What's new

Pre-shave oil - apply on dry or wet face?

S

slather

What's the proper way to use a pre-shave oil (such as Pacific Shaving Shave Oil)? Apply it right after shower on wet face or let the face dry first or even without getting the face wet at all?

In my opinion and what I was told at my local shaving supply, you'll add it to your face patted dry. It gets really messy when you try and mix the oil and water ;-)

I used shave secret and the instuctions said to use on wet face.

In my opinion and what I was told at my local shaving supply, you'll add it to your face patted dry. It gets really messy when you try and mix the oil and water ;-)

Best to apply pre-shave oil on a wet face, but are you sure you need the oil at all? Try shaving with & without and decide if it really offers anything over a good thick lather.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Best to apply pre-shave oil on a wet face, but are you sure you need the oil at all? Try shaving with & without and decide if it really offers anything over a good thick lather.

+1 to that. I find that preshave oil adds nothing to the quality of the shave, and just complicates getting a good lather on my face. No soap wants to stick to oil, and I ain't shaving with just oil, LOL
Give it a try both ways, but I think you'll find it's an unecessary and messy step you could well do without.
Just my opinion, Your Mileage May Vary

I agree that preshave oil does nothing for a shave. Heck I don't think oil adds anything to a shave period, but heck it's worth trying a few times. I mean you're only out what? A few bucks if you try something like Shave Secret? Anyway, the stuff goes on easier if your face is wet or, more accurately, is slightly damp. The oil will spread quicker, easier and more efficiently if it has a little water to spread out upon.

Because its all about WET shaving, I'd apply it to a wet face.

That being said, having a wet face will reduce the oil penetration (oil and water dont mix) so you would probably be better off applying it to a dry face!

I use EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and noticed no difference on a dry or wet face.

I did noticed when I didn't use it I got nicks and weepers.:ohmy:

G

gone down south

I would do it one way, then do it the other way, and stick with whichever worked out best.

S

slather

I tried an oil for the first time this morning. Either way I apply it, I don't think it's for me. Just too messy, it clogged my razor and it left me with oily sideburns. I guess a good shaving cream/soap is good enough for me.

Top Bottom