What's new

Prep Pre-shave

Hello, I'm new to using Prep as a pre-shave. In fact, I've never really used a pre-shave before. I've noticed that in between passes, when I wet my face again prior to reapplying my soap, my skin is a lot drier than I expected it to be. I use a modest amount of Prep to my wet face before lathering. Should I use more of the pre-shave on my face, initially? Should it be massaged well into your beard, or just lightly applied? Thanks.

I've not personally used Prep brand but I've got a good amount of experience with proraso pre cream and I've read many times that they are a comparable product. With proraso pre you want to use a very small amount. It's common for people new to this product to not like it, find it very thick, and find it very gummy. It's purpose is to help soften hair, your slickness and cushion come from your lather. Try using a very small amount and see if that helps. With proraso you literally just need 1 small dot/dab on each side of your face, maybe an extra small dot/dab on your neck, and that's it. The way someone explained it to me was after you rub it in to your skin if you see a white layer you used too much, if you see a glossy sheen you are good.

I've not personally used Prep brand but I've got a good amount of experience with proraso pre cream and I've read many times that they are a comparable product. With proraso pre you want to use a very small amount. It's common for people new to this product to not like it, find it very thick, and find it very gummy. It's purpose is to help soften hair, your slickness and cushion come from your lather. Try using a very small amount and see if that helps. With proraso you literally just need 1 small dot/dab on each side of your face, maybe an extra small dot/dab on your neck, and that's it. The way someone explained it to me was after you rub it in to your skin if you see a white layer you used too much, if you see a glossy sheen you are good.
Thanks very much. It sounds like I might be using too much. I'll try what you've suggested. Thanks again.

I use a thin layer of Prep then apply a hot towel for 30+ seconds. Then I use it before the second pass in "trouble" areas like the chin and upper lip. Very cooling as an aftershave balm too. Great product.

Yes, if you watch videos on YouTube of Italian barbers giving hot shaves they almost always do: proraso/prep pre cream, hot towel, lather, shave

Thanks all. I just shaved and tried some of your suggestions and I think it made a difference. I appreciate your help.

Thanks very much. It sounds like I might be using too much. I'll try what you've suggested. Thanks again.

Over-application, even to a very moist face, would certainly lead to trouble. You don’t need much Prep, and it should be more or less fully absorbed into your skin before applying lather.

Top Bottom