What's new

Pre shaves do you use it

short question about pre shave oils, creams & gels (there's tons around) do you use them? and which one do you prefer
Thx!

I have used a couple, on occassion i’ll use it. Have had a few but not many,

The only 2 that really come into play once in a while are the proraso pre/pro. Mine is the old version, which i guess shows you how much i use it. I do enjoy it when i use it

second is grooming dept in lavender. Not bad, smells nice, i cant say it makes my shave worse.

i actually really appreciate Musgo real GLYCE as a pre shave thing. It seems to make a difference.

I used to use pre-shave oil. A fellow contributor to this fine forum from the UK uses the first one I tried - Nuage - and then I moved on to King of Shaves.
Nuage was great, I just found I wasn’t always in the mood for the lavender, eucalyptus and menthol scent. The King of Shaves I moved on to had tea tree oil in it but it wasn’t a very strong scent. I still have a few bottles of it and am considering taking them when I travel next time because they would be fine for hand luggage.

I also used to use King of Shaves Kinexium serum or their clear shaving gel as a pre-shave. They all worked well for me.
I decided one day to try shaving with just cream and never looked back.

I use a facial wash and a scrub now while showering before a shave and it works very well for me.

I used preshave initially, but have more or less discontinued with its support. I do think they are a valuable shaving tool for beginners and those with sensitive skin.
Beginners are prone to over working areas and using uneven pressure. Also they haven’t yet learned their facial map or discovered shave soaps and creams that are best suited to them. Sensitive skin shavers need all the help they can get.
I eventually hit the point where I was comfortable with most any razor or blade and discontinued using preshave. Learning how to adjust your technique depending on any particular lathers slickness is a sign of shaving confidence. I might still throw on some preshave when trying out some unique vintage razor with a blade that diverges from my usual double edge territory. After all, I still have a bunch of it in my cabinet.

I used to always use proraso green, blue, or red preshave (whichever "argued" least with the scent of soap I'm using) and for me their performance was about in that order, with red my favorite on scent. White actually performed the best, but I just cannot bear the scent of it. This was primarily with carts, though (Harry's).

I stopped using them while I sort through a variety of DE razors, blades and new soaps. Particularly for the soaps I feel I will get a truer sense of their performance without modifiers if I skip the pre-shave.

While I think I probably do sometimes get a shave that is not quite as comfortable as it might have been with a preshave, I'm not entirely sure if I will go back to using them once I settle on a few "daily drivers." Somewhat to my surprise I have (so far, fingers crossed) been getting far fewer weepers and no nicks as compared to the carts I was using, if perhaps slightly more irritation, easily addressed with a splash or balm afterwards. Overall my enjoyment has gone up!

Pre-shave not needed for me... Nor wanted. I also wouldn't want to use anything that would gunk up my brush.

Just water to start to soften the stubble.

I think pre-shave can be a crutch for folks who haven't yet learned how to make a really good lather.

Or it's also for folks who love the scent and just want a lot of it during the shave process.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I tried Proraso white pre-shave a few time but didn't notice any difference in my shaves. Now I use my Proraso white pre-shave as a post-shave and it works well. After the Proraso white I give my face a splash of Clarifiance, an ethenol/witch hazel blend, for the perfect finish.

Yes. I shavette/straight shave, and have found pre-shave as important as water for my shave. My favorite is homemade (grapeseed oil , extra virgin olive oil, vitamin E oil, and essential oil). Sometimes, I will just use plain extra virgin olive oil. For DE shaving I probably wouldn't bother. YMMV.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
None. I tried a few and they didn't change my shave at all. But if they did you can bet I'd use them every day. Use whatever works for you.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been using a pre shave products since I started traditional wet shaving 3 1/2 years ago. I use Aloe vera gel as a conditioner in my hair and gives instant results for over 25 years and naturally I use a dollop after I Brush wash my face first CeraVe hand bar cleanser every day, great mild soap for cleaning skin and easy on the eyes.(Used CeraVe for over 8 months now.) So after reading lots of posts and articular's on prep, Gillette and others say clean your skin of dirt and oil (CeraVe cleans and has special moisturizers), hydrate you skin and whiskers to make shaving easier for the blade to slice through the beard whiskers(CeraVe and Aloe Vera Gel does all of that) . Another thing about these two pre-shaves are they do help moisturize and they do not gum up my shave gear(razors & brushes). So main objective of Preshave is to clean and hydrate & Shave soap main function is to moisten skin & whiskers and create the slickness barrier for the blade to glide. Brush washing my whole face is very enjoyable( just started that 8 months ago) and have a dedicated synthetic brush for my CeraVe soap(I still have a 1/3 bar left after 8 months). Most of us will wash our face with bar soap so using a brush with so little soap needed because a brush will make a lot of lather quickly as we all know by now and clean gently much better IMO.( you might lose a few minutes brush washing depending on how much your enjoying it?)
These are the products I enjoy using! Not expensive either!...........................CeraVe information below if curious.
Z-Pre shave products (2).jpg
CeraVe 3 (2).jpg
CeraVe 1 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Never used one. I've always wondered... If you use a preshave oil, wouldn't it interfere with lathering? Oil and soap generally don't mix. When I'm trying to wash oil off my hands, there's no lather at all until the oil is mostly gone.

I've used a bunch of pre-shaves, oils and balms and others. Many. The only one I use now, daily, is Grooming Dept. Amazing stuff. This is the product where I believe Grooming truly excels. Unfortunately, from what I've read, his pre-shaves are not currently available. Lucky for me, I've got five tubs in reserve...

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Noxzema is my pre-shave. Would probably use it solely as a shaving cream if I didn’t like lathering up with various cream or ARKO! soap.

Top Bottom