What's new

Pre shave

So I have used proraso pre shve creams and 3p preshave cream. Any suggestions on a different brand. I enjoy the preshave creams over oil. It is a relaxing part of my shave . Running low on both of the creams I have and ready to buy more.thanks for any response.

I have the Proraso and while I like how it feels on the face, I don't experience much difference in the shave whether I use it or not. I had much better results with a product that was a poor cream but a great pre-shave:
African Black Soap & Shea Butter Shave Butter Crème.jpg

Grooming Dept preshave is the very best I've encountered.
I agree with this for myself, but want to point out the caveat that it may not be a favorite for you depending on why you like creams better than oils. I don't like preshave oils because I don't like the greasy feeling of oil on my hands before shaving. I always feel like I need to completely wipe my hands off whenever I use a preshave oil. If you're like me, you may or may not like the Grooming Department. My Lavender preshave is a little oily, but mostly the slickness of the preshave feels like soap slickness rather than oil/grease slickness.

YMMV.

Bob

At a quick look awhile back I thought grooming department pre shave was oil. Gotta have another look. Has anyone tried antica barberia colla pre shave cream?

I have used lather as a pre shave too. It works. Funny how simple and inexpensive this can be. The guys from early 1900 would probably shake their heads at all this "prep" we do today.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Grooming Dept preshave is the very best I've encountered.
Funny this thread made me remember i bought some of the GD stuff and free shipping must have meant pony express. I need to find my tracking info
otherwise i use proraso pre shave

I use Cremo as a preshave. Does a very good job of creating a slick base for whatever lather I use. Seems to last through the two or three passes I do. One tube lasts me at least 5 months.

A little dab of a good moisturizer should work, Aloe Vera gel would add a slick sub-surface as well, I think.

It's more about just adding a luxury step. On some days I do the entire run of prep. Shower ,beard shampoo and conditioner to soften,the I do a pre shave cream fallowed by hot towel to not get that extra residue before I that her. I've used oil and gel looking for added glide but it's more just about softening the hair before I shave. My lather is usually slick enough for an easy shave. I've used Irish spring in the shower to soften before and it works great. The razor rock pre shave gel I have left on under lather and it worked great. I'm leaning towards the antica barberia preshave cream. It's expensive though. The 3p is great for an old barber experience.

It's more about just adding a luxury step. On some days I do the entire run of prep. Shower ,beard shampoo and conditioner to soften,the I do a pre shave cream fallowed by hot towel to not get that extra residue before I that her. I've used oil and gel looking for added glide but it's more just about softening the hair before I shave. My lather is usually slick enough for an easy shave. I've used Irish spring in the shower to soften before and it works great. The razor rock pre shave gel I have left on under lather and it worked great. I'm leaning towards the antica barberia preshave cream. It's expensive though. The 3p is great for an old barber experience.
Wanting a luxury add, the Antica Barberia would be a good choice from what I hear(read). Hot towels are the way to go upping the shave experience!

I have tried Prep, Proraso and Noxema sensitive skin. The prep and proraso work much better for me. I basically use it as a face wash: I completely remove it prior to lathering.

I've used Proraso white, Crown, Taylor of Old Bond Street Aromatherapy, and American Crew. I've had the best results with American Crew, but haven't used it in a bit because my barbershop stopped selling it. TOBS is next, but I'm not keen on the scent; I first found a bottle that I really liked, but when I ordered a replacement online they had changed the scent, and it didn't appeal as much. Clings to the sink too.

Top Bottom