What's new

Pre Shave first time user

My wife came home from a day off shopping trip with the girls. I have trained her to always look for shaving things that "don't look familiar". Well today she came home from Marshalls with Proraso green pre shave.

I have never used a pre shave cream/balm anything. I searched a bit and I didn't see what I am looking for. So here it goes.

1. Is there a time frame I need to leave it on to work?

2. Just rub some in after I get out of the shower until it disappears?

Those two questions are my top ones.

I typically shower. QTips, deodorant, build a lather, rewet face with water while I fill the sink. 3 pass shave.

Do I pre shave first thing out of shower?

Thanks guys

KM

When I used that product I wet my face, applied the pre-shave, and rubbed it onto my face and neck. I would then apply the lather on top of the pre-shave. I did not wait any time to apply the lather. I would spend about a minute to rub the pre-shave in.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
When I used that product I wet my face, applied the pre-shave, and rubbed it onto my face and neck. I would then apply the lather on top of the pre-shave. I did not wait any time to apply the lather. I would spend about a minute to rub the pre-shave in.
This is how I used it as well. I hope that it works for you.

After I did the normal outta shower stuff I kinda just wet my face with my wet hands and rubbed the pre shave in.

Loaded my brush and lathered it up in a bowl and started shaving. I have to say it was a good shave. As it has turned cooler here this last week I have noticed my trouble areas are coming back in my lower neck.

I only made 2 passes there and it went better then 1 pass yesterday. I will attempt again tomorrow morning.

My concern is if I feel like I get better shaves I will then have to find room to have some pre shaves.

Oh well

Thanks fellas.

KM

I usually don't wait for any period of time . Most preshave products I have used are distributed fairly quickly.

Preshave is often overlooked, but I find a preshave can make some difference.

For me, preshave adds more to the experience than any real benefit.

If you shower, wash your face, use a quality soap/cream with a brush, your face should be well prepared and the preshave won’t be able to make a big difference. It’s still nice, though

I usually get out of the shower and put the pre-shave on, I work it into the whiskers and use enough that it is a thin white layer across everything. I then load my blade, load from a pick of soap or load cream in a dish, and then apply right on top of the Proraso Pre. I only use it the first pass.

Green Proraso Pre is also great for cooling “hot” areas after a shave. I will usually cold water rinse then pat dry. I use my Green after shave splash and then add a little Pre shave cream where I feel I might have irritated the skin from shaving. Haven’t needed to do that in quite awhile, but when I did I used just a little and it felt great.

My wife came home from a day off shopping trip with the girls. I have trained her to always look for shaving things that "don't look familiar". Well today she came home from Marshalls with Proraso green pre shave.

You are a lucky man with a wife that supports your "shave" hobby.

Day 2 update.

Used it again a couple minutes before putting steel to face.

A great shave. No irritation in neck line that I have had the last 10 or so days.

The preshave is the only thing I changed besides the razor about 4 shaves ago trying to figure this irritation out.

2 days in and for me it makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

KM

I found that preshave makes a difference for me. I shower, do the typical after shower stuff, then wet my face apply the preshave then apply the lather and shave. I use Proraso Red, Green and Crown Preshave. Have had good results with all.

I have never used a pre shave cream/balm anything. I searched a bit and I didn't see what I am looking for. So here it goes.

1. Is there a time frame I need to leave it on to work?

2. Just rub some in after I get out of the shower until it disappears?

Those two questions are my top ones.

I typically shower. QTips, deodorant, build a lather, rewet face with water while I fill the sink. 3 pass shave.

Do I pre shave first thing out of shower?

Thanks guys

KM
Put it on you don't need to much just cover the hairs leave for about 2 minutes then lather

I have used this pre shave the last three mornings. I have to say the last 3 shaves were better then the 7 to 10 shaves before them.

I believe someone that has to do with the colder weather. I think a high of 16 today, current wind-chill at 5:15 is -6.

I think I will switch to a balm as well as a balm in the evenings and see if that helps as well

I bet I will be back after a while asking what pre shaves everyone uses. That's another day

KM

I bought some pre-shave oil to try a couple of months ago. The ingredients are grape seed oil, almond seed oil, and caster oil, plus some scent.

It seemed to give me a smoother shave when I was using it with Edge shaving cream. It made no difference when using with Aveeno shaving cream.

Since then I have been using some of the Proraso creams and soaps, and also some of the Rasorock soaps. Those work perfectly well for me by themselves and the oil made no difference.

The oil does seem to make a difference when I use it with Williams soap. It makes things a bit more slippery and smooth.

I'm not sure if I'll buy any more pre-shave oil. If I do decide to use it, I might just see if I can get some oil from the local equivalent of Whole Foods, since they have a whole bunch of different oils for use with aromatherapy. The soaps I've been using are scented, so I probably don't need to scent the oil too and can just use plain oil. (I looked and they have grape seed oil and sweet almond oil, plus a whole bunch of others.)

Now that I'm thinking about it, tomorrow I'm going to try some olive oil as pre-shave. :)

I bought some pre-shave oil to try a couple of months ago. The ingredients are grape seed oil, almond seed oil, and caster oil, plus some scent.

It seemed to give me a smoother shave when I was using it with Edge shaving cream. It made no difference when using with Aveeno shaving cream.

Since then I have been using some of the Proraso creams and soaps, and also some of the Rasorock soaps. Those work perfectly well for me by themselves and the oil made no difference.

The oil does seem to make a difference when I use it with Williams soap. It makes things a bit more slippery and smooth.

I'm not sure if I'll buy any more pre-shave oil. If I do decide to use it, I might just see if I can get some oil from the local equivalent of Whole Foods, since they have a whole bunch of different oils for use with aromatherapy. The soaps I've been using are scented, so I probably don't need to scent the oil too and can just use plain oil. (I looked and they have grape seed oil and sweet almond oil, plus a whole bunch of others.)

Now that I'm thinking about it, tomorrow I'm going to try some olive oil as pre-shave. :)
How did olive oil work

I get positive results with a pre-shave cream, i massage it onto my face for about 2 min, keep it on for about 3-5 mins and wash it off, yes a waste of product and $
I find proraso can clog a razor however this does make my hair stand upright

Top Bottom