What's new

Pre shave: oil or cream

During my training periode I use Proraso Red as pre shave.
Since I am not allowed to change razor or blade during these for weeks, I am focussing on soaps, brushes etc.
That made me think of pre shave.
I use the Proraso with my brush and am happy with it.
But I wonder why some use creams and others oil.
Input appreciated 👍🏽

I've tried warm water, oil, cream and I don't see a difference with or without preshave. Between oil and proraso red preshave I prefered proraso red for the texture.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have only tried Proraso pre-shave cream. Didn't notice any difference over a few shave so stopped using it. Eventually PIFed it to a poor Filipino. Don't know what he did with it.

Some appreciate preshave products, definitely worth a try!

I have found little/no benefit so I don’t use them. My preshave routine is a warm shower, then I wash my face with CeraVe soap. Works for me!

For me proraso pre shave was counter productive like a layer of rubber on my face.

Floid shave oil works with older blades or Alluminium head razors
Paa or stirling pre shave soap still wins for me.

Attachments

• AB144B7E-D845-4A2B-B40D-0B3AA5D28D09.jpeg
    AB144B7E-D845-4A2B-B40D-0B3AA5D28D09.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 63C11C57-4B2E-41D7-B160-77D01BE81522.jpeg
    63C11C57-4B2E-41D7-B160-77D01BE81522.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 2FE5C93D-1D6E-45DB-92F4-93E615EDFF82.jpeg
    2FE5C93D-1D6E-45DB-92F4-93E615EDFF82.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 5
I initially started with Proraso which seemed to be decent at times and horrible at others.. as usual YMMV. The shave oils I tried seemed more messy than beneficial. Most of the time lately, if not after a shower, since I usually shave in the evening I have been using Cremo daily face wash which has been working well. I'm considering trying the PAA Cube or one of the sterling soaps.

I've used Proraso preshave & didn't see much, if any, difference in how my shaves were. I had also read using glycerin soap works well as a preshave. It is not an expensive product so I tried that for a few months. I didn't find much, if any, improvement with my shaves when using glycerin soap. My preshave routine now consists of a shower. I'm quite pleased with the results.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have tried Proraso Green in the pre shave. I like others have found no real improvement with the quality of the shave. The only pre shave product that I found that did improve my shave was Nivea For Men Cool Kick Arctic Freeze wash and shave gel. The only problem is it is not available out here in Australia anymore. It is a face wash and shave gel in one.

PAA Cube works for me. Oil seem to protect the skin, but does nothing positive for the wiskers.
I've found pre shave oil followed by a hot towel/flannel before lathering protects the skin and helps razor glide, but yes its water the whiskers need so lather thoroughly. Nevertheless, I've found oil great as a final pass, when the whiskers are thoroughly hydrated -any missed whiskers glisten and the oil helps you visibly shape and trim sideburns etc...

Reactions: JPO
I've used pre-shave oils, creams and soaps. The oils and creams are designed to hydrate the skin, not add slickness. The soap is darn slick.

I've found pre shave oil followed by a hot towel/flannel before lathering protects the skin and helps razor glide, but yes its water the whiskers need so lather thoroughly. Nevertheless, I've found oil great as a final pass, when the whiskers are thoroughly hydrated -any missed whiskers glisten and the oil helps you visibly shape and trim sideburns etc...
I think most of the irritation comes from the second and third pass. I agree that it makes sence to use it as you say. I have applied pre shave cream before the second pass with good results. If i use oil i like Argan oil or clarins shave ease oil.

Tried the oils which seemed effective but I did not like the greasy feel. My experience is limited but am doing well with Proraso pre-shave creams. Like them all-each has different benefits:
White: Seems good for my sensitive skin
Red: Seems to provide the best cushion
Green: ah the cooling sensation

Typically pair with the same color shave cream. But, as I say, still new to the game.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've only just began my journey into wet shaving but I've tried most preshave oils, soap and creams to me there wasn't much difference. Now I just take a warm shower and a couple of warm not hot slightly damp face clothes 25 seconds in the microwave seems to do the trick and brings them to the right temperature

I usually shower before shaving and do not then use a pre-shave oil or cream
When I don’t have time to shower I will use a pre-shave. Both the Proraso white and green seem to help in that situation. I have used Badger shave oil and my experience with it is that it caused the razor to drag. It sort of feels like the head sticks to my face.

Top Bottom