What's new

Pre-shave Oil Effect on Brushes

I recently bought my first 'half decent' shaving brush-the Simpson X2L Colonel in best badger. I have always liked using my homemade pre-shave oil but I am concerned that there might damage my new brush in the long run. Is this a valid concern. I had been using a cheap pure badger before this one and noticed that a some of the hairs in the middle of the brush started to mat together.

As an older guy I like to use pre shave oil to add some suppleness to my skin. I believe it helps reduce nicks. I don't use much and massage it in. I have never noticed any effect on my brushes.

I use PSO all the time. I think the soap pretty much washes any PSO out of the brush. None of my brushes has any smell or oiliness to them.

For many years I used pre-shave oil. However, the oil I used (from T&H and the oil I made) were light oils. For more than 20 years I primarily used only one brush and that brush is still around today. I never had a problem with oil on the brush but I was fastidious in cleaning the brush after every shave and gave it a complete cleaning once a year. If you are using heavy oils such as castor oil you should use extra care in cleaning your brush after you shave.

Some might opine that a little oil would actually benefit the brush hair...you think badgers and boars in the wild don't have oily hair?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
As an older guy I like to use pre shave oil to add some suppleness to my skin. I believe it helps reduce nicks. I don't use much and massage it in. I have never noticed any effect on my brushes.
This is the proper way to use pre shave oil, not as an extra layer of oil under the lather for more lubrication

Welcome shupey! For several years I used and enjoyed AOS preshave sandalwood oil, which is relatively thick, with just a couple brushes. I would routinely wash the brush with hand soap and water after use, rinse again, and never had any problem whatsoever.

Thanks boys! I am going to go ahead and use the PSO with my new Simpson brush. I'll make sure to not use a lot. It does really seem to reduce the number of nicks i get.

Top Bottom