What's new

Preferred strop width.

Everybody! how are you today? well shaven, of course.;)
Done by a fantastic straight razor of course.;)
But how did that happen? o_OProbably because you used a properly sharpened razor sharpened on the appropriate strop. :D
So my question to all you razor stroppers.... do you prefer a 2.5 inch strop?
or 3 inch strop? :yinyang:
do prefer a heavier weight or lighter weight strop? ( leather weight in ounces 5 to 7 or 10 to 12)
if you choose to chime in this data, and why you make these choices, more power to you. The more counselors I have the better decision I can make. ( that statement is actually a paraphrase of a scripture in Proverbs) :angel:
Thank you so much for your expertise and time.:badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger:

I’m learning on a WD poorman’s. It’s been a fun, enjoyable experience so far but I wouldn’t mind the extra 0.5” of leather at all. I think learning the X stroke is important though, since it carries through to honing, makes you focus, and builds skill.

I prefer 2-1/4 to 2-1/2. The 3" strops are easy to use, but you will never have a cupping issue with the narrower strops.

I've got both 2.5's and 3's. I've got lighter and heavier... and I've only got this to say. Get what tickles your fancy and then get proficient with it.

Ok, ok. If I could only have one size, I'd go with a 2.5" - but if you are new, I would recommend a 3". I recommend the 3" because you can generally move up and down a 3" without "x"ing, which generally speaking means you are less likely to nick it. But I actually enjoy the x stroke so hence, the reason why I'd do the 2.5 if I could only have one.

Weight honestly means nothing to me. I have a kangaroo strop that's as light as light can be - it's great. I've got horse that's as heavy as can be - it's great. But none of them "sharpen" the blade. I just want to be clear about that. They straighten and maybe polish a little, but sharpen - not without a paiste of some sort on it. A strop maintains an edge.

Pick one. Have fun. You'll get another one soon enough.

Most of mine are 2.5". I have only one that is 3". It tends to get the bigger blades. Japanese razor prefer the Japanese strop, English razors gravitate towards the N. Miller, American towards the T. Miller. Razors are odd that way.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I have always liked the 2 1/2" width. Very traditional and visually the proportions, especially with a handle just look right. That said probably 85% of my customers buy 3" strops which are easier to use. Still have a few guys that prefer a 2" strop

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

I like 3 inch strops for the shoulderless, non-smiling blades. As soon as there is a smile and shoulder, it's so much easier to strop on a 2 or 2.5" strop. Same thing with hones. If it has geometry issues, thinner is better.

I've been happily using a 2 1/2" basic latigo strop alongside a 4 sided 1" paddle strop from Tony for 10yrs or so. I wouldn't want anything wider than the 2 1/2". The strop is one strip of leather with a handle cut into it and a leather cord at the top. I bought it as a starter and it's still my usual finisher. Thanks Tony :)

My other strop is an Ambrose ebano linen/leather 2 1/2" which has also stood the test of time.

Both the latigo and the ebano work just fine but the feel is very different. The ebano is very soft and forgiving almost like suede, the latigo much stiffer, denser and lets you know very quickly if your stoke is off.

The 4 sided 1" latigo paddle strop is a very versatile little bit of kit. Laid on the table I can comfortably polish a large knife with it.

I would like to try a 2" hanger sometime.

Started out with a 3in strops, but have really been liking my 2 1/2in the past year or so. They honestly seem a bit easier for me to use.
I have 2 tony Miller strops hanging side by side, and 90% of the time I reach for my 2 1/2 now...

BAADF5B3-8662-46BB-820E-DF34470C92A1.jpeg
3”....just because it requires less effort. Prefer a medium heavy draw.
This Russian oil tanned number is great. Looks pretty sorry though

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
To me the perfect strop is 2-3/4" to 3" wide, with three Chicago screws, D ring top and bottom, no fabric. This allows the strop to be hung either end up, a plus if you ever put a deep nick in the right hand edge. Swap ends, and it is now on the left hand edge, out of the way. Three Chicago screws because that allows you to release a tiny bit of tension at the edges to correct cupping if it develops. I like plain old cow/steer hide just fine, veg tanned, please. I soak a piece of leather for a few days and then rub it firmly with a bottle to compress and smooth the surface as it dries, repeating often, before cutting to final dimensions. Depending on how I feel about the leather, I apply a dressing containing mostly neatsfoot, or else I just rub in a bit of beeswax. Very little substance, lots of rubbing, seems to gitter done best. After attaching hardware I give it a palm rub several times a day and just let it hang for a couple weeks before using. Makes for a pretty nice strop with a draw that pleases me more than any store bought strops I have used.

I don't see much use for a fabric component. Seriously, the leather seems to do it all just fine.

I was using the 2 inch poor man strop for 3 months to learn the x pattern and build muscle memory. I recently got a 2 3/4 with Chicago screws, wooden handle and English Bridle leather and am enjoying it. The light to medium draw works well for me. I start on the back of the leather to remove unnoticeable water or soap that may not have come off with a rinse/wipe and finish on the leather.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
so...am i the only one wanting a 3.5" strop then? I managed to find one 3.1" and even that's too narrow for my smiling shoulderless blade.

Top Bottom