What's new

Pre-Shave Oil-Did it help you or not?

Did pre-shave oil help you get a better shave?

• Yes, it did.

• No, it did absolutely nothing for the quality of my shave.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hey guys, I just wanted to take a quick poll of everyone on the board who has used any type/brand of pre-shave oil. Did the pre-shave oil HELP you get a smoother, closer shave or did it just gunk up your razor without improving the quality of your shave one bit? If you don't want to type out a response, you can just hit "A" if it helped you, or "B" if you think that it was just a waste of time and money. Thanks.

A-Yes, I honestly think that pre-shave oil helped me get a better, more satisfying/comfortable shave.

B-No, pre-shave oil did nothing for my shave. It was a waste of time and $.

I voted that it helps, and I believe it does. It is not essential, but it adds a bit more lubrication. So if my lather isn't perfect, or if I'm in a hurry, or not paying close enough attention, or it's the third day on the blade, then preshave oil can make the difference between a mediocre shave and a DFS. As a newbie, it was more important to me than it is after several months. YMMV.

First, there are many products out there - some good and some not so good.

It depends a lot on the product and formulation. I have been using T&H and my own blend and like both.!!~!!

I used an oil a while back, can't remember which one, but I also used olive oil, not extra virgin (makes you smell like salad) but pure and found it worked just as good. But it was too messy and I get good results with Body Shop cream. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

When I´m in a tight spot T&H works for me it softens/straightens the stubble quicker. Maybe its just because I have girly stubble I cannot grow a beard - only stubble and its exactly the same color as my skin therefore for the majority its invisible :detective:

I have use AOS and Pacific Shaving Co. and couldn't see much if any difference.
Floid Pre Shave Gel is a whole different critter. It really works.

I've used Shave Secret as a pre shave, and I've used plain old baby oil. Get the face good and wet and apply a light application of the oil before lathering. Great prep when I've skipped a day of shaving for instance.

A definite thumbs up. I am using several different oil formulations, some better than others. There have been some strong remarks that the oils are not lubes but rather skin conditioners that soften skin and therefore aid in getting the skin out of the way of the blade. I don't know if that is a scientific statement or some extrapolation of something the poster read somewhere.
Layering i.e., Cremo, gels,oils etc under lather is simply a good technique and a means to an end. Point is there is something for some of us that asks for 'more' that we don't get from a single (albeit 'wonderful') product. Maybe it is technique or maybe that is just the way it is. Prince Charles of Hydrolast has a good point.
Point is to have an enjoyable experience on the way to shave Nirvana. YMMV

So do you wet your face, apply the pre-shave oil, lather up and shave? I am going to try to grab some this weekend, but I am not sure of the sequencing. Thanks in advance of course!

Dave :ihih:

I have only tried AOS pre-shave oil. I didn't do anything to improve my already awesome shaves. It did add some time and expense to the process, though

I like the AOS oil. It makes a positive difference. Not so that it makes the shave closer, but it cuts down on the irritation.

I have a tough beard and sensitive skin. Most normal shave creams dry out my face. Pre shave oils make a world of difference in that my shaving irritation almost goes away. I have used:

- The pre-shave oil in the T&H sampler. A +++. Not viscous, has a light citrus smell which fades away and doesn't interfere with shaving product scents. But at $30/2ozs, it is expensive.

- Tried the Shave Secret oil in Walmart after reading +ve reviews online. It is inexpensive and works well. Not viscous. The big con for me is I have a bad irritation/burning every time I use it. It also has a strong clove smell, so if you like the scent of your shaving product this will surely overpower it.

- Tried EVOO from the kitchen. Works equally well when used sparingly. Smell like a salad afterwards though :001_tongu

Will try Jim's recipe and see if it works for me.

I apply the preshave oil. But then I lather up. I spend at least a minute face lathering. I think all that soap and all that brush work nullifies the oil.

My wife got me the AOS trio for Valentine's- Sandalwood pre-shave oil, cream, and after-shave balm. Nice trio and I feel the oil decreased weepers, but I found the razor gumming up more than I cared for when trying to rinse between passes.

I like shave oil, but it makes my face OILY if I use it regularly so I skip it now. However it adds some glide, especially for ATG and touch ups, or when your just learning wet shaving.

Personally, I found it made an improvement in my shaves. On occasion I have also forgotten to apply it, and wondered why my shave did not feel quite as smooth as normal. I make my own PSO and have used some AOS that I got as a gift. Not much difference, except in the price department!

Top Bottom