What's new

Premium DE blade smack-down

A B&B member posed a question that made a lot of sense to me: with good blades, can you really tell one blade from another?

Obviously, if you’re comparing bad blades with good, you can - and pretty easily. However, with really good blades, but are the differences that significant? I’m not sure if a “scientific” test is possible, but there’s no harm studying the difference in blades under consistent conditions.

On week 1, I’m comparing Gillette Silver Blue. On week 2, it's Polsilver Super Iridium, then Astra and Feather on weeks 3 and 4. If interest warrants, I may add other blades.

I’m using the same procedure for all of the shaves mentioned here.

1. I soak my face with a shaving cloth heated to 125-150•F for about four minutes.
  2. I massage 6-8 drops of grape seed oil into my skin for around twenty seconds
  3. I use an Omega boar shaving brush and Honeybee shaving soap for lathering.
  4. I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum ATG result; usually, that means two passes, with enough touch-ups for a smooth shave. I use a Muhle R41, and the typical blade will last around 6-7 shaves. I shave as lightly as the blade allows.
  5. No additional lotion or aftershave - just a rinse of warm water to end the shave.

The first blade....
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BLADE #1: GILLETTE SILVER BLUE

Shave #1
Used light pressure throughout the shave.
On the first pass, most of the whiskers shaved off easily, though I did get a small weeper that didn’t require styptic. While still on the same pass, I shaved a little more on the trouble areas - the chin, and under the neck.
On the second pass, I took time to shave the mustache area - where I usually have the problems, but the razor sliced through easily.
When I was done shaving, I still noticed there was a rough spot on my neck, under my chin, that I didn’t catch. But the shave itself was relative fast - about five minutes.

Shave #2
Used light pressure throughout the shave.
The whole experience was almost identical to Shave #1, except no weeper, and my cheeks weren’t as smooth as expected - might be a fault of my shaving.
The shave only took about five minutes total.

Shave #3
Again, used light pressure throughout.
No nicks, no cuts, very smooth for the six minute shave.
I noticed it took a little more effort to clean up the trouble area - under the chin.
Also, the mustache area isn’t as smooth as shaves 1 and 2; it’s almost as if there’s an very slight stubble.
Cheeks are very smooth, unlike shaves 1 and 2.

Shave #4
Light pressure, as usual.
Smooth shave, though I had a small nick, blood stopped quickly.
I had to use slightly more pressure, especially on the neck area.
Mustache shaved with slightly more difficulty than before; not a big thing, but it’s noticeable.

Shave #5
Light pressure, but additional pressure was needed in the trouble areas: the neck, mustache, jaw.
Not quite as effortless as shaves 1 through 3, and extra strokes were needed on the rougher areas.
Overall, the shave was smooth, though it took around 7 minutes shave this time. It’s clear that this blade is wearing down a bit - but I still got a good shave. These GSBs last well.

Shave #6
Light pressure again.
The mustache area took additional time to shave, but results weren’t as clean as shave 1-3.
Cleanup was needed on the jaw area, with added pressure to force a smooth shave. The chin is still slightly stubbly - which I can see and feel.
While it would be easy to coax a few more shaves from the blade, it’s clear that the blade has passed its prime. It took around nine minutes to shave.

The Gillette Silver Blue is sharp and smooth, and it’s easy to push the blade without much decline in comfort. But I decided not to push it. The GSB clearly shaves best on shaves 1-3, and 4 is almost as good. 5 is satisfactory, but it’s around 6 where dullness starts to hurt its efficiency.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

NEXT WEEK: POLSILVER SUPER IRIDIUM
________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:
Nice writeup. Other than feathers being a notch above in sharpness (and ease of cutting yourself), I get virtually identical shaves from most of the well reviewed blades, so I'll be interested to see the results. Maybe throw on Personna blues because like Astra they're another well regarded cheap blade

It would be nice to add a Personna Med Prep or Lab Blue to the comparison.
If you do not have any of these, just PM me and I can send you a couple.

I can tell a difference between those four blades but also have at least 1 or 2 hundred of each so I like them all and can get good shaves from all of them. I like the comments about adding Personna Labs or Meds to the test.

