What's new

Preparing for Trekking the Mountains in 2021

Always had an odd attraction for the AR7. So, as this year I plan on spending a lot more time hiking in the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains, and the acquisition these cool little rifle is getting VERY difficult, figured I'd latch on to one before they too vanish. Henry makes a quality rifle and the overall functionality of the AR7 is well documented. And at $20.00 less than MSRP...no question.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 3.59.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.01.01 PM.png

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Always had an odd attraction for the AR7. So, as this year I plan on spending a lot more time hiking in the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains, and the acquisition these cool little rifle is getting VERY difficult, figured I'd latch on to one before they too vanish. Henry makes a quality rifle and the overall functionality of the AR7 is well documented. And at $20.00 less than MSRP...no question.

View attachment 1217253View attachment 1217254

Many years ago, I bought an Armalite from an estate sale for $85. Sold it at the Tulsa gun show for $350. :)

We had an AR7 to pop car struck deer with. I found it to be an awkward little rifle to shoot. If I planned carry a .22 weapon in a pack, I would rather have a Ruger MK pistol.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have one of the older Charter arms AR7’s and while not a total piece of junk it is very finicky. Run it too dry or too wet and it jams, the original mag was garbage, and the balance of it is way off. I’ve had it close to probably 30yrs and have figured it out enough that I trust it. Because it floats it goes on canoe/fishing trips. I have a Ruger 10/22 takedown that I take with me more often than the AR 7. I would bet that Henry’s fit/finish and QC is probably better that Charter’s. Mine also only came with and will only hold one mag.
D0692FDE-1714-430B-BA07-A4F399E01975.jpeg
6ACEDCB4-BF01-4600-959E-59B9E7ACC3FC.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have one of the older Charter arms AR7’s and while not a total piece of junk it is very finicky. Run it too dry or too wet and it jams, the original mag was garbage, and the balance of it is way off. I’ve had it close to probably 30yrs and have figured it out enough that I trust it. Because it floats it goes on canoe/fishing trips. I have a Ruger 10/22 takedown that I take with me more often than the AR 7. I would bet that Henry’s fit/finish and QC is probably better that Charter’s. Mine also only came with and will only hold one mag. View attachment 1217559View attachment 1217560

Correct-a-mundo. If you can find the Ram-Line curved mag, and hold it back: the rifle will fire 100%, all 25 rounds.

Never ever could get any number of factory mags to NOT jam. (I should get some 22 snapcaps)

The 10/22 takedown, on the other hand, is totally reliable. And there's a cool underfolder to make it even smaller.

AA

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
A Henry AR-7 is on my wishlist. I've got an AR-7 Industries version, and it's always been disappointing. I hear the Henrys are better.

Top Bottom