What's new

Pre shave oil

OK so this morning I found a little botleof Somersets shaving oil laying at the back of the cupboard. So, I decided to see what would it would work like as a pre-shave oil. Answer - BRILLIANT! For those who haven't used or seen Soemersets before, it's a 100% botanical based chaving oil with a mad blast of menthol to it. It's hyped as the best thing in shaving but I find all non lathering shave oils/serums etc just give me bumps. Ayhow, it is supposed to work because the essential oils used soften hair, which is why I figured it would work as a pre-shave oil.

Sequence was:
Hot shower
Face cleanser
Somersets oil straight out of shower (leave on while drying off)
L'Occitane Cade soap lathered straight onto the oil prepped face
Shave (Merkur 34C + Astra)
Prorasso non alcohol A/S

In the time it took to dry off the oil had softened my beard to almost towelly softeness, the Astra just sang as it sliced through. The methol zing was very pleasant too a bit like an ice pack during shaving.

If you have some of this stuff lying around give it a go.

Yep, tis good stuff, i recently posted about it just a few days ago. I use it as directed, on its own, simply superb stuff. Not sure if your post will be here in this section for much longer though. Although a shaving product it may well be moved to the section on shampoos etc:confused:, not sure why but if your post disappears check out that section for replies.

That's pretty interesting. I've never heard of the stuff. Where do you get it? Also, can you compare it to a common pre-shave oil like Proraso or something?

I've had a hard time getting my 5/8 full hollow str8 to cut through my tough face hair, and pre-shave oils are at the top of my list of things to try.

Yep, tis good stuff, i recently posted about it just a few days ago. I use it as directed, on its own, simply superb stuff. Not sure if your post will be here in this section for much longer though. Although a shaving product it may well be moved to the section on shampoos etc:confused:, not sure why but if your post disappears check out that section for replies.

Yeah I noticed that too... it was connfusing.

I live in Australia and you can get this stuff in just about any drugstore. It costs around AUD7, which would equate to around USD10.70. The bottle is tiny (12ml) but it lasts quite a while as you only need to use 2 or 3 drops. Judging from the website it's pretty available on the US. It's an English product. I've never used any other preshave cream/gel/oil so I can't really compare it. I was going to get the Prorasso stuff but after using this I may not bother until it's gone.

It's not bad stuff, and for some bizarre reason, stops nicks as well (when applied neat to a weeper). The original stuff works much better than the sensitive skin variety.:001_smile

Top Bottom