Great write up and your effort is appreciated. I'd throw Crystal's into the mix too. They're great for me anyway. Regardless, I'm subscribed.

This is like one of those dang tv shows when its getting really goodn then the episode ends and gotta wait another week. Good review of the Gillettes. Cant wait to see more reviews.

Funny that this thread is here today. I did a similar thing. But just for the hell of it I tested 4 blades in one shave. What am I crazy. I layed the blades out and used a Merkur HD for my test. My blades were the GSB, Polsilver Iridiums, meds and Lab Blues. I have used all 4 before and like them all. But to test them all side by side in one shave was interesting. Switched them out every few strokes. My logic is my skin, prep and lather would be exactly the same for all the blades rather than on different days. What I experienced was a actually kind of amazing. The difference in feel from blade to blade was very noticeable. Kind of like tasting wines side by side. For me the clear winner was the Gillette Silver Blue. It was the only blade that had absolutely no tugging. It felt so smooth gliding over my face. I would have enjoyed any one of these on their own. But side by side the GSB really shined. Curious how it fares over my next few shaves. Also very curious to read the rest of this thread as your shaves continue. I will be reading. Great thread.

Last edited:
BLADE #2: POLSILVER SUPER IRIDIUM

I read the remarks, and I’m pretty sure I’m going to add the Personna Med Preps, as well as a cheaper blade for comparison’s sake.

Last week, I finished my six-day run with the Gillette Silver Blue - one of my favorites for its balance of smoothness and sharpness. I’ll add a new blade every week and write up my comments.

As before, I’m using the following prep for every shave:

1. I soak my face for about four minutes at 125-150•F with a shaving cloth.
  2. I massage 6-8 drops of grape seed oil into my skin for around twenty seconds. This reduces tugging significantly on my razor.
  3. I use an Omega boar shaving brush and, as of this blade, a new puck of Honeybee shaving soap.
  4. Typically, I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum ATG result; that usually means two passes, with enough touch-ups for a smooth shave. I use the respected Muhle R41, and the typical blade will last around 6-7 shaves. I shave as lightly as the blade allows.
  5. Rinse with with warm water.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Shave #1
Blade pressure, as always, is light.
I didn’t get a long soak this time, but the first pass was still close and smooth. Zero discomfort, no nicks or cuts.
On the second pass, even the mustache area was close and smooth, though there was slight skin irritation on the mustache that lasted about fifteen minutes.
Certainly not 100% BBS, but it’s still a solid ATG shave. I’ve come to realize that, for me, the Polsilver blades provide a wound-free shave, every time. The shave took about six minutes.

Shave #2
As usual, blade pressure is light, and with enough foam to allow the shave to be smooth.
Close shave, but it was harder to shave the mustache area than usual. I notice I'm using slightly more pressure.
Slight irritation around my mustache again that lasted ten minutes. Something’s off here. I believe that, with shave 1, I hadn’t sufficiently soaked my beard, and that may be why the shave is becoming rough. The shave itself is longer than I expected - seven minutes.
This confirms something I've known for some time; if a beard is not fully softened before shaving, the blade will wear down more quickly.

I’m going to reboot the Polsilver trial. On Tuesday, I’m starting with a new blade. Let's see if that makes a difference.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NEXT WEEK: ASTRA SUPER PLATINUM
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:
BLADE #2: POLSILVER SUPER IRIDIUM (REDUX)

The last time, I tried the Polsilvers, but I suspected that inadequate prep kept me from a good shave. So, I’m using a new blade, and starting a new trial.

