What's new

Preshave advice

Used the last of Shave Secret. Got a tough beard and looking for suggestions on preshave oils or creams. Need the extra lube it seems.

Sterling pre shave soap bars. Are Awesome great added slickness and whisker softener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ach Brito Glyce Lima pre shave soap
Proraso Red Crema pre barba
Floid Shaving Oil

All work for me. The first one you rub it wet on your face, don't rinse it much and put the lather in top of it.

I have found little benefit from using preshave products.

In contrast, combining a good prep with high-quality soaps has improved my shaves substantially!! YMMV for sure!

any translucent glycerin soap works great for me.
BION, prelathering with Edge Gel and light rinse, followed by your regular shave soap lather, also works well.

Proraso preshave cream
Ach Brito glyce soap
Executive Shaving Co. preshave oil

All worked okay for me. Personal preference of those is Proraso. I’ve heard some using cremo shave cream as a preshave.

I'll have to try the Edge Gel trick. Sounds smart.

You can also just pre lather with your favourite soap or cream rather than use a gel or foam. My grandfather hand a thick beard and used to prelather with Old Spice and read the paper for 15 minutes while waiting for his beard to soften.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Proraso pre-shave creams are fantastic, I particularly love the Green and White.

If you desire a pre-shave gel, Cella is wonderful.

For oils I know and suggest Floid, Dr K and T&H.

My personal oil mix:

50% grape seed oil
25% Abyssinian oil
25% jojoba oil

Apply 3 drops prior to shower (i.e. A few minutes prior to shaving). Conditions the skin for a fantastic shave!

nav, that's an interesting idea.
What I've done so far is apply Trader Joe's cream shave as a pre-shave, then apply soap. The cream shave is suppose to used by itself, but it really works well with soap. Left behind little irritation using the Fine Slant, a notoriously aggressive razor. So many products, so little time.

After getting my technique, prep and quality soaps on point I realized pre shave wasn't necessary for me. But that's not to say others don't find it useful. That being said, I used to use a bunch of different pre shave items and what I liked best was a pre shave gel from Chiseled Face, now the groomatorium. I just checked and they still have it, it was slicker than snot and a little bit went a long way as I remember. And it supports an artisan so there's that

Top Bottom