What's new

Pre-shave creams vs oils

Hello,
I have only used the Mango butter, and yes its a bit hard, but goes on nicely, really hydrates my skin. It does not really have a smell, which I prefer for a pre shave. Its really true that every one is different, and what works for one does not mean it will work for another.
Cheers,
Jim
Thanks. I think what surprised me was that it was actually difficult to spread it across my face because it was so hard, even after massaging into with my hands to start. It definitely works for hydration and it does work overall...I just wanted to make sure the product wasn't defective vs something that you had received (knowing that your one order isn't necessarily a fair representation...just wanted to check as a newbie!) Your guidance is appreciated.

You stated in your OP that razorburn was a rare, if ever, thing with your cartridge razor. Same here, but nostalgia dictates I continue to try de's and pre-shave, creams & oils, various soaps, etc. to make one shave as comfortably. I am trying to break myself from this. No luck so far, too much in love with the forties & fifties.

I wish you luck in your quest, Ron

Thanks. I think what surprised me was that it was actually difficult to spread it across my face because it was so hard, even after massaging into with my hands to start. It definitely works for hydration and it does work overall...I just wanted to make sure the product wasn't defective vs something that you had received (knowing that your one order isn't necessarily a fair representation...just wanted to check as a newbie!) Your guidance is appreciated.
I've been using Shea-butter from Saponificio Varesino, which is also quite hard and I had the same issues. I haven't tried the mango butter, but if it is similar, here's what I do:
  • I take a bit more, which makes it easier to apply.
  • I only rub it between the finger-part of my hands before use, not the palm part. This way, there is more product on less area which makes it easier to apply. On more area, more sticks to the hand and you'd need more product for the same ease.
  • I tend to apply it with my face still a little wet. The butter mixes a little with the water, making is a bit less hard. Often I apply a little extra water while rubbing it in.
  • I rub it in circular motions and against-the-grain. The "against-the-grain" part of this motion does 2 things: Firstly, it scrapes more butter off my hands and onto my face. Secondly, this helps mix the water with the butter, making it softer.
That does it for me.

Another tip, that I mainly use for post-shave, where I only use a tiny amount to prevent an oily look, is that I use a hair-dryer at lowest blow-speed but highest heat on my face to melt it. It will flow out more equally due to the melting. I may rub out the liquifying butter with my hands in the area where I'm blowing. You can also heat up your hand which helps. Someone mentioned you could melt the butter in your palm first this way and then apply it, but I found that the cooler skin on my face instantly hardened it. Maybe that works with more butter during pre-shave.

I had a lot of similar problems with irritation. I'm very new at DE shaving, but I had massive improvements after some great advice and it is improving all the time.

This article from @Kyle really helped me make improvements:
How-to: Pre-Shave Prep
And this article by @AimlessWanderer is just awesome:
The Wanderers Guide To DE Shaving

I have limited time in the morning, so I do this a bit differently from @Kyle (though his approach is even better). I lather right after the shower on my still warm skin (made a thinner lather, as he suggests, before the shower and the lather-bowl is in hot water to have warm lather). But I do not shave yet. I do the rest of my morning routine with the lather on my face. Then I wash it off, re-lather and shave. My hairs are much softer now.
I changed from small strokes to slower, longer strokes with no pressure. With the short strokes, I was accidentally doing multiple passes on the same skin without lather; just my inexperience I guess. The longer single strokes made it easier to prevent me from accidentally doing this. This also makes it a lot faster to shave, allowing more passes during weekdays and be smoother:)
Finally if the hairs are not cut easily or my skin jumps behind the razor, I switch to a milder direction; no tunnel-vision on BBS. It means the hairs are not soft enough and shaving will cause irritation if I continue.

I hope this helps. Shaves for me might not yet be fully BBS, but with more technique I notice that I'm getting closer and closer. Hair length are also more consistent across my face, which actually feels better and more like a "quality" shave than parts BBS and parts with remaining stubble.

@Try em all good job flanking the preshave experiment thread, I was going to but you beat me to it! Good information in there, it’s a good read. My prep is hot shower, then I apply glycerin soap for a few minutes, then lather up & shave.

@Try em all good job flanking the preshave experiment thread, I was going to but you beat me to it! Good information in there, it’s a good read. My prep is hot shower, then I apply glycerin soap for a few minutes, then lather up & shave.
Thanks.
On the basis of that thread, I'd started using glycerine soaps as post shower preshaves. Made a difference.

I won't use pre-shave oils again, they constantly compromise brushes. Definitely won't use with my new badger brushes.

Simpson reccomends pre-shave clearly on their web site. I enjoy the use of preshave oil but questioned their use as well until I read Simpson's recommendation

Simpson reccomends pre-shave clearly on their web site. I enjoy the use of preshave oil but questioned their use as well until I read Simpson's recommendation

Like any other company, they have products to sell, and it does work for when you’re in a bit more of a hurry or want to supplement your existing preshave routine. It’s all quite YMMV.

You certainly can’t prep too much, but you certainly don’t want to undertake a shave without adequate prep either.

Top Bottom