What's new

Pre-shave Face Wash Soap

I’m planning to give Fitjar Islands a try. At 175 NOK per bar it must be good.

645F3CCC-EDC7-4EE2-BB95-E222CC7B4AC0.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I shave before a shower/bath. My pre-shave routine starts with a hot-water face wash using bar soap and thoroughly rinse with fresh water before applying shaving soap for a face lather.

Is there a noticeably difference in shave quality due to the bar soap used?

Not sure if it matters, but I'm a SR shaver and generally lather with an ARKO stick.
Well you are on the right path for proper shaving procedure according to a article Gillette put out many years ago about pre shave importance.
Gillette claims you should defoliate your face prior to shaving of facial oils + dead skin and to hydrate your whiskers for easier slicing.
My routine I started over 2 years ago is get the warm water started into a small plastic tub in the sink and then I quickly splash some warm water on the face and then I take my Dedicated Yaqi Cashmere 24mm synthetic brush(very soft brush and dry's quickly) and I heat it with some hot water and then load the brush with some CeraVe hand bar cleanser.
Then I proceed to brush lather my whole face with this state of the art CeraVe soap and I find it better than the hot water towel method and more enjoyable.
A bar of CeraVe soap is a lot more $$ than the mass produced soap most folks use but it lasts about 10> months (10 second load is all that is needed, the lather this produces is out standing with a brush), It is gentler on the eyes if you do get some soap in them, it is one of the better soaps out there IMO.
CeraVe hand bar soap has ran through the women's gantlet test for cleaning the make up off their faces for decades and they are a vocal bunch to say the least if something is not right :laugh: .
Then I rinse with some warm water to remove the bulk of the suds off and then a cold rinse pat dry eye areas with a towel and then I apply a dollop Aloe clear Vera gel to cleaned moist beard area only.
Next I mix my lather in my lather bowl and by then the Aloe has soaked into the whiskers enough and start applying shave soap lather.
Great results I believe and my simple procedure takes about 1 1/2 minutes and does not gum up my shave gear with oils and films and most people wash their faces anyways so it might take a minute longer if that.
Pre shave gear...................................CeraVe soap..........................................CeraVe ingredients.
Z-Pre shave products (2).jpg
CeraVe 2 (2).jpg
CeraVe 1 (2).jpg

CeraVe claims all this interesting information through their testing.
CeraVe 3 (2).jpg

I even did a shave with this soap once and it has reasonably good protection, very impressive.

Last edited:
I honestly don't believe pre shave soap makes any difference in shave performance or post shave. The shave soap you use has a more direct effect to your shave. Any good face wash or glycerin based soap would be good enough. The point is to get rid of excess dirt and oil off your face and prepare the skin for a shave. If you can get away with using Dove or Irish Spring without drying your face why not. Me personally a good face wash or glycerin based soap works best for me if you can find something with menthol better.
IMG_20210903_213243870~2.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I shave before a shower/bath. My pre-shave routine starts with a hot-water face wash using bar soap and thoroughly rinse with fresh water before applying shaving soap for a face lather.

Not sure if it matters, but I'm a SR shaver and generally lather with an ARKO stick.
I shower before I shave but use bar soap (Grandma’s Pure Lye Soap) and then shave - just warm water before lathering and have no problem. My beard is a bit wirey because of age but not particularly dense. My shave routine is simply water, decent inexpensive soap and razor as it has always been. When it comes to shaving and many other things, I’m pretty much a minimalist. I drink common American mass produced beer, Black Box wine and smoke over the counter pipe tobacco - I suppose I’m a real bore 😂.

