What's new

PREP pre-shave how it is?

First of all, Prep tub contains 75ml vs 100ml for Proraso

I have both and enjoy both. Prep is more mild, more camphor than menthol and not as strong as Proraso.

It’s a valid product and an Italian classic pre/post shave. Worth trying!

I find that Prep is nice and ton less on the cooling compared to Proraso Green. It is nice and worth a try, just don't expect a big bang in the Menthol category. It is more like the consistency of the Proraso Red Pre than the Green Pre.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Better than Proraso? That's subjective. Prep, Proraso, 3P all make a similar product. Italian Barber likes 3p the best. 3p and Prep are marketed as a "jack of all trades" (pre, post & shave) product where Proraso has their separate pre, post, and shave products.

I like Prep, I bought the 250ml jar from WCS for $11.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Are Prep and 3P similar to Noxzema?

Original or modern? I ask more out of curiosity and clarification, I'm not very familiar with Noxema old or new. But their formula has changed over the years.

BTW, Prep was originally made in the U.S. and now made in Italy. My guess is their formula may have changed over the years too.

I'm also interested in the comparison to Noxzema. My whiskers soften in very hot water, and I find I can get by with water that isn't quite as hot if I use some Noxzema first. Just wondering if the increased cost for the others is worth it over Noxzema or not.

Better than Proraso? That's subjective. Prep, Proraso, 3P all make a similar product. Italian Barber likes 3p the best. 3p and Prep are marketed as a "jack of all trades" (pre, post & shave) product where Proraso has their separate pre, post, and shave products.

I like Prep, I bought the 250ml jar from WCS for $11.
That's an excellent price. My 75 ml came yesterday.

Original or modern? I ask more out of curiosity and clarification, I'm not very familiar with Noxema old or new. But their formula has changed over the years.

BTW, Prep was originally made in the U.S. and now made in Italy. My guess is their formula may have changed over the years too.

Noxema started out as a treatment for sunburn and dry skin. Then it started to be used as a cleansing cream. The formula is still the same more or less.

That makes me wonder if cold cream or a heavy moisturizer wouldn't work just as well as a preshave. I'm not the biggest fan of oil as a preshave, but I also think the prices charged for conventional preshaves are ridiculous.

Walmart has a Noxzema clone that uses Noxzema's original formula called Equate it costs about $3 for 12oz jar

Equate.jpeg

Walmart has a Noxzema clone that uses Noxzema's original formula called Equate it costs about $3 for 12oz jar

I ordered some in my last shipment from Amazon. I've never tried Noxema before. It's a cheap gamble, but it might not work out as I have somewhat sensitive skin.

I am looking for a similar, unfragranced product.

I've used Ponds cold cream before (not for shaving, though) and I'm thinknig possibly that might work, as it has some heavyweight ingredients like beeswax. Next time I'm at a dollar store, I will look for some of this to try out.

I am looking for a similar, unfragranced product.

I've used Ponds cold cream before (not for shaving, though) and I'm thinknig possibly that might work, as it has some heavyweight ingredients like beeswax and petroleum jelly. Next time I'm at a dollar store, I will look for some of this to try out.

I have also used Cetaphil, and yes I do have a pre-shave rotation. almost any skin moisturizer will work. remember the point of a pre-shave is to hydrate and soften the skin so it yields under the blade. preventing cuts and razor burn.

cetaphil.png

The Noxema just arrived, BTW. There's a bit of separation in the product. It looks more like an old fashioned brushless shaving cream, sort of like Barbasol in the vintage tube. Not surprising since stearic acid is the second ingredient and it has no modern surfactants. The ingredients say to use it like soap, and it seems to work fine this way. Though it has eucalyptus, it's more refreshing and toning than bracing like Proraso. The smell is a bit much, though. I notice lots of camphor, for instance.

I think preshave is a great idea because washing your face just isn't enough time to hydrate ones beard (and not all of us shower every day). Rubbing in some preshave gives more time for the hair cuticle to soften.

While I do think moisturization is good, I think the products have to interact well with lather. I have noticed shave oil can actually make it harder to lather at times with certain products.

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan

^^^ This is much closer to the old Noxema formula than actual modern Noxema is. It's been a while since I looked into it but the CVS (or Walgreens/both?) brand is very similar to the old Noxema as well.

Edit: Never mind, I found the old thread I was looking for. Lots of good info regarding Noxema vs the store brands...

Noxema vs Generics

PREP ingredients list: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Parrafinum Liquidum, Camphor, Menthol, Eugenia Caryophyillus Flower Oil (clove oil), Eugenol, Mentha Piperita Oil, Limonene, Methyl Salicylate, Thymol, Sorbitol, Potassium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Pottasium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Ammonium Hydroxide

PREP is the only like product that contains clove oil, just like the original formula Noxema did. IMO, Prep is closer to original Noxema than anything else I've used.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Wow, interesting discusison about the different formulations of Noxema. I didn't know phenol = carbolic acid. That's very "old school". I can see why it wouldn't need additional preservatives, and why it has a reputation as being useful for acne. There's lots of ingredients in this stuff that are highly antibacterial.

The Amazon Solimo version of Noxema I have has phenol and looks very "old school".

Last edited:
I just did a shave with a Noxema prep. I got an awesome shave, almost completely BBS, despite the fact I was using a Bic Sensitive disposbale. I was using a really cheap soap, too: Amerfresh, which is a Chinese glycerine shave soap sold to prisons and mental hospitals.

So you don't need high end products to get a great shave.

Top Bottom