What's new

Prefer Boar to Badger?

I can see it having great backbone, but I can't see that brush being soft at all. ;)

Edit: Oh, that's better. :tongue_sm I love my Omega 11137.

Last edited:
I tried several boars, but now I prefer badgers. I still keep the SOC in the rotation, though, since it is a terrific brush. But, I would rank my Duke3, Kent B&B2009 LE, Rooney 3/1, and Shavemac D01 higher than the SOC. (EDIT: I would rank my SOC higher than the Shavemac, only because it is so scritchy...if it softens up, it will edge out the SOC, if it doesn't, it won't and will be sold).

I'm in no way saying the SOC (or any other boar) is bad, just I prefer the badgers, if I had to choose.

Last edited:
I've used Badgers; Pure, Finest & Silver-Tip, Several Semogues; 1250, 610, 1460 & a Drugstore Semogue from Gifts& Care, but if I had to pick one type, it would be Horse Hair.

I really enjoy my new Shavemac Finest and Silver-Tip, and preferred my Semogue to the Pure but I always return to my Vie-Long's or Turkish Horses, don't know why but I just like them a little bit better.

Last edited:
I started with the badger brush, then got the urge to try a boar brush and now the boar is my favorite. I stlll use the badger occasionally. I like the way talibread said it - he prefers the firm hugging of a well broken in boar brush while lathering.

Dude, get a good boar. Get an Omega or a Semogue and try it. The VDH is a great brush to start out with, but the quality is so that it doesn't make a good brush to judge boars-in-general with. The hairs don't really split at all which would make the tips soft. It takes FOREVER to soften if it ever does.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys.

I love my cheap ol' VDH boar! I am a budget shaver and what ever is cheap, I can make it work for me. I do have a Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Boar/Badger Brush and I like the VDH as much as the 404.

Yes, the VDH brush does take some time to break in, but once it is broken in, it is a very good brush (for the price).

I have my first boar brush incoming in the post at the moment. Ask me again in a couple of months....... :001_rolle

I only use boar. I've tried three different badger brushes and of different quality and boar wins out. Wish I tried it first, woulda saved some money.

Does anybody here prefer boar over badger?
Many. I don't but many do.

I know that badger brushes are technically better (softer, etc.) than boar.
"Better" is always a highly subjective word, regardless of the topic. It's not different with shaving brushes. What's better is whatever works better for you. For some, it's badgers. For others, it's boars. Expensive badgers are expensive because they're more rare, that's it. Whether they're better for you or not is up to you to determine.

Don't make the common mistaken assumption that more expensive badgers must be better. That's not the case.

I'm a face latherer and I can have a densely packed, soft tipped brush with great backbone for about $30.00 or less in a boar. The same qualities in a badger will cost at least three times as much.

That's it in a nutshell.

Dude, get a good boar. Get an Omega or a Semogue and try it. The VDH is a great brush to start out with, but the quality is so that it doesn't make a good brush to judge boars-in-general with. The hairs don't really split at all which would make the tips soft. It takes FOREVER to soften if it ever does.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys.

I'm right there with you, Chad. I prefer my pure badger over my VDH, but my Omega 49 and Semogue 620 dominate over the VDH.

The past week, though, I've been having fun again with that pure badger...but the best/silvertip badger price tag is keeping me away from getting started down that road.

I used the Colonel X2L yesterday for the first time in a while and I tried something I've never been successful at: face lathering Tabac. It worked great. It was soft and held enough lather for four passes. So maybe I should alternate and see if I really have a preference or not. It was definitely different although not really better or worse.

I'm among the minority here - I much prefer badger over boar. I just prefer the face feel, better water and heat retention, and speed of drying. I got caught up in the boar craze a few months ago and bought several boars.

No matter how much I tried to enjoy them, I couldn't escape the feeling of lathering with cold, wet straw.

Difference in lather quality is negligible - that's more down to technique.

I actually think the standard Semogues are a bit overrated. If I had to own a boar, I prefer the quality of Omega hair - softer tips, denser and less floppy, in my experience. Although, the Semogue LE 2009 was pretty good.

John

Started with a muhle badger some years back but moved to boar. My Omega 10077 is possibly the best brush I have works well with creams or soaps. Then again I've slowly moved from creams and now only have a couple of tubes. My shave sticks take up less room and are better for shower shaving with a boar.

I have not used a Badger yet, but my Rudy Vey Boar is so broken in now, with just the right amount of backbone, that I can't imagine a Badger being any better. One day I will try one, but for now the Boar is great.

Top Bottom