Muhle Organic Face Wash is a gentle cleanser that I’ve been enjoying recently. Costs about 20€ for a large 250ml size. A little goes a long way

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Well you are on the right path for proper shaving procedure according to a article Gillette put out many years ago about pre shave importance.
Gillette claims you should defoliate your face prior to shaving of facial oils + dead skin and to hydrate your whiskers for easier slicing.
My routine I started over 2 years ago is get the warm water started into a small plastic tub in the sink and then I quickly splash some warm water on the face and then I take my Dedicated Yaqi Cashmere 24mm synthetic brush(very soft brush and dry's quickly) and I heat it with some hot water and then load the brush with some CeraVe hand bar cleanser.
Then I proceed to brush lather my whole face with this state of the art CeraVe soap and I find it better than the hot water towel method and more enjoyable.
A bar of CeraVe soap is a lot more $$ than the mass produced soap most folks use but it lasts about 10> months (10 second load is all that is needed, the lather this produces is out standing with a brush), It is gentler on the eyes if you do get some soap in them, it is one of the better soaps out there IMO.
CeraVe hand bar soap has ran through the women's gantlet test for cleaning the make up off their faces for decades and they are a vocal bunch to say the least if something is not right :laugh: .
Then I rinse with some warm water to remove the bulk of the suds off and then a cold rinse pat dry eye areas with a towel and then I apply a dollop Aloe clear Vera gel to cleaned moist beard area only.
Next I mix my lather in my lather bowl and by then the Aloe has soaked into the whiskers enough and start applying shave soap lather.
Great results I believe and my simple procedure takes about 1 1/2 minutes and does not gum up my shave gear with oils and films and most people wash their faces anyways so it might take a minute longer if that.
Pre shave gear...................................CeraVe soap..........................................CeraVe ingredients.
View attachment 1322818 View attachment 1322820 View attachment 1322822
CeraVe claims all this interesting information through their testing.
View attachment 1322823
I even did a shave with this soap once and it has reasonably good protection, very impressive.
Another CeraVe bar user here. In fact, I picked up the idea from you, Ron. Great stuff.

I use mine a bit differently. I start by rubbing a dry bar of CV across my dry beard as if were a shave stick. I do my cheeks, chin, neck, etc. Nothing too heavy. Just a light rime of soap. (The bar itself seems to last forever.)

Then I scoop on the hot water. I wet and rub, adding lots of hot water--almost to the point of rinsing off. Only then do I lather up, as my whiskers are now warm and well hydrated. Makes the ensuing shave smooth as silk.

Again, thanks for the initial idea, and for this most informative post.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Another CeraVe bar user here. In fact, I picked up the idea from you, Ron. Great stuff.

I use mine a bit differently. I start by rubbing a dry bar of CV across my dry beard as if were a shave stick. I do my cheeks, chin, neck, etc. Nothing too heavy. Just a light rime of soap. (The bar itself seems to last forever.)

Then I scoop on the hot water. I wet and rub, adding lots of hot water--almost to the point of rinsing off. Only then do I lather up, as my whiskers are now warm and well hydrated. Makes the ensuing shave smooth as silk.

Again, thanks for the initial idea, and for this most informative post.
Nothing wrong with your application IMO Bill, I do mine as you know with a brush because I seem to get dry eyes in the area I live from forest fire to allergies to just very dry winter conditions.
& so I resorted to eye drops and they did not help much at all so I went looking for alternatives and found this soap and a few others.
I find my skin can get a little acidic & burns my eyes when sweating so I figured I had to find a good soap and CeraVe was good all around mild cleanser and great hydrator. CeraVe has helped a lot and I have no serious issues since and lot cheaper than eye drops and better for the skin. If a person works around chemicals they should wash face well in hind sight, a lot of folks are exposed every day over many years in harsh environments to make a living.
So why not share some information if it helps some one else :thumbup: .

Last edited:

HI. what does "SR" mean, and what is ARKO stick?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I shower before shaving and use pure lye soap which is very gentle but I don’t know if any particular bath soap would make any difference. The ARKO does the magic.

I always wash with St Ives apricot scrub before a shave. It feels great and I get a good scrub of as to remove any dead skin dirt etc Also it is cheap and pleantyful.

Top Bottom