What's new

Pre-Shave Oil required for DE?

In Afghanistan and have been forced to shave without water (or shower) and have torn my face to shreds. I feel like spoiling myself when I get back and want to invest in a DE. Some basic questions that have probably been asked 100x before:
1) Does a more expensive DE equate to a higher quality shave? Looking at the Muhle R89.
http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/mur89sarast.html
2) Does the blade you use matter more than the razor handle itself? My limited research suggests the Wilkinson Black Label is pretty solid. Any thoughts?
3) Do I need a pre-shave oil? Currently using a Fusion Power with Trufitt & Hill Trafalgar (applied with brush) and Cellex-C Sea Silk Moisturizer as an aftershave balm. Kiehl's Facial Fuel was great the one sample pack I had and will probably adopt that full time after the Cellex-C runs out.
4) Penhaligon's Blenheim Boquet or other recommendations on creams once my Trufitt & Hill run out? Gessato? Kyoku?
I get most of my stuff from the Grooming Lounge in DC. Any other online retailers that offer high quality men's grooming products? Any one familiar with Vintage Blades LLC?

1. Not completely! However you appear to be looking in about the right price range for a new DE. I think often when you get a lot higher, you're paying up for luxury upgrades like fancier handles, etc.

2. I would say yes. A number of shaving vendors online carry blade sampler packs for that reason. WCS has a bunch of them or you can choose your own. http://westcoastshaving.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=db937f36e136989a8273bf14ba21340e

I'm partial to Feather blades, but i think it's definitely a case of finding the blades for your own face.

3. Using a pre-shave oil is not required. It does tend to help cushion your face a little more and give your razor a smoother surface to glide on. You do want to take care to prep your face though. Using a hot towel applied to your face for a minute or so helps soften your hair and open up your skin's pores.

The easiest way might be to shower before your shave and let hot water run on your face for awhile. Using a bit of a hair conditioner in the shower on your beard can also soften your hair for a shave. When you're done with your shave, consider rinsing off with cool water to shut your pores again.

4. I haven't tried the current Pens line, but so far my favorite brands of cream have been Cyril Salter, Truefitt and Hill, D.R. Harris and Castle Forbes. I believe West Coast Shaving from the above link stocks all of those. Godrej and Kiss My Face are also excellent performers if you'd like to shoot for cheaper options.

Be careful with softening your beard with conditioner, it's supposed to soften and strengthen hair.

As far as Vintage Blades LLC they are known to this forum rather well, and seem to have a good reputation.

When I started, I bought the Merkur 1904 because it was cheaper. I got good shaves from it, but I get better ones from the 1957 Superspeed I received as a PIF from this forum. So, I think it depends more on the blade than the razor/cost of razor. My next new razor I buy will be the EJ 89 or the Muhle. Basically the same razor.

I do not use a pre-shave gel, just shower before I shave.

Vintage Blades is a great place to shop. They had the best deals on Silvertip brushes (Rooney 3/1 - $75), plus a great selection of everything else.

If you have not tried any of the other T's, they are worth looking into, especially the Taylors Lavendar.

I know you cannot say specifically where you are, but stay safe and return home soon, brother.

Welcome to B&B

I cannot imagine shaving without any water… OUCH! If that were the case, I would definitely use some oil to help lubricate the skin and beard.

If you are looking at the Muhle R89, you can probably stop looking. I have both the Edwin Jagger DE89L and the Muhle R89 and I prefer the Muhle over the EJ. Why? The Muhle has a slightly lighter handle (by 13 grams) so it has a little different balance making the same ‘89’ head feel a little heavier, requiring even less pressure during the shave. The cross-cut / diamond cut handle is also easier to hold on to than the vertical lines on the EJ, IMO. There are a number of places you can find it in stock, so search around for your best price. The link you have is a good price, again IMO.

Yes, the blade does matter and which blade you choose should be your own decision, as what works well for others may not work well for you. For me, Wilkinson blades are a standard item at Bed Bath & Beyond and I reluctantly use them somewhat regularly when I travel, but I prefer Feather, Iridiums and Red Personna blades. I would suggest getting the large blade sampler from West Coast Shaving so you can try different blades, and I would use each blade at least 2 or 3 times before moving on to the next blade.

I have used Vintage Blades for a few items. Sometimes they have the better price, sometimes they do not, but regardless, they have always provided the service desired in a timely and professional manner.

Since you can use the discount code BB10 at the Chicago Truefitt & Hill web site for a 20% discount, why run out?

DolimiteB --

Welcome to B&B, glad to have you.

I am grateful for your service, and well understand the sacrifices you make. For now, I think the shave oil is a good idea as opposed to 'dry shaving'. :crying: You really need to get your beard/whiskers wet and/or lubricated for a shave.

High priced stuff doesn't necessarily translate into a superior shave result. Good quality stuff is certainly worthwhile, but not a panacea. Technique is probably more important than what you use.

To simplify this whole wet shaving process, I break it down to two categories:

1) What you use, (razor, brush, cream, blade, alum, A/S, etc,. eg, 'stuff').

and, 2) What you do, (pre-shave prep, location, direction, order, and length of razor strokes, pressure or lack of pressure on razor, buffing if any, blade angle, etc,. eg, 'technique').