I’m using the same prep for every shave:

1. I soak my face for about four minutes at 125-150•F with a shaving cloth. I’d like to use a shower while shaving…but then there’s the drought.
  2. I massage 6-8 drops of grape seed oil into my skin for around twenty seconds. This eliminates all tugging for me.
  3. I use an Omega boar shaving brush and, as of this blade, a new puck of Honeybee shaving soap.
  4. Typically, I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum DFS result; that usually means two passes, with touch-ups. I use the respected Muhle R41, and the typical blade will usually last around 6-7 shaves. I shave as lightly as the blade allows; added effort shaving usually means the blade is losing its edge.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Shave #1
Immediately, I notice that the blade is quite sharp. The shave is a little less smooth than a GSB. The jaw area is quite clean.
I also notice a small amour of razor burn on the mustache area; I shaved this area a little more carefully, hence the burn.
Otherwise, the quality of shave #1 is distinguishable from, say, a GSB.
About six minute shave.

(A general thing I noticed is that there’s a substantial difference between a every-day shave schedule and a two- or three-day schedule. With two days, it’s much easier to get a BBS result, since the blades have more purchase on the beard. With one day, the beard is shorter to start off with, which results with a DFS results at best - unless I spend much longer on the touch-ups.)

Shave #2
Close, smooth shave - but not quite BBS thanks to the mustache and neck area. No discomfort, except for some resistance on the mustache. Seven minute shave.

Shave #3
Another close shave, though there’s the under-the-neck whiskers that don’t seem to disappear when I’m on a one-day shaving schedule.
No discomfort or irritation, but I did get a small nick near the lip. I notice I’m applying additional pressure to clean up the neck area.
Six minute shave.

Shave #4
The same as #3, except there’s more resistance when shaving slowly; I have to speed up the strokes to avoid pulling, particularly on the chin and mustache.
Seven minute shave.

Shave #5
The blade is beginning to require additional pressure, especially on the chin and neck. My shave is about as close as before; it’s just more pressure and time is needed. Small nick on the jaw, drawing a touch of blood.
In other words, I’m shaving with more pressure, and that’s increasing the chance of nicks and cuts. This blade has lost significant sharpness.
Eight minute shave.

Shave #6
Although I apply light pressure along my jaw - the easiest part of the shave - it’s nearly impossible to get a smooth shave on the neck. Continued resistance on the mustache, though results are pretty smooth. I’m pretty sure I could squeeze out a few more shaves from this blade, but it’s not remotely close to a new blade. Eight minute plus shave.

I started getting resistance from this blade from shave #2, especially in the mustache. Although the shave quality was very good overall (at least until shave #6), the Polsilver isn’t what I’d call “smooth,” and irritation (even bleeding) is likely if you shave an area too insistently. But I did like how the wax is well away from the blade (an issue that GSB could think about). Polsilver seems to excel with a two-day shave interval, but one day isn't anything to write home about.

NEXT BLADE: ASTRA SUPERIOR PLATINUM

BLADE #3: ASTRA SUPERIOR PLATINUM

The value champ ($11 for 100 blades) is also one of my favorite blades - and winner of a recent B&B poll for best blade.

1. I soak my face for about four minutes at 125-150•F with a shaving cloth. The drought has kept me from my beloved shower shave.
  2. I massage 6-8 drops of grape seed oil into my skin for around twenty seconds.
  3. I use an Omega boar shaving brush and Honeybee shaving soap.
  4. I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum DFS result; that means two passes or so, with touch-ups. I use the R41, and a good blade will usually last around 6-7 shaves. I shave as lightly as the blade allows.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Shave #1
Smooth first shave, though I got two small nicks.
Some resistance on the mustache area, but it shaved easily by the second pass; this clearly isn’t an expensive blade, but it shaves as well or better than most anything else in its price range.

(As usual, with a one-day turnaround, it isn’t close to BBS; slight roughness on the neck. It seems most shavers prefer to shave DFS.)

Shave #2
Especially smooth shave (except the neck) thanks to massaging the face vigorously against the grain with a terrycloth towel prior to shaving; I’ll have to reincorporate this back into my routine.
Two small nicks, with an overall DFS, no bleeding.
Seven minute shave, including the extra part of the routine I mentioned parenthetically.

(I just discovered a B&B FAQ that seems to answer a question I posed yesterday. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Pre-shave_prep I’ll start using it when I’m finished with this blade experiment.)

