What's new

Precise Brush Question

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I've been considering another 2 Band since moving into a home with hard water instead of soft. Still a really soft brush, but may load soap more easily. The 3 Band is definitely softer. I use a brush with the equivalent knot to the 4125/2 Bulb. I have a square handle of plexiglass, though, and I forgot what the actual designation is. I gave away my original 4125/2 of the same hair type as the emblem was getting rusted.

Wow.

Ok..they say a bulb is better for this, a fan is better for that, a big not works well for this, Kent is better for that.....these are all generalities. I'm not a moron. I just don't know the genralities. One I do know is a.chubby has a lii ty let handle so isn't ideal for a bowl latherer, ALTHOUGH I'm sure there is someone, no probably a few someone's who use a chubby to bowl.lather and swear by it. All I wanted was to get an idea of a few members personal perception to use as a baseline for m th search.
What purpose is a forum is not to Garber opinions. Here are some threads that are VERY common.
What soap is your favorite?
I'M SORRY BUT WHAT WORKS FOR ME MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU, YOU HAVE TO DECIDE YOURSELF.
Feather vs MedPrep
I'M SORRY BUT FEATHER MAY BE MY CHOICE BUT YOU MAY LIKE MEDPREP. YOU HAVE TO DECIDE YOURSELF.
What fragrance should I wear to a wedding in the heat?
I'M SORRY BUT WHAT WORKS ON ME MAY NOT WORK ON YOU. YOU HAVE TO KNOW FOR YOURSELF.

Jesus guys, why not just make the forum one sentence " try yourself and you'll know" I mean we all have a hobby, so when someone asks for your thoughts, which I specifically stated, YOUR THOUGHTS, it's so they can see what different perceptions are among a group of peers. That's all. I did not state...TELL ME WHAT BRUSH TO BUY...
EXAMPLE FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO STILL THINK IT'S FUN TO ANSWER A POST WITH THE GENERIC " You have to decide for yourself, don't ask me my opinion, it's mine and not yours" rhetoric.
Ex. I used to really like Kent Brushes. Just based on Aesthetics. I live in BFE There is no place I can go to actually see one. But after reading this glorious forum , I've gotten the idea that GENERALLY they are floppies brushes. I don't care for floppies brushes. So I don't really pursue one because I don't have 300 bucks to chance on the hope I'm in the minority. It's called research. Educating yourself. I guarantee that Jerry Stolowicz in Madison Wisconsin finds Kent brushes to have very good backbone, and does not consider them floppy. I get it. Most people do, but not Jerry. I COULD BE LIKE JERRY. I just don't want to waste my time or money on the chance I'm in the minority.
I read reports before I buy a car, a TV, anything to get others opinions. I even worded the question as such to avoid this. My God. If you just say what's a good brush? You guys say " face lather, bowl, cream, soap? We need more info" then I give the info and I get " it's personal preference, don't ask us our opinions we are not you"

Why come to a forum if not to share experiences and opinions? Why is it considered so damn foolhardy to ask what a member prefers? To gather fellow shavers personal opinions to use to make an educated guess on a purchase. Ugh

Sir not being funny here but you asked a question and got reply's but that was not good enough.
you came back with this part
they are floppies brushes. I don't care for floppies brushes. So I don't really pursue one because I don't have 300 bucks to chance on the hope I'm in the minority. It's called research. Educating yourself.

so on that note why ask in the first place as you all ready know what you want something with backbone and you said you don't have 300 bucks to chance.
then do the same as the rest of us buy 1 and if you don't like it sell on till you find a brush you like the same as the rest of us do that's why I don't ask and that's why I wont say what I like or recommend one

I vote for a Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-band custom. I have a fan and a bulb. Both awesome. If I had to pick one I would go with a long handle fan in the range of 24-26 mm by 48-52 mm. Should work for bowl or face and hard or soft soap. Should come in under $200. Reach out to Rudy and he will help you pick the handle size and hone in on a knot size.

That's what we do here - we ask absurd questions and get many, many responses. . If you can't add something in a positive way to a post like this, it's better to say nothing. He is doing his research by asking other members and that should always be encouraged.
Thank you Doc47. I got frustrated earlier. I see that happen quite a bit. Maybe some guys don't think it comes across arrogant, but to many it does. If you can't ask questions, what is the purpose of the forum? Just have a what brush , blade, soap did you use today, and that's all? I am the ONLY one in my area I know that shaves like this. I have ZERO people to talk to or get opinions from. I have to get a baseline somewhere. Believe me, if I had 20 grand, I'd love to buy every brush available and try them all.

Yeah I ended up doing what I said I didn't want to do. My Rudy Vey addiction got the best of me again. He's ordered a 26 52 Shavemac D01 2 band fan for me and I'm actually getting the handle thAt is almost a replica of the tortoise shell handle on the fr left in the picture bosseb posted. That exact handle with a middle ivory band. I'm excited, just now have to wait.

Just did not want to try a brush and not like it, or think it didn't stack up to my ogre shavemac knots so I went with a bigger knot than I have now, a cool handle and called it a day.

I realize you already ordered your brush, but I wanted to give you an option for your next purchase. You and I seem a bit similar in our brush preferences. I lather exactly like you do. I also have a Rudy brush with a Shavemac knot on the way. So, my current favorite could be good for you as well. I have several other brushes that are all totally different in knot/handle style/size.

Here is my favorite brush since purchase in 2012:
Shavemac D01 2-band hair
flat top
24 mm knot
45 mm loft
handle style: 233 (Bruyere with nickel bottom)

The brush I have on order from Rudy has similar knot proportions; only smaller. The handle will also be totally different. Like you I am curious.

Then by all means ,sir, feel free to pass over my thread. I got some good info from others. Thank you for your response about why you dint respond. Brilliant reading.

Others, thank you. I appreciated your input.
Sir not being funny here but you asked a question and got reply's but that was not good enough.
you came back with this part
they are floppies brushes. I don't care for floppies brushes. So I don't really pursue one because I don't have 300 bucks to chance on the hope I'm in the minority. It's called research. Educating yourself.

so on that note why ask in the first place as you all ready know what you want something with backbone and you said you don't have 300 bucks to chance.
then do the same as the rest of us buy 1 and if you don't like it sell on till you find a brush you like the same as the rest of us do that's why I don't ask and that's why I wont say what I like or recommend one

I haven't found a "perfect" brush yet.
[MENTION=33552]bakerbarber[/MENTION] I've found the "perfect" brush the picture below can tell you a trillion words

proxy.php

Top Bottom