What's new

Preferences for real soap?

I buy English Asquith and Somerset bars. These are monster bars and usually available at TJ Maxx or Marshalls for $4.

I know the topic is handmade soaps but what Delmonte said about the shower filter may help, I know it has helped me with dry skin.

Great info, SBC! I don't think it's too off-topic at all. I'm actually searching for different soaps mostly out of interest in keeping my skin moisturized and promoting better health while also reducing my environmental impact. How's that for a mission that'll be solved with just soap!!

SBC: There is so much out there to try. I will eventually. I don't take much for supplements but I was planning on mixing them in a juicer once I get one...been putting it off for a while now. I even tried an apple cider vinegar regiment after watching a youtube video. There is some crazy **** on youtube. You ever hear of the master cleanse diet? This girl went 40 days without eating solids and drinking lemonade with cayan peppers and maple syrup.

I've heard of the cleansing diet, though the person I knew just went two days without solids each month to 'rinse out' his system. *shrug* I think I'll stick to trying different soaps.

BTW, I've almost gone through the bar of Dr. Bronner's. It was nice - I think I'll have to pick up some other scents. Also, it did leave behind some soap scum in my shower, but when I went to clean this weekend, it was a piece of cake - came right off with a quick wipe of the sponge.

The SMN soap does sound pretty amazing, from the review. Still, for that kind of price, I'd probably stick with the Sumbody soap that I've already tried before and love.

I was just hoping to get something semi-equivalent either locally or for a lower cost. Semi-equivalent being relative, I suppose (something that moisturizes about as well, has a pleasant scent, if not as luxurious as the Sumbody soap). I think the bar that I favor is called 'Milky Rich', contains goats milk, and has a nice scent - kinda like almonds, vanilla, and honey mixed together.

Anyway, if I ever happen to come across Santa Maria Novella soap in my travels, I'll be sure to pick some up.

Keep in mind that some soaps are marketed as "all-natural", "traditional", etc. while they are not. Always check the ingredients.

Yeah, heard of the master cleanse. If you are looking for a detox, that is worth a try. If you try it, be sure that you take eating solid food again slow after the diet is done. I dont know how I feel about only drinking pepper and maple syrup though.
I can tell you that I was having major lower back pain. It was chronic and I thought that is the way it is going to be. The only thing that helped was prescription pain killers and the last thing I want is to get hooked on those things. I tried stretching, exercise, a chiropractor and a traditional doctor and none fixed it. I started taking cod liver oil and a multi that has a lot of different vits and mins and after about 3 weeks, my back was back to normal. I didn't start taking that for my back, but I will not stop taking it.
Good call on that soap!

Funny you mentioned cod liver oil, I literally just picked some up. Maybe I'll have to look into Master Cleanse some more, seems intense though as I love me some food.

*Regarding soap link: No Go! Seriously, lather dissipated off my face within seconds, and now for some reason my body itches. If by chance anyone ordered anyway I'm sorry.* No more experimenting outside of review board for me.

Kenn: didn't you say something about that's how you can tell it's real soap? By the soap sediment left behind? I swear I've read that somewhere.

Also, do beleive the Yardley natural was all natural based on ingredient list. Regular version tallow-based, natural was non-tallow.

I have been experimenting with differnet bar soaps as well. Im using the DR Bronners Peppermint Oil soap right now. I find it to be a little drying though, but it is still a big improvement from Old Spice body wash. However, I do not think I will be purchasing Dr. Bronners again

A good friend sent me a bar of Haci Sakir (coconut). It is next in line to try and is a Tallow based soap.

Kenn: didn't you say something about that's how you can tell it's real soap? By the soap sediment left behind? I swear I've read that somewhere.

I did mention that the saponified oil-based soaps seem to leave behind some more soap sediment on the shower... I figured it was due to the glycerin content. And, I did read in other postings somewhere on the internet that, in general, the vegetable-based soaps do tend to leave some more sediment than detergent-based soaps.

Oh, and about the tallow-based soaps.... anyone have any experience/thoughts between tallow vs veggie-based? I don't like the idea of animal-fats in soap, but that's probably my own prejudice. I definitely like eating meat!

Oh, and about the tallow-based soaps.... anyone have any experience/thoughts between tallow vs veggie-based? I don't like the idea of animal-fats in soap, but that's probably my own prejudice. I definitely like eating meat!

I only try to avoid it because I have eczema and have read that it can irritate it, but in general tallow soaps seem to have a nicer lather to me.

Finally gave Yardly natural a shot. It's okay especially at the price but nothing to write home about. Maybe I should try this $16 SMN... that really is obscene, it must be a sign.

Picked up some Kirk's Castile soap at a local Cracker Barrel last week. The smell isn't all that impressive, but I guess I'll see how well it lathers.

Switched to the Canus goat's milk bar last week. It smells OK and seems to lather alright. Nothing particularly special about it, though the bar does seem to be holding up nicely after a week of use. I think I was hoping it would have the scent of the Milky Rich soap I liked from Sumbody, but I suppose that was a bit much to hope for from 50 cents per ounce.

Oh well. Oh, and I also picked up some Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap in peppermint. I was hoping it would rinse off more cleanly at my sister in law's home, where they have a water softening system that makes it difficult to rinse off soap. It didn't seem to make any difference. *shrug* I think it'll still be nice to refill my liquid hand soap bottles at home with some natural soap.

I believe they have their store in San Francisco, or best best order the complete set and see what you like. They are all great honestly, out of all bar soaps natural and not so natural. :thumbup1:

+1 I've been using NB soap for months now and it is terrific stuff. I really like the "signature" scent. The soap comes in a 3-pack for $18 (ech bar is a big 7-oz. bar). Mail order from the San Franciso shop. If you join their buyer's club (for free), you get a discount. The nice thing is that shipping is a flat rate.

Yarleys I am getting it at Big Lots for 70 cents a bar. Daughter Loves it. And so do I. The Cucumber and Aleo is great. I have not go into the Lavender yet.

Last edited:
The soap comes in a 3-pack for $18 (ech bar is a big 7-oz. bar). Mail order from the San Franciso shop. If you join their buyer's club (for free), you get a discount. The nice thing is that shipping is a flat rate.

Great tip on the buyer's club. Thanks. I'm seriously considering trying NB next because I have yet to find a soap I really love the feel, moisturizing, and scent of from the soaps I've been able to buy locally (Kirk's, some Cape Cod soap, Dr. Bronner's, Provence Sante, Bisoux de Provence, etc.) Still looking for a soap that matches the feel and scent of the Sumbody soaps that I got in California for around $2 an ounce, which was way too much for soap, in my opinion.

I really like the Tangerine Art of Shaving soap. It smells great, rinses clean, and leaves the skin moisturized. Despite the high price, it lasts long. (I shower 2-3 times a day and it took almost two months to finish)

Top Bottom