You can use modest cost products and get a very fine, comfortable shave using good technique. You can also use the very finest products, sharpest blades, high-end razor, and with poor technique suffer weepers, cuts, nicks, scuffs, razor burn and be frustrated.

-- John Gehman

If you have to shave without water, I'd consider shave oil necessary. I use it now and then, but I have access to plenty of hot water, fortunately. If you can spare a few handfuls of water, I'd apply it a few times and let it sink in a few minutes before applying the shave oil. That should get you a decent shave under those conditions.

The Mühle is a terrific razor, but you should also consider the Edwin Jagger versions. I'm partial to the DE89L.

Blades make a huge difference. I love the Feathers, Iridiums and 7 O'Clock Yellows. All of them require a bit of experience and good technique. If you have those, you'll be able to get a great shave with the fewest passes.

Best wishes to you in Afghanistan - I appreciate your hard work and my best wishes for your safety and return home.

I don't use a pre-shave oil with my DE89L. I think good prep and good lather are all that are really needed in most cases. If you feel like you need additional lubrication, it's worth a try to see if you like it. I sometimes use a shave oil when trying to get the last stubborn patches because I can feel for the stubble easier without pushing the lubrication away from the area.

If you don't have water available for shaving, you can use any food-grade vegetable oil as a shave oil, so long as you aren't sensitive to it and like the smell. I found shave oil gave a nice feeling shave, and my only real objection was that the shaved hair and oil form a gunk that is harder to clean off the razor than soapy lather with hair in it. Definitely a lot better than dry shaving in any case.

In Afghanistan and have been forced to shave without water (or shower) and have torn my face to shreds. I feel like spoiling myself when I get back and want to invest in a DE. Some basic questions that have probably been asked 100x before:
1) Does a more expensive DE equate to a higher quality shave? Looking at the Muhle R89.
2) Does the blade you use matter more than the razor handle itself? My limited research suggests the Wilkinson Black Label is pretty solid. Any thoughts?
3) Do I need a pre-shave oil? Currently using a Fusion Power with Trufitt & Hill Trafalgar (applied with brush) and Cellex-C Sea Silk Moisturizer as an aftershave balm. Kiehl's Facial Fuel was great the one sample pack I had and will probably adopt that full time after the Cellex-C runs out.
4) Penhaligon's Blenheim Boquet or other recommendations on creams once my Trufitt & Hill run out? Gessato? Kyoku?
I get most of my stuff from the Grooming Lounge in DC. Any other online retailers that offer high quality men's grooming products? Any one familiar with Vintage Blades LLC?

When I was 18 I was in Kuwait. I had a little facial hair and got away with not shaving for weeks. They were not as picky on that stuff there until we got back to the States. I just used the Bics they had with Ivory soap. Was terrible. I broke out, had rashes on me neck and ingrown hairs. I discovered the real way to shave a few months ago and have no issues.
I like Truefitt and Hill Lavender or Trafalgar.

Thanks for serving, I was in OIF I for the move North, so I'm familiar with the trials you're suffering shave wise. When you get back, definitely treat yourself to some of the little luxuries in life...

As for your questions:
1. I have a Muhle R89, and love it. It's my first DE, but I recently bought a 40s SS and it also gave me a great shave.

2. I'm finding the blade matters quite a bit. I just used my first Feather this past Friday and got the best shave of my life, but I've also gotten a good shave from a Treet and from a Derby (though I felt like it was a bit uncomfortable).

3. I use a preshave oil (Anthony Logistics), but I've wet shaved without it both with cartridges and my DE.

4. I recently got a sample of Kyoku from the Grooming Lounge in Tysons Corner and was very underwhelmed. I'd stay with one of the old line creams/soaps from Europe if I was you...

I started with a 40.00 Merkur 33c from classicshaving.com and loved it. Feather blades are about the best I have used so far. I just started using preshave oil and IMHO can not say it helps one bit. Vintage Blade from what I understand is a good site. Haven't ordered from there yet but i'm sure I will. Stay safe and Thank-You for keeping us free

M

Mateo

Welcome to B&B! Razor and blade selection are personal choices. What works for one, may not work for another. Spending extra money on a razor will not guarantee a better shave. Although I do not own a Muhle R89, it is a fine choice. Buy a blade sample pack. Experiment with different blades and have fun with it. I do not have experience with Wilkinson blades. I can, however, highly recommend Feather, Astra Platinum, and Derby blades. Reference pre-shave oil, I recently started using it, and it works for me. Some do not like it. I believe that shaving prep is as important, if not more so than the shave itself in getting a quality shave. Soak up as much info as you can on the forum and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Pampering.

For me this is all about taking time to make a good lather . . . taking time to let it do it's work on my beard . . . Nicer yet if the lather has a scent I like . . . and gosh . . . I like several different scents . . . and Shaving with a nice razor. . . and we all choose our own everything . . . and if you don't pick what I pick you are happy and wrong . . .

I'm not gonna tell you what I picked . . . you will be happier with what you pick.

now bugger off.

Mike

Top Bottom