What's new

pre shave guard

That's a question you'd be better equipped to answer than us :)

It depends on a lot of variables, like the products in question and the nature of your skin and beard.

Some people love pre-shave oils, others find them unnecessary or even detrimental to their shave. Common complaints among those who don't like them are that a pre-shave oil may interfere with applying a good coat of lather for your first pass, or even that the oil is too sticky and negatively affects razor glide. But others don't mind the extra prep step and feel their skin benefits from a pre-shave oil.

Try what's known around here as "Kyle's Prep" if you're interested in a pre-shave prep alternative before buying a pre-shave oil. After building up your lather, apply a coat to your face and then apply a warm, damp washcloth to your face. Hold it there for a minute or two, and then wipe everything off before applying another coat of lather for your first pass with the razor. If that works for you, and you don't feel you're shredding up your face, then you maybe won't need to buy a pre-shave oil.

The theory of pre-shave oil is to give your skin an added layer of protection before applying a shaving soap or cream lather. Also, it acts as a lubricant and helps the razor glide over your skin. Additional benefits of pre-shave oil are that it moisturizes the skin and protects your skin from razor burn or irritation. Pre-shave oil is one of those things that is an individual thing. As you may find out some on B&B think it is a waste of time and others think it helped them get a better shave.

When I first started shaving I did not use pre-shave oil or cream. However, when I went to the barbershop and got a shave he would apply a menthol cream on my face and then put a hot towel on it for a few minutes. It wasn't until years later that I tried pre shave oil. My oldest son gave me a package from T&H that contained their pre shave oil in it. I tried it and liked it. It lasted a long time and I bought another bottle of it. I then made my own pre shave oil and used that. Gradually, however, I started to eliminate the pre shave oil. Now I only use it when I shave twice a day if I have an unexpected evening engagement.

So, the best advice I can give you is to judge for yourself.

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B

Only you can be the judge of that based on how your shave comes out. IF you hydrate your beard adequately before shaving you should not need anything other than lather.

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Thanks for answers about pre shave, I'm using Proraso green cream and pre shave guard I have is a cream by dermalogica. Haven't used the dermalogica yet was wondering if it would make any difference?
also this afternoon I had a shave at Turkish barbers and 2 hours on my face is on fire. Iv tried rubbing the alum on when I came home and never felt stinging like it!! He gave me a 2 pass shave and went atg first pass then wtg second?? Any tips on how I can cool my face down?

Thanks for answers about pre shave, I'm using Proraso green cream and pre shave guard I have is a cream by dermalogica. Haven't used the dermalogica yet was wondering if it would make any difference?
also this afternoon I had a shave at Turkish barbers and 2 hours on my face is on fire. Iv tried rubbing the alum on when I came home and never felt stinging like it!! He gave me a 2 pass shave and went atg first pass then wtg second?? Any tips on how I can cool my face down?

Try some WH and then use an aftershave balm.

Last edited:
Cheers again, iv not got any Wh, will order some, can u recommend any? Face starting to cool down now but very blotchy? Can't believe how addictive this de shaving has become but loving it

Try shaving with it, then try shaving without it. Only you can determine if it's right for you or not.

+1. That applies to just about anything in shaving.

I have heard comments from some folks who never tried pre shave oil and yet say it does no good. I have also heard comments such as it clogs your pores and runs your brush. However, since you use only a few drops these comments are not accurate. In fact, I have one brush that is over 35 years old and after using pre shave oil for more than ten years it is perfectly good.

Last edited:
Cheers again, iv not got any Wh, will order some, can u recommend any? Face starting to cool down now but very blotchy? Can't believe how addictive this de shaving has become but loving it

Any WH will work and you can get it at any drug store, grocery, or discount store. I happen to like Thayers and you can get that at Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, Swanson Vitamins, and many health food stores. Amazon also carries it.

I have never tried a pre shave oil, but do use Edwin Jagger's Pre Shave Lotion. I tried a sample of it on again and off again, and found that it really does make a difference for me in terms of protection. A little goes a long way, and it contains a light amount of menthol, which I enjoy.

Top Bottom