What's new

Pre-shave soap, the myth in shaving

The face-lathering guys were right after all.

Since the beginning of this month I've been using pre-shave soaps to great success and in the last days I've been evaluating using only PROPER SHAVE SOAP to soften my whiskers, and this is what i'm realizing:

Pre-shave soaps aren't needed!

Proper shave cream or soap contains ingredients for softening the beard, just leave it wetty on the face while you ready the final lather for shaving. Even the all mighty MR GLO was developed as a body soap, for washing hands and bath. I have MR GLO and other glycerin soaps and their ingredients weren't planned to stay long at your face. In health research many fragrances and perfumes added to cosmetics are related to allergies and skin irritation.

But if people still want to buy MR GLO :whistling:
http://www.theportugalonlineshop.co...lyce-lime-glycerine-soap-165gr-body-bath-soap
and again, the same ingredients if you read the sticker
http://www.theportugalonlineshop.co...o-real-glyce?keyword=musgo real&category_id=0

The best preshave treatment I've used so far has been to lather up my beard w/ Kiss My Face while I'm in the shower. Does a great job softening, and I'm ready to do battle with the forces of scruff when I get out.

I got some pre shave cream that came in a kit from Edwin Jagger, it is a menthol pre-shave cream much less powerful than the proraso pre-shave. I keep it in the shower as typicaly from drying off in the shower to getting ready to shave my face is dry. I like it to keep the heat and wetness going, conditioner or anything would work so I am a fan of a pre-shave product.

I got some pre shave cream that came in a kit from Edwin Jagger, it is a menthol pre-shave cream much less powerful than the proraso pre-shave. I keep it in the shower as typicaly from drying off in the shower to getting ready to shave my face is dry. I like it to keep the heat and wetness going, conditioner or anything would work so I am a fan of a pre-shave product.

I do use a pre-shave balm on days I don't shower. For me, that's about prepping the skin rather than the hair, though.

That's a good point if you are getting a second shave late in the day or not going to be in the shower, a hot towel or a pre-shave cream would have it's place and can be needed depending on the individual.

I do use a pre-shave balm on days I don't shower. For me, that's about prepping the skin rather than the hair, though.

Proper shave cream or soap contains ingredients for softening the beard, just leave it wetty on the face while you ready the final lather for shaving.

I completely agree. That is how I prepare my face for shaving. I find that I don't need to shower first. I just wash my face with a mild facial cleanser, and then apply some almost-ready lather to my face for a couple of minutes while I finish whipping up the lather in my bowl. Completely eliminated my need for pre-shave soap, oil or cream.

In health research many fragrances and perfumes added to cosmetics are related to allergies and skin irritation.

That was certainly true for me. Some products with lots of essential oils actually make my skin burn. Other products with lots of fragrance oil make my face red and blotchy.

Nick

Hmmmm. I definitely notice a difference when I don't use a pre shave (either Proraso pre, or Dermalogica pre-shave guard).

Never used Mr. Glo but I definitely lather up a shave soap in the shower and scrub my face, then when I get out, I shave with a different soap at the sink. I started this to work on getting rid of my excess inventory and found that I get a better shave overall by doing so.

Hmmmm. I definitely notice a difference when I don't use a pre shave (either Proraso pre, or Dermalogica pre-shave guard).

Same here-- my guess is that this is yet another one of those YMMV things.

Yes, this is definitely another YMMV issue. I used the Proraro pre-shave for a while, tested it thoroughly, and determined that it did absolutely nothing for me. At least this is one fewer shaving product that I need to buy. Leaves more money for soaps and brushes and different brands of blades and....

Nick

In the last days I do notice that if I wash the face with Mr. Glow before applying the first wetter lather, it reduces the time needed to soften the beard. The skin's oil hinder the absorption of water, that's what I make sense of it. Maybe?
I know the oils within MR GLO are supposed to help the skin.

After reading this thread, I used some Mystic Waters sample as a pre shave wash in the shower and it did the same as Proraso for me. so long pre-shaves.

Are we talking about normal soaps used to wash your face or specifically about prep products like 3P or pre-shave oil, etc? I don't see any real difference between washing your face with regular soap and washing your face with shaving soap, but have never been impressed with specific "prep" or "pre" products.

Last edited:
I haven't tried any specific preshave soaps yet, but I had been using preshave oil and I think I'm seeing better results without it.

If I need to shave without showering first, I have a routine I like that works for my super coarse beard. I microwave a wet towel and apply a lather to my beard. Then wrap the steaming towel around my beard till it cools off. I finish whipping up my lather and apply it to my face. Beard is soft and razor glides great.

I'm a believer. I haven't used anything better than Proraso in the aftershave balm, or the Pre-shave department. I start and finish my shaves with them and my skin looks and feels amazing.

I've used Musgo Real PSO and generic pure almond oil for body massage, MR is better, seems like what they do best is create a barrier between the chemicals in the lather and the skin. For this intended purpose they do work, my face is a witness, but if a soap is the source of irritation (not blade) why hide it with a PSO? Why not change the culprit?

I can read in the straight razor's threads that over there they have more success with PSO, but those guys need every help they can get because most of the time they shave with less sharper edges then DE.

Top Bottom