Shave #3
While the cheek shaved smoothly, as usual, there was more resistance with the chin and throat than before. Despite this, the shave seems as close as before. Blade clearly isn’t as sharp as day #1 and #2.
No irritation, but I felt a little soreness that dissipated in minutes.

Shave #4
So far as final results are concerned, it’s just as smooth as before - though we’re not talking BBS. And it’s certainly not as smooth as before, and mustache was very resistant; one modest nick while trying to clean up this area.
I’m using only a little more pressure than usual, mostly in the mustache and neck, though there’s some minor soreness - something that I noticed since shave #3.

Shave #5
On the cheek, the shave is just as smooth as before - maybe better. No difference with the neck, either. The big difference is with the mustache; even after shaving any number of directions, it was kind of rough, and the results should have been much smoother.
Moreover, I find that my face is a little sore afterwards, as if I’d been applying too much pressure for a good shave. This blade won’t get better.

The Astra offers two very good shaves, but the quality drops off from there. This blade is not in the same quality class as GSB or Polsilver (much less Feather), but that’s not the point. Astra offers a good value, an old dependable that offers consistent quality every time.
____________________________________________________________________________________

NEXT BLADE: FEATHER Hi-STAINLESS PLATINUM COATED
____________________________________________________________________________________

BLADE #4: FEATHER HI-STAINLESS

This is generally thought to be the sharpest shaving blade currently made - with one of the widest range of prices (anywhere from $25 to $50 for 100 blades).

1. I soak my face for about four minutes at 125-150•F with a shaving cloth. The drought has kept me from my beloved shower shave.
  2. I massage 6-8 drops of grape seed oil into my skin for around twenty seconds.
  4. I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum DFS result; that means two passes or so, with touch-ups. I use the R41, and a good blade will usually last around 6-7 shaves. I shave as lightly as the blade allows.

Shave #1
Feather is sharper and smoother than anything else out there, easily cleaning up mustache growth.
One light nick on my throat. I remember that one must pay special attention while using a Feather - especially a new blade. Six minute shave.

Shave #2
Another close, smooth shave, No nicks. There’s slightly more resistance on the mustache, but the shave is still clean and easy.
Slight soreness after finishing off the shave, but it disappeared in minutes.
Shave took about five minutes.

Shave #3
Yet another smooth, comfortable shave. There’s only slightly more resistance on the mustache than shave #2,
However, the shave isn’t quite as clean as before, especially considering the BBS-like cheek I noticed on shaves 1 and 2. It’s a rough comparison, but I'm feeling the quality of shave I get from new blades from other makers. That’s how good Feather is.
No roughness or soreness.
Six and a half minute shave.

Shave #4
Outstanding shave, with no resistance. Even the mustache area shaves easily. It’s the fourth day, and it’s almost like a new blade.
Almost. I can tell it’s not quite as sharp as before, since I don’t get the accidental weepers, but it’s clear that Feather is in a class by itself.
No irritation or soreness.

Shave #5
Very clean, smooth shave. Even the mustache area is easy to shave.
No weepers; while it doesn’t have the rapier sharpness of a new blade, the performance is similar to a GSB that’s maybe two or three shaves old.
No discomfort or soreness.
Six minute shave.

Shave #6
Yes, yet another clean, smooth shave. No nicks or cuts. Slightly less close on the jaw.
However, I did notice that the mustache was somewhat harder to cut, with more resistance than before. It’s more like a fourth shave with a Polsilver or GSB. In other words, Feather is shaping up to be about a third better shaving than my other top blades. And this is with an R41, which is supposed to result in blades that fail quickly.
Seven minute shave.

Shave #7
Although my cheeks are smooth, there’s slight roughness to the neck and chin, and a touch of mustache roughness. The mustache showed more resistance shaving, and it’s not as smooth as shaves 1-5. While the shave took more time overall, the shave was very good; the blade is just hanging on.
It takes more time to “buff up” the rough areas. There’s clearly enough life in this blade for one or maybe two more shaves, but I’ll retire it now.
Eight minute shave.

