What's new

Prefer my own shave over a barbers.

I’ve been wet shaving for a while now and I recently when tin to get a shave from a barber. The thing is, I prefer the shave I do on myself as opposed to his. Has anyone else had this happen?
The only barber shave Ive ever had is on the back of my neck but she always does an awesome job and trying to shave the back of one's neck with anything but an electric razor can be difficult.
Im sure that I could master it if I applied myself but I'll leave it to the once a month when I see my barber. Given the choice, I'll take getting a neck shave from a beautiful woman over doing it myself any day.

Haircuts were $2 back when I was in Beauty Skool! A 25 cent tip was a big deal, ha!

When I got to my first duty station, the barber I went to in town was a retired Navy guy named Bob.
Haircuts were $3, and he used a straight razor around the ears and the nape of the neck.
When the young ladies opened a large shop just outside the gate, he couldn't compete with them, and closed his shop and rented a chair in their place, so I went to get my haircut by him and see the eye candy.
The girls would use a disposable Bic safety razor.
It was a sad day when I got back from a 6 month deployment and found out he had retired.

Barber College for me when Covid goes away. I'm old, I was (am still licensed) a Cosmetologist for more than 40 years and cut more men's hair than the Barber's in my town. Time to finally pay for a shave, to a kid who's hands will probably be shaking worse than mine do! He or she has to practice on someone!

I just won't mention that I'm on Coumadin. Don't want to get their hands shaking too much! LOL!
A friend told me to go to Clary Sage and get a shave. All I could think about was all those young kids with shaky hands.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
On one of my annual visits to London a few years ago, I had a barber shave, at Truefitt and Hill as I recall. It was the only time I've ever let anyone else shave me, and it was nothing short of sublime! A lime scented hot towel, straight razor shave with Apsley soap, face massage, and so forth. It took about a half hour, and I was groaning (quietly) with hedonistic joy the whole time! At £50, it was expensive, but I've already decided I'll do it again when I go back. I'm getting up in years, and you can't take your money with you, right?
It does sound nice actually.

Barber College for me when Covid goes away. I'm old, I was (am still licensed) a Cosmetologist for more than 40 years and cut more men's hair than the Barber's in my town. Time to finally pay for a shave, to a kid who's hands will probably be shaking worse than mine do! He or she has to practice on someone!

I just won't mention that I'm on Coumadin. Don't want to get their hands shaking too much! LOL!
My 80yo mother ran a barber shop / beauty shop for 48 years. She just finally retired after a neck surgery went bad. Up until the day she closed the shop for the surgery she offered a traditional SR barber shave. She lamented the fact that they no longer teach the technique and so could not hire anyone new that was any good at it. I know she had her regulars that came in religiously once a week, usually Friday, for a shave. I can only guess it was for Friday night! ;-)

My 80yo mother ran a barber shop / beauty shop for 48 years. She just finally retired after a neck surgery went bad. Up until the day she closed the shop for the surgery she offered a traditional SR barber shave. She lamented the fact that they no longer teach the technique and so could not hire anyone new that was any good at it. I know she had her regulars that came in religiously once a week, usually Friday, for a shave. I can only guess it was for Friday night! ;-)
About the only way to get a straight razor shave here is at Clary Sage College. It’s a beauty college that also teaches barbering.

I asked a Barber a few years back why they didn’t offer a straight razor shave and he said it was health department regulations requiring special licensing and special procedures. Said he couldn’t give a Barber shave and still make money.

I took a look at his hands and they shook worse than mine I suspect that was the real reason for him. At any rate, Clary Sage charges a token fee since you are getting a shave from a student.

I went to the local barber college in our town for a barbershop shave once. It was a treat with the reclining, hot towels, face oil, shave lathered, straight razor and the rest involved. It took about an hour to do. Cost $15.00 and gave the student $5.00 tip. Only problem is it only lasts for one day.
The shave may have only lasted a short while, but the pleasant memory of it seems to be lasting much longer. I’d say that was money well spent!

The first time that I went to a barber shop for a shave, I got really good results. The shave was very close and left my skin very soft. The only thing I did not like is that the barber used a safety razor and I really wish he used a straight razor. An otherwise relaxing and pleasant experience.

Another experience at another barber was a huge disappointment. I only had one day’s worth of stubble and the barber felt he had to shave it down with an electric razor first before shaving me. The electric blade was old and did nothing but tug at my beard and irritate my face. After he was done with the straight razor, it still was not close at all. My wife could tell by looking at me that my shave was not nearly as close as I do it.

Now that I’ve been wet shaving for 6 years, I can now get results that are close to what a barber can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom