What's new

Premium Packaging

Some discussions and product on this board have me wondering about the value of premium packaging for products. When Raw shaving was operating, I really wanted an RS-10. When reading reviews about the razor, one of the things mentioned as the premium packaging that the razor came in. When I looked at the cost of this razor I often wondered how much of the cost went into the packaging (after all, the cost of the packaging adds to the final price). I also wondered the same thing when I looked at Sebum products. I have to admit that packaging is not that important to me. I'm always more interested in the product than the container it comes in. How do you guys feel about premium packaging? Are you willing to pay the higher price just have a product with premium packaging? What say you?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I don't care too much about premium packaging. I think the packaging should be adequate, that's all. I saw the packaging of the RS-10 and it was obviously over the board. Also, there is a difference between the packaging being premium and being unique and interesting. I am all for unique and interesting. For example, I really liked the Tatara Razors packaging.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I often wondered how much of the cost went into the packaging (after all, the cost of the packaging adds to the final price)
I agree.

I don't want to pay for fancy packaging ... and yes, it IS factored into the final price, no matter what a salesman might say about "free" and "complimentary".

1593535228569.png

Typically, I just want the packaging to suffice to get the product to me, protected from damage. Occasionally, the packaging is intended for long-term, repeat storage of the product. But that's uncommon.

But a big flashy, expensive "deluxe" packaging? Spare me!!

I think premium packaging is something that feeds into the owning experience for some people. Like when buying an expensive watch or the top of the line smartphone. I don't want fancy boxes but I did find it interesting that some of the same iPhone owners who found joy in opening the package would not then put their phone in any protective case for day-to-day use.

If I did not read your post, I would have expected the packing for a "Raw Shaving" product to be extremely basic or plain in order to tie in with the brand.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm a "function over form" guy. I'm all for aesthetics and understand it's role in marketing, but I do not care for packaging that spends a lot on looks and serves no other purpose. It's a waste on many levels and turns me right off.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
While philosophically I'd say I am of the form follows function ilk, truth be told part of the appeal of some of the older razors is in their cases. And I think that the packaging where used for storage and protection is worthwhile .. though a built-in elevator for the razor might have added a wee bit to the price

bostonian.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Although I am sure it is factored into the price, I think having nice packaging on a "luxury" item is part of the experience.

If you are dropping hundreds, or even thousands on something as utilitarian as a razor or a pen it better have a nice box.

_DSF0242small.jpg

I do think "inner" packaging is important for an item that may need long term storage or protection. A good example is a set of tools, e.g. sockets, wrenches, drill bits, etc. where the storage case for the items is almost as important as the tool itself. But I find premium packaging a turn off when the packaging will soon be in the garage bin. I can see some value in an elaborate bottle of aftershave or whiskey, as they may become part of the decor for some time, but not in the outer box they arrive it.

The ONLY reason I kept that packaging for any of my razor purchases was a recognition that having said packaging was a "+" if/when it cam time to move it out the door.

A W&B razor is going to sell no matter what, but the ability to throw in a coffin box is going to ease any price dithering.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Watches.

Typically, a "modestly expensive" watch (hundred bucks and up?) will come in a little cardboard box, usually with a little "watch pillow" or some such thing to keep the band in "wrist shape".

1594061730985.png

Okay, fair enough, and it's somewhere to keep the owner's manual with the watch until delivered to me. But once I get that watch out, and the manual and other paperwork ... the box hits the bin asap.

Now, a while ago I bought a Citizen eco-drive dive watch for about $150. It came in a box that, to me, seemed larger than needed for purpose.

1594061939762.png

I open the box and instead of seeing my new watch, I see this contraption:

1594061987235.png

Did they send me the wrong thing? Let's take a closer look ...

1594062449466.png

I finally figure out how to get it open and ...

1594062534080.png

Now, do I really need all that nonsense, instead of this:

1594062587285.png

Interesting discussion.....

