 cents.

thanks for all the input. this post was more for my father. i got him the speick to try. so far so good

As others noted, if you shave dry with an electric, no prep needed. When I "dry" shave, I prefer to use something like Williams 'Lectric, Aramis or Freelette, but you can certainly shave with no prep. I shave almost exclusively wet with my electrics, so I use my regular DE prep - Jack Black's Beard Lube or Crown Shaving, but Speick will certainly work as well and I've used that also, among others.

When I first started with an electric, I used Williams Lectric Shave. But then I had to clean it off afterward; it left my face greasy. So I stopped using it and shaved dry. I don't recall whether my shaves were any better with the Lectric Shave. It was just something I did quickly after my shower most mornings, and occasionally evenings.

Top Bottom