What's new

PREP pre-shave how it is?

Yup, look at the ingredients lists. The 'good stuff' is way up there on PREP's, not so much with the others.
I just came from Walmart and checked out the Equate. Similar to old Noxzema but no comparison to PREP. This PREP is the real deal. AND a great deal on large jar from Walmart. To good to pass up.

PREP is a historic brand originally formulated in the USA in 1860.
PREP now belongs to the Coswell S.P.A. Group. Their HQ is located north of the city of Bologna, Italy (in 40050 Funo).
Production sites are in different places.
Either all or at least some PREP products are produced in the Republic of San Marino, not in Italy.
The companies in question are LC Beauty S.p.A. and LCS (stands for "Laboratorio Chimico-Farmaceutico Sammarinese").

I've used Proraso Green pre-shave cream on & off for a while now. I've concluded that it makes a difference in not only ease & smoothness of a shave, but, in conjunction with a great soap, even contributes to extended blade longivity. Proraso has an almost cult-following, which largely comes from actual results of their product.

I recently stumbled upon some Dove for Men Ultra Hydra Cream. I actually wanted the short, wide container for another purpose, and 99¢ seemed a reasonable price. It's great for dry hands and knuckles, and on a whim, I rubbed some all over my face prior to a shave. Currently I'm using 2 different blades daily, using different razors every day from my collection in shaving rotation. I settled on an optimum soap that, for me, gives better, smoother & irritation free shaves better than anything else in my soap inventory. The Dove stuff makes a big difference in blade longevity & shave quality, especially for blades used for more than 3-4 shaves already.
Today I tried another variable that seems to further enhance my already better-than-I-deserve shaves using my "lesser-performing razors": I simply added 4 more drops of glycerin to my shave bowl while lathering up my daily cream. It is a version to my favorite blend of creams that I've already added glycerine to. A few drops more makes it even slicker.

I'm considering trying the Walmart Equate cream to see how it performs compared to Prorasso & the Dove stuff. IMO, Proraso does a great job at doing what it's expected to do, but maybe so do other, less spendy options.

I've used Proraso Green pre-shave cream on & off for a while now. I've concluded that it makes a difference in not only ease & smoothness of a shave, but, in conjunction with a great soap, even contributes to extended blade longivity. Proraso has an almost cult-following, which largely comes from actual results of their product.

I recently stumbled upon some Dove for Men Ultra Hydra Cream. I actually wanted the short, wide container for another purpose, and 99¢ seemed a reasonable price. It's great for dry hands and knuckles, and on a whim, I rubbed some all over my face prior to a shave. Currently I'm using 2 different blades daily, using different razors every day from my collection in shaving rotation. I settled on an optimum soap that, for me, gives better, smoother & irritation free shaves better than anything else in my soap inventory. The Dove stuff makes a big difference in blade longevity & shave quality, especially for blades used for more than 3-4 shaves already.
Today I tried another variable that seems to further enhance my already better-than-I-deserve shaves using my "lesser-performing razors": I simply added 4 more drops of glycerin to my shave bowl while lathering up my daily cream. It is a version to my favorite blend of creams that I've already added glycerine to. A few drops more makes it even slicker.

I'm considering trying the Walmart Equate cream to see how it performs compared to Prorasso & the Dove stuff. IMO, Proraso does a great job at doing what it's expected to do, but maybe so do other, less spendy options.

You are in the wrong thread. This thread is about the brand "PREP", not Proraso.
Never mind. :001_smile

You are in the wrong thread. This thread is about the brand "PREP", not Proraso.
Never mind. :001_smile
Noxema and Equate had already been added to expand the scope of this Prep thread. I was just adding to further product broadening ... You're welcome ;>)

@ShaverAZ You are right. I guess it is due to a misunderstanding of the title. PREP is a brand of its own. Some take it as a general abbreviation of "pre-shave" or "preparation for shaving".

PREP is a historic brand originally formulated in the USA in 1860.
PREP now belongs to the Coswell S.P.A. Group. Their HQ is located north of the city of Bologna, Italy (in 40050 Funo).
Production sites are in different places.
Either all or at least some PREP products are produced in the Republic of San Marino, not in Italy.
The companies in question are LC Beauty S.p.A. and LCS (stands for "Laboratorio Chimico-Farmaceutico Sammarinese").

I still like your post with your experience of the Proraso Green Pre-Shave. I never tried it so far. I might give it a try though. If I use pre-shaves I usually use pre-shave oil.

Top Bottom