Earlier this year I was in the market for a new electric toothbrush and given it was going to be used while in hospital didn't want to shell out a lot of money (its not the environment to have nice things). Having previous poor experience with the $10 - $20 Braun AA powered models I decided to upgrade and went with a well reviewed Chinesium unit from Amazon sold under the Fairywill brand (as an aside, another questionable choice in brand names is the HoLife portable vacuum...possibly odd name but it does have great sucking abilities). It arrived in a very impressive outer box in a sort of book format with embedded magnets to keep it latched shut. The collection of smaller boxes nested inside were all in a nice matte black thick paper. Honestly, my Amex Platinum card wasn't packaged as nice as a fifty buck toothbrush. As a bonus, the toothbrush is excellent. Certainly as good as any Braun or Philips I've previously owned. But back to the packaging. Did I expect that something I thought was inexpensive to be packaged do extravagantly? No, of course not. Would have been happier if they spent less on what most people promptly discard and instead include a couple extra brush heads.

On the other end of the packaging spectrum is Italian Barber and their RazoRock razors. If I've shelled out north of $150 on a razor it would be nice for them to put in a bit of effort with the packaging and it be more than tissue paper and crappy cardboard box or tube. That said the Wunderbar slant I purchased last month did come with a nice leather case so they get a partial pass and actually provided something I appreciate.

For a premium item be it a razor, watch, credit card, etc. its always struck me as very good marketing practice to include something functional that is discretely and tastefully marked with the company's brand. The IB razor case would be a good example if they actually branded it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Watches.

Typically, a "modestly expensive" watch (hundred bucks and up?) will come in a little cardboard box, usually with a little "watch pillow" or some such thing to keep the band in "wrist shape".

View attachment 1122414

Okay, fair enough, and it's somewhere to keep the owner's manual with the watch until delivered to me. But once I get that watch out, and the manual and other paperwork ... the box hits the bin asap.

Now, a while ago I bought a Citizen eco-drive dive watch for about $150. It came in a box that, to me, seemed larger than needed for purpose.

View attachment 1122417

I open the box and instead of seeing my new watch, I see this contraption:

View attachment 1122419

Did they send me the wrong thing? Let's take a closer look ...

View attachment 1122420

I finally figure out how to get it open and ...

View attachment 1122421

Now, do I really need all that nonsense, instead of this:

View attachment 1122422
As a child of four can plainly see, these envelopes have been hermetically sealed. They've been kept in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnalls' porch since noon today.

I like nice packaging, but sometimes the packaging is extravagant, and once I see such, I begin to wonder what that adds to the price. I admit to being the kind of guy who only keeps the box in case I sale the product.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Why is it that delicate eggs come packaged in thin, brittle styrofoam, yet indestructible batteries come packaged in hard-as-steel clear clamshells requiring an Exacto knife and a hospital visit?

Good point. I have the Lambda Athena which came in a gorgeous mahogany presentation box and the Chiseled Face Legacy Brass razor which came in a carved out block of aluminum. They are both on display in their cases.
Now this is a bit off point but when I ordered the original GreenCult razor the shipping packaging was hilarious. Inside the razor was fine...but when it arrived it looked like it had been in a rugby game.
145EBAC4-3F17-44A7-8B65-8C2660C75639.jpeg
FC9E0997-D4CB-455E-9A36-D7A274863BF7.jpeg
41E80936-194E-4B58-992C-93B5ED0DFFDA.jpeg
IMG_2515 3.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I generally do not keep packaging. So my desire is for it to be as minimal and readily recyclable as possible. If you buy something in packaging more ornate than the typical flocked molded plastic in a stiff cardboard box, such as a fitted wooden case, it might make sense if you wanted to put it to use. Since wet shaving gear generally involves water, putting a razor in a fancy wooden box sounds like a bad idea to me. For other things like watches, fountain pens, fly reels, etc., special packaging sounds as if the items will be stored rather than used regularly.

Top Bottom