What's new

Prescription Lens Blue Light Blocker

I just purchased new glasses at Costco and was asked if I wanted an anti-blue light lens. I had never heard of this before, though I know about blue-blocker non-prescription glasses. The sales associate said that this feature reduces eye strain when using a computer.

Has anyone gotten this feature on their prescription lenses? If so, what is your experience? I opted to get it on my lenses, and have a 30-day option to return them if I don't like them. For what it's worth, I get progressive lenses rather than bi- or tri-focals and have the transition lenses that darken outside.

If you sit behind a computer for 4-8 hours a day they're worth the cost.

If not, YMMV.

The LOTH wears Gunnar blue light glasses and loves them.

I don't wear them because I'm only on a computer 1-2 hours of my day. Any more than that I'd say I'd appreciate the tech.

I tried yellow tinted "safety glasses" that fit over my prescription glasses and they worked great for computor screens until my dog decided to chew 'em to pieces. My new perscription glasses have a yellow tint, but lighter than the old safety glasses. The lighter yellow tint (40% yellow) isn't as effective as the deeper yellow of the safety safety glasses lenses for the blue light of device screens, next time l get new spectacles l'll get a deeper yellow colour on my lenses. Try some yellow tinted safety glasses to see if that helps reduce the strain on the eyes as a cheap fix.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Many laptop and desktop computers, and also mobile telephones, offer blue light filter options on their screen settings. They are usually built in to the operating system or you can obtain third party software. I use them and, whilst opinions on their effectiveness vary, I find them beneficial. That would save getting new spectacles if is just screen use that concerns you.

I have it on my glasses - I find it good.

I don’t know what it’s like in the US but the cost difference is almost nothing here so I don’t see why you wouldn’t.

I wear prescription glasses, and use my (non-prescription) blue blocker glasses at least 2 hours before bed. With them on, I can still use the computer or read on my kindle for a bit before bed and not have the blue light affect my getting to sleep.

I have a couple of pairs, and use this one exclusively now for comfort. Not cheap, but they do the job well.

I don't see the need to block blue light during the day. I stopped wearing sunglasses altogether as blocking the sun delays your waking up and setting your circadian clock - so you actually sleep later. If sleeping later is your goal, then sun glasses are the ticket.

Last edited:
Don’t bother wast of money it’s a gimmick so they can sell you crap that isn’t needed there are programs to fix the blue lite thing it’s crap

Don’t bother wast of money it’s a gimmick so they can sell you crap that isn’t needed there are programs to fix the blue lite thing it’s crap
Effects of blue light on the circadian system and eye physiology

Blue light disrupts the circadian rhythm and create damage in skin cells. 12-4-19

Amber lenses to block blue light and improve sleep: a randomized trial. 12-26-09

The impact of light from computer monitors on melatonin levels in college students. 2011

Cones Support Alignment to an Inconsistent World by Suppressing Mouse Circadian Responses to the Blue Colors Associated with Twilight 12-16-19

search result

NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information)

NLM ( National Library of Medicine)

NIH ( National Institutes of Health )

If you read what I wrote I said that there are programs you can download to mitigate that so why spend money on something you can get for free. They change the picture on the screen to a yellowish colour so you don’t need them I’m well aware of the affects of blue lite i was a gamer and I gamed 16h at a time obviously with breaks but in saying that it’s a wast of money to by them.

If you read what I wrote I said that there are programs you can download to mitigate that so why spend money on something you can get for free.
Not all blue light is from electronics. What about ambient light? Bathroom light. Living room light. Instead of changing bulbs, blue blocker glasses takes care of business.

Not all blue light is from electronics. What about ambient light? Bathroom light. Living room light. Instead of changing bulbs, blue blocker glasses takes care of business.
Get melatonin sup take one 30 to 45 mins before bed problem solved. I use to take them when I gamed none stop but up to the op if they want to spend there money on it but I wouldn’t. Prior to blue light being a thing it didn’t affect people’s lives so why should it now.

Take a pill. Eat too much sugar and you get insulin resistance / pre-type 2 diabetes? Take a pill. Why find out the cause (diet) and reverse it? Do what the doctor says. Keep your head in the sand. No thanks.

Top Bottom