NEXT BLADE: GILLETTE BLACK SUPER PLATINUM

Fascinating, thank you. You are so much more organized than I. I have been working through a big blade sample pack, but I don't go into the detail you do, nor to I keep a blade going for more than three-four shaves.

So far, three clear winners: Astra SPs, Gillette Yellow 7 O'Clocks, Feathers. The rest are all also-rans.

BLADE #5: GILLETTE SEVEN O’CLOCK BLACK

The Gillette 7 O’Clock Black (Super Platinum) has a solid following - and happens to be by dad's blade of choice.

4. I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum DFS result; that means two passes or so, with touch-ups. I’ve begun using an ATT razor with an H2 plate (quite similar in aggressiveness to the R41). I shave as lightly as the blade allows.

Shave #1
A very smooth shave, and the blade really cut through my beard easily - especially the first pass. Clearly wasn’t as effortless as a Feather, but no nicks or cuts.
There was an ever so slight resistance on my mustache area, but the shave was clean and easy - even the inevitable ATG pass.
No nicks or cuts.
The first pass with the Feather and GSB was smoother.
Six minute shave.

Shave #2
Pretty smooth shave, aside from the usual slight stubbliness on the neck, and slight roughness on the chin. Cheek was outstanding.
No blood at all. Either I’m getting a lot more accurate, or the blade is losing some of its sharpness - maybe both.
Six minute shave plus.

Shave #3
Another pretty good shave, pretty much like #2, except there was more tugging in the chin, and I noticed I was using more pressure to shave the neck area. Still some slight stubbliness on the chin. Mustache wasn’t as effortless as shave #1, and there was added resistance ATG.
Cheek shaving is excellent, and the overall shave nearly identical to shaves #1 and 2.
Two small nicks, both caused by applying too much pressure to the chin.
Seven minute shave.

Shave #4
Shave quality is very smooth, especially on the jaw - typically close, otherwise. No blood or nicks.
I applied additional pressure on the chin and throat. There was slight more redness in the pressure areas; it disappeared after a few minutes. The mustache had some resistance, but still shaved satisfactorily.
Seven minute shave plus.

Shave #5
Again, shave is smooth - nearly identical to shaves #2 to #4.
There’s a slight decline in mustache shave quality and blade resistance - the blade can’t shave this as easily as shave #1.
Seven minute shave plus.

Shave #6
Pretty much the same as shaves #2 to 5 - smooth, and still a good overall shave.
The mustache and chin should be smoother, and it takes a little extra time to clean up the problem spots, but it’s basically an almost DFS shave.
I could probably continue shaving with this blade - the shave is still decent, but should be smoother.
Eight minute shave plus.

The first pass of shave #1 was exemplary. The decline in shave quality was only incremental from there, with solid DFS shaves every day since (albeit with longer shaves). It’s easy to see why the Gillette Black is so well liked.

NEXT POST: PERMASHARP STAINLESS

Last edited:
BLADE #4: FEATHER HI-STAINLESS

This is generally thought to be the sharpest shaving blade currently made - with one of the widest range of prices (anywhere from $25 to $50 for 100 blades).

Shave #1
Feather is sharper and smoother than anything else out there, easily cleaning up mustache growth.
One light nick on my throat. I remember that one must pay special attention while using a Feather - especially a new blade. Six minute shave.

Shave #2
Another close, smooth shave, No nicks. There’s slightly more resistance on the mustache, but the shave is still clean and easy.
Slight soreness after finishing off the shave, but it disappeared in minutes.
Shave took about five minutes.

Shave #3
Yet another smooth, comfortable shave. There’s only slightly more resistance on the mustache than shave #2,
However, the shave isn’t quite as clean as before, especially considering the BBS-like cheek I noticed on shaves 1 and 2. It’s a rough comparison, but I'm feeling the quality of shave I get from new blades from other makers. That’s how good Feather is.
No roughness or soreness.

Shave #4
Outstanding shave, with no resistance. Even the mustache area shaves easily. It’s the fourth day, and it’s almost like a new blade.
Almost. I can tell it’s not quite as sharp as before, since I don’t get the accidental weepers, but it’s clear that Feather is in a class by itself.
No irritation or soreness.

