What's new

Pre-Shave Cream

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've off and on used several preshave products most of which added nothing.

I've also used off and on Grooming Dept Pre-shave which makes a very significant difference in the overall quality of my shaves (mostly meaning how close they are and how little work is needed to get there).

For the record my shaves are with a straight razor. I face lather.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I suffer from dry skin in winter and my experience is, that pre-shave oil is beneficial for me. I use pure argan oil which is non comedogenic and very plaeasant to use.
Downside is, that you will have to take care of your brushes as the oil will build up on them over time and the lather will suffer greatly. Best practice is to clean them after every use with some mild dish cleaner.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have used Proraso pre shave many times and enjoy the strong menthol kick in the mornings. I do not find that improves my shave though, and sometimes it seems to impair the lather building process as I prefer to face lather. It is cheap enough and makes an OK post shave as well. Give it a try is my advice.

I always use a pre-shave cream now. I have some 3-P, some PREP, and some Lucky Tiger. Mostly though, I use generic hand lotion or Noxema. Clogs up the razor (I have to take out and rinse the blade after every use) but it gives me a better shave with fewer nicks.

I always use a pre-shave cream now. I have some 3-P, some PREP, and some Lucky Tiger. Mostly though, I use generic hand lotion or Noxema. Clogs up the razor (I have to take out and rinse the blade after every use) but it gives me a better shave with fewer nicks.
I have some Proraso Green Preshave. It works fine. The Walmart Equate brand of Noxzema works equallywellat a fraction of the price. I've added some kokum butter to a small tub of mine & warmed it to blend & it works as well or better than the Proraso. I've also got a little tub of Noxzema For Men and it's about as good as anything else - I apply it, then let it sit while whipping up a lather.
I don't always use a pre-shave, but whenever I do I've noticed I get a little longer blade life with somther shaves for a additional 2-3 shaves.

A quick question about pre-shave products. I have never bothered using one, but I'm wondering whether it might be worth adding one to my routine.

My hair type requires a minimum of a mid-aggression razor to get the result I want without excessive touch ups. The issue is there is a problem area on my neck which gets at least mildly irritated most of the time. My question is, would adding a pre-shave item like the one made by proraso make enough difference to prevent that from happening?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Have you ever tried a pre-shave oil? I use one every day and don't have any irritation problems. I mix my own using 50% grape see oil, 25% Jojoba oil, and 25% sweet almond oil, with some lemon oil just for scent. I apply it after getting out of the shower so that it's on my face for a minute or two while I mix my lather, then apply the lather over the oil. Works great, and I've never experienced any buildup on my brushes because I rinse my brushes after I use them.

Preshave is supposed to soften your skin making it more resilient under the blade. You are supposed to use only a small amount. It shouldn't be clogging your razor or fouling your brush. If it is, you are using way too much.

I've off and on used several preshave products most of which added nothing.

I've also used off and on Grooming Dept Pre-shave which makes a very significant difference in the overall quality of my shaves (mostly meaning how close they are and how little work is needed to get there).

For the record my shaves are with a straight razor. I face lather.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Most of my soaps are good enough that I do not need a pre-shave. However, I have used Grooming Department pre-shave and it will even make a poor soap usable.

This is my experience too:
  • Great soap - no preshave
  • Good soap - use Grooming Dept's preshave
Out of curiosity, I have on a few occasions used a thin coating of Cremo, rubbed into damp skin well. I only used it after seeing a few other consistently positive reports. The Cremo seems to work well, but Grooming Dept preshave is still my goto.

I sometimes use a dab of Cella Crema Rapida as a preshave. I just rub it in. