What's new

Pre Shave Rituals & Routines

Wet face with hot water, face lather, shave, cold waters, alum, aftershave. Sometimes after I shower but not always. I have been experimenting with Pre-shave but I am still on the fence if it makes a difference. As far as dresser goes, I can apply some and get my shave on quick, my skin don’t mind it .

1. shower, wash face with water-diluted Dr. Bronner's liquid soap
  2. 5 drops of Shave Secret oil rubbed onto wet face
  3. let sit for a minute or so while I prep the razor
  4. shave pass 1 - WTG
  5. Apply another dose of 5 drops of Shave Secret
  6. shave pass 2 - ATG, touch-ups
  7. cold water face rinse
  8. alum and/or styptic
Day: Aveeno daily moisturizer or Sunbum sunblock
Night: balm

I have found that the oil gives me a false sense of security and I wind up over-shaving areas that then leads to irritation.

I need to apply oil more frequently when I feel I'm going to hit a spot several times as I find errant hairs and/or I need to improve my razor technique and I think I could benefit from further pre-shave and after first pass face slickening or hair softening, but am unsure what to try or do.

I do have some Harmon/cheap 86% Witch Hazel, but haven't tried it in ages to where I don't even recall if it did anything for me.

I also have MdC that I had been using, but I went back to the Shave Secret because I used to use Somerset's and I like the speed and ease of the oil vs. a brush and soap.

I think the key is if I ensure I use the razor in a way that is less abusive to my face, then I don't need as much after-shave treatment beyond moisturizing. However, I could stand to improve the facial hair condition for the razor to work more effectively. I just haven't completely figured that out despite me doing this type of shaving for nearly 1.5 decades =\

I just locked into the same sort of thing, deal with the irritation and get on with life. Maybe within the next several weeks I'll find some remedy.

I don’t make big deal out of shaving.

Shave B4 shower.

Lather up, let lather sit while I brush teeth.

Shave, two to three passes, then shower.

Maybe still in Military mind set, we never had time on hands.

Warm/hot shower for about 3 minutes, making sure face is frequently in shower stream.

Then turn shower right down and get to shaving, in the shower, using a small mirror hanging on shower wall.

Top Bottom