Shave #5
Very clean, smooth shave. Even the mustache area is easy to shave.
No weepers; while it doesn’t have the rapier sharpness of a new blade, the performance is similar to a GSB that’s maybe two or three shaves old.
No discomfort or soreness.
Six minute shave.

Shave #6
Yes, yet another clean, smooth shave. No nicks or cuts. Slightly less close on the jaw.
However, I did notice that the mustache was somewhat harder to cut, with more resistance than before. It’s more like a fourth shave with a Polsilver or GSB. In other words, Feather is shaping up to be about a third better shaving than my other top blades. And this is with an R41, which is supposed to result in blades that fail quickly.
Seven minute shave.

Shave #7
Although my cheeks are smooth, there’s slight roughness to the neck and chin, and a touch of mustache roughness. The mustache showed more resistance shaving, and it’s not as smooth as shaves 1-5. While the shave took more time overall, the shave was very good; the blade is just hanging on.
It takes more time to “buff up” the rough areas. There’s clearly enough life in this blade for one or maybe two more shaves, but I’ll retire it now.
Eight minute shave.

NEXT BLADE: GILLETTE BLACK SUPER PLATINUM

What's your summary for Feathers?

What's your summary for Feathers?

I had neglected to include a summary - and I can't edit that particular post. But a summary would go like this:

Feather blades are a notch above the competition so far. One blade can last a week or longer (depending on your use); it's at its peak with shaves #1 to 4, but even shaves #5 to 7 are smooth and enjoyable. Some shavers say they don't like Feather's rapier sharpness; that could be due to several factors - but the most common are (1) applying too much pressure and (2) shaving an area too long. With Feathers in particular, and DE blades in general, shave lightly. Let the blade do the work.

BLADE #6: GILLETTE PLATINUM

The Gillette Platinum is no longer being manufactured, but they can still be purchased online with some searching. It’s said to be the same blade as the renowned “Gillette Swede,” albeit in different packaging...but you can be the judge.

I’m using the same prep for my blade reviews:

4. I shave as long as it takes to achieve a minimum DFS result; that means two passes or so, with touch-ups. I’ve begun using an ATT razor with an H2 plate (similar in aggressiveness to the R41). I shave as lightly as the blade allows.

Shave #1
Very close, smooth shave - almost to the point of rubbing your face to feel how great it feels.
Even the tough areas, like the mustache and chin, shave easily. The throat needs more prep, is seems.
One nick, that’s all.
Six minute shave.

Shave #2
Close, comfortable shave - almost as good as shave #1.
No nicks or cuts.
Very slightly rougher on the chin and mustache.
A little more resistance on the mustache.
Six minute shave.

Shave #3
One small nick - otherwise, a close and comfortable shave.
Identical to shave #2.
I used a little more pressure than before, mostly on the mustache.
Six minute shave.

Shave #4
No nicks or cuts, a comfortable shave.
Trouble areas are slightly rough, and the chin and mustache could be smoother.
This blade is really beginning to lose it’s edge.
Seven minute shave.

Shave #5
No nicks or cuts…and the shave is a passing DFS. The usual slight stubble under the neck.
More resistance shaving the mustache, though results were satisfactory..
The face is hardly faceturbation smooth, but this time, it took a lot of shaving and buffing to do it. The fact that I’m shaving on a one-day turnaround is part of the issue; skipping a day between shaves always makes for a smoother shave.
It’s not that shave #5 is bad. It’s just that it isn’t good, and switching out the blade is the only guaranteed solution.
Nine minute shave.

The Gillette Platinum is a very good blade, but wear reliably grinds away the edge over time. Shaves #1 through 3 are close and smooth, but from here, dullness makes the blade less efficient. I’m sure I could get several more shaves from the blade, but it’s not worth the time and effort. The keen platinum edge doesn’t even seem noticeable.

NEXT POST: PERMASHARP STAINLESS

Last edited:
I still marvel at the depth of your reviews! The amount of time necessary to produce reviews with so much depth and detail is fantastic! Great job poikkeus!

Top Bottom