What's new

Pre shave oils?

I think people are paying far too much money for fancy pre shave oils, as an experiment I used plain Coconut oil used for cooking!
Using plenty of hot water, the shave was just as smooth as any magical blend of special oils etc, and didnt clog my razor.

How cheapskate is that lol!!!

I think people are paying far too much money for fancy pre shave oils, as an experiment I used plain Coconut oil used for cooking!
Using plenty of hot water, the shave was just as smooth as any magical blend of special oils etc, and didnt clog my razor.

How cheapskate is that lol!!!
Shave oils are not very popular here. In fact many don't like any type of preshave products. I mix up my own blend of preshave oils. The first time I used a preshave oild my wife said your face looks so much better what did you do. So that was a winning endorsment. In fact my bottle of preshave oil needs to be refiiled. I need get after that.

Coconut oil has got to be the worst possible oil to use as a pre-shave as it is comodogenic, thick and greasy comparative to most other oils (also leads to significant cholestoral issues, even when used topically and especially when consumed from cooking). If you want to make your own I recommend jojoba oil. I personally just use commercial pre-shave oils as they work very well for me. You only need a few drops rubbed onto a wet face. Many use too much or had their first experience with the Art of Shaving preshave which is essentially just scented cooking oil and hence feel that its not worth it. YMMV of course, but I strongly suggest using anything, even olive oil over coconut oil.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
It's not that I'm opposed to using pre-shave oils, but every time I see one, the bottles are very small and the price per quantity seems exorbitant. For the prices that are charged for it, it better be magical.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Cool thread topic!

Sooooo, when I was making my first set of shaving supply orders, I had picked up a jar of that Prorasso GREEN pre-shave cream. The camphor portion of the Eucalyptus scent can hit you like a ton of bricks, once applied in the moostash area, if it was any stronger, I'd pass out. The cream does do a good job though, at least, I think it does, as I seem to have a smooth shave with it.

I've been thinking about trying out a pre-shave oil, and I of course, have been looking towards Stirling for much of my shaving needs, because Stirling seems to know what they are doing over there. Yes, I too notice the higher cost of them, contained within a small bottle. But I was reading an important message on Stirling's product page.

They state, and I quote, "Use sparingly as a little goes a long way." This means that, the oil must be concentrated, and therefor you only need a tiny bit, cover the face and neck. So, logic dictates, with very little usage per shave, that little bottle is going to last longer then you think. Next month I will pickup a bottle, and report on what I think of it.

Coconut oil has got to be the worst possible oil to use as a pre-shave as it is comodogenic, thick and greasy comparative to most other oils (also leads to significant cholestoral issues, even when used topically and especially when consumed from cooking). If you want to make your own I recommend jojoba oil. I personally just use commercial pre-shave oils as they work very well for me. You only need a few drops rubbed onto a wet face. Many use too much or had their first experience with the Art of Shaving preshave which is essentially just scented cooking oil and hence feel that its not worth it. YMMV of course, but I strongly suggest using anything, even olive oil over coconut oil.
I've noticed a lot of small, cheap pump oils are nothing but Sunflower oil and Menthol!

Cool thread topic!

Sooooo, when I was making my first set of shaving supply orders, I had picked up a jar of that Prorasso GREEN pre-shave cream. The camphor portion of the Eucalyptus scent can hit you like a ton of bricks, once applied in the moostash area, if it was any stronger, I'd pass out. The cream does do a good job though, at least, I think it does, as I seem to have a smooth shave with it.

I've been thinking about trying out a pre-shave oil, and I of course, have been looking towards Stirling for much of my shaving needs, because Stirling seems to know what they are doing over there. Yes, I too notice the higher cost of them, contained within a small bottle. But I was reading an important message on Stirling's product page.

They state, and I quote, "Use sparingly as a little goes a long way." This means that, the oil must be concentrated, and therefor you only need a tiny bit, cover the face and neck. So, logic dictates, with very little usage per shave, that little bottle is going to last longer then you think. Next month I will pickup a bottle, and report on what I think of it.
I use Prosaro "Blue" (with Aloa Vera and Vitamin E) pre shave and shaving creme, it's a little bit scummy but because of that I think, it has a very good buffer.

I rate it over the Green, Red and White. I do like the White though as I have sensitive skin.
All to their own!

I use either a preshave oil or cream, and have to say that I have not found any difference between a cheap one or an expensive one.
I have used literally 2 drops of sunflower oil, preferred pre shave, and I use creme lather.
My focus is..... I have tried all forms of pre shave and the partner creme.
Enjoy them all, all good that suit.
If you are prey to razor burn with ATG, like I am.
Have a go with any oil, sunflower for eg., you will be surprised, 2 drops rubbed in prior to pre shave creme as well!
The blade buffer is different and works.

One last thing I would say though, wash it away and put your preferred balm on, possibly after an alum block pass, and cold water, tight skin feel and relieve with your idea of calming.

Another shaving site has/had what they claim is Art of Shaving preshave oil.
Castor oil 9 parts
Jojoba oil. 1 part
Grape seed oil 1 part
Olive oil 1 part
Add DROPS of essential oil you choose. A little goes a long way on scent.
I use four drops per shave.

I've noticed a lot of small, cheap pump oils are nothing but Sunflower oil and Menthol!
yep! Definitely pays dividends to look at the ingredient formulations of basically everything in wetshaving! I've had success with the American Crew, E-shave, King of Shaves and (homemade) Jojoba/olive oil mix. I don't rebuy any specific thing, since there's always new and different but these ones were good. There are quite a few bad that I won't go into but they're all defunct now so it doesn't matter anyway.

Depends... I’ve shaved with a straight razor without oil and been fine, but using oil isn’t a bad idea if you have coarse facial hair. Like some have been saying, pre-shave oils are ridiculously expensive and any kind of olive oil would suffice. I use Blades Grim Smolder pre-shave oil in an 8.45 oz container. It costs about $20.

I don't use preshave oils. But I suggest they may serve a purpose.

I believe too much oil often is used on the face, and that's the source of the problem/s that many shavers experience. Just a few drops (literally) will do ya. And a preshave oil must be thoroughly rubbed into the skin before lathering. Its purpose to make the skin more pliable and to minimize cuts, weepers, and razor burn, not to "lubricate." A high-quality slick soap does all the lubrication one needs.

I rarely use pre-shave since I moved away from bowl lathering. Probably 2-3x per month when I have more than daily growth to shave. I don’t take a morning shower before shaving as I shower before bed and typically shave mid-morning between meetings.

That said, I’ve had my little bottle of T&H since December and use 7 drops each session. I’m barely through the neck portion of the bottle and love the citrus aroma and performance over others I have tried.

Stay with what works for you. We definitely create our own recipe for success in this journey.

I use Proraso white pre-shave cream and AoS pre-shave oil. I actually like using them but really haven't done enough experimenting to see how effective they are. I soften the beard in the shower, and honestly, I think exfoliating the skin and softening the hair is the best pre-shave you can do.

Top Bottom