What's new

Prefer an instructor ...

... on diving in on a straight razor shave.

I live in the Fox Valley area of Wisconsin. I'm interested in going from the safety razor to a straight razor, but would like to have someone teach me, in person, the proper way to shave. I'm willing to travel on a weekend if needed.

The thought of taking a knife to my throat without a little instruction (not a fan of Youtube videos in this situation) is a little daunting.

Anyone out there willing to give an assist?

Hey Skragnon, I would but Im in Australia. In all honesty it seems way more daunting at the start than it really is but my advice would be to watch heaps of vids (I know you said you dont like the idea but some of them really are great). Also just keep in mind little to no pressure, short strokes & maybe just focus on the sides of your face first as this is by far the easiest part before you work yourself up to have a go at your chin/neck region etc. As far as Im concerned if you have good prep your half way there..

Last edited:
... on diving in on a straight razor shave.

I live in the Fox Valley area of Wisconsin. I'm interested in going from the safety razor to a straight razor, but would like to have someone teach me, in person, the proper way to shave. I'm willing to travel on a weekend if needed.

The thought of taking a knife to my throat without a little instruction (not a fan of Youtube videos in this situation) is a little daunting.

Anyone out there willing to give an assist?

If you will consider a GEM type SE, this will prepare you to use a SR. The angle used on a GEM Micromatic is similar and different than a DE Gillette type.

Begin with a shavette so you can focus on technique rather than keeping and maintaining an edge. Consider a Feather SS with Pro Guard blade. These blades have a safety guard.

Blade angle, going slow, and shaving in the moment are essential qualities.

I think that in person instruction is great and I hope that you find someone. The actual shaving will probably be just as daunting and things like hair direction will mean that copying your instructor will probably be wrong, but in person stropping instruction, razor handling, and camaraderie will likely make the meeting worth while.

I've shown other people who were already using straights how I lather, shave, and clean the blade, and I could never understand why they didn't immediately switch to my methods which I know are the best. :a13: Lesson; everyone does the task of shaving a bit differently. So there is that.....

I go to several meets per year and find the personal connections to be a rewarding part of the wet shaving experience. There is a Gatherings and get togethers section here; Gatherings and Get-Togethers I think that this heading should be more prominant and easier to find.:a30:

I just saw that your in Wisconsin. Darn, I just attended a three day meet there last weekend, and yes it was worth the 2200 miles of driving for me. Of course I already knew all but one of the attendees from past meets. I will alert my Wisconsin friends to your post.

Last edited:
I wish you luck on finding a mentor and hope you do find one!

In the mean time, if you haven’t already, there are a number of decent instructional videos out there, even just watching someone else go about their own SR shave can be helpful. Of shavettes, I’d say watch some Geofatboy, his technique might not be for everyone but it’s solid. For a super informative SR shave I’d say watch Chimenshe’s 30th Anniversary shave, his technique is also a bit different but a superb starting point.

From someone who is literally 5 shaves into their SR journey it isn’t that difficult but I do agree with bluesman an in person tutelage on the proper strop and maintaining your razor could be beneficial. I jumped straight in from a cartridge and it isn’t all that hard. Just take your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll chime in that, while a great idea, an in-person lesson is by no means required. My 4 years of DE shaving were blissful. I tried a straight for the first time last April and it was stressful and scary. I actually stocked up on first aid supplies "just in case" and gave my wife instructions to not bother me, but still make sure I wasn't lying in a pool of blood at intervals of no more than 3 minutes.

But it wasn't really that hard and certainly wasn't that bad. A couple of minor nicks, but no real bloodletting.

Start with a sharp razor - Have the razor sharpened by a professional or one of the competent gents on this forum.
Take your time - Good prep. Limit distractions.
Start easy - Only do the flat of you cheeks WTG for the first few shaves. Easy does it.
Shallow angle - Try to have the spine of the razor no more than one spine width off of your skin.
Patience as you progress - Many will tell you that you don't really start to "get the hang of it" until you have completed about 30 SR shaves. Somewhere around 50 shaves you start to be able to try making adjustments to improve. And by your 100th shave it will be blissful like your DE shaves used to be.

Follow the advice above and I guarantee you will not die or even be scarred for life.

Best of luck and welcome to the dark side...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'll chime in that, while a great idea, an in-person lesson is by no means required. My 4 years of DE shaving were blissful. I tried a straight for the first time last April and it was stressful and scary. I actually stocked up on first aid supplies "just in case" and gave my wife instructions to not bother me, but still make sure I wasn't lying in a pool of blood at intervals of no more than 3 minutes.

But it wasn't really that hard and certainly wasn't that bad. A couple of minor nicks, but no real bloodletting.

Start with a sharp razor - Have the razor sharpened by a professional or one of the competent gents on this forum.
Take your time - Good prep. Limit distractions.
Start easy - Only do the flat of you cheeks WTG for the first few shaves. Easy does it.
Shallow angle - Try to have the spine of the razor no more than one spine width off of your skin.
Patience as you progress - Many will tell you that you don't really start to "get the hang of it" until you have completed about 30 SR shaves. Somewhere around 50 shaves you start to be able to try making adjustments to improve. And by your 100th shave it will be blissful like your DE shaves used to be.

Follow the advice above and I guarantee you will not die or even be scarred for life.

Best of luck and welcome to the dark side...
+1

Check in with your local barbers - you'll probably find one that is adept enough to shave you well enough and probably teach you a few things along the way.

I can understand how it may be a bit unnerving. I was a nervous wreck on my first straight shave and procrastinated for a good chunk of that day. When it actually came time to put blade to face I was so relieved, because I realized that I'd worked it up in my head as some daunting and dangerous task and as it turned out it wasn't bad at all. I'm sure there is something to be said for learning from somebody in person, but personally I don't feel that it's a necessity.

If you read some of the straight razor shave journals I don't think you'll find a single first shave that has ended in anything face altering.Don't work yourself up so much. Get yourself a razor and some soap and give it a go, you'll be glad you did.

If you're still inclined to finding someone to teach you first hand, I wish you the best of luck finding a mentor.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I can understand how it may be a bit unnerving. I was a nervous wreck on my first straight shave and procrastinated for a good chunk of that day. When it actually came time to put blade to face I was so relieved, because I realized that I'd worked it up in my head as some daunting and dangerous task and as it turned out it wasn't bad at all. I'm sure there is something to be said for learning from somebody in person, but personally I don't feel that it's a necessity.

If you read some of the straight razor shave journals I don't think you'll find a single first shave that has ended in anything face altering.Don't work yourself up so much. Get yourself a razor and some soap and give it a go, you'll be glad you did.

If you're still inclined to finding someone to teach you first hand, I wish you the best of luck finding a mentor.
+1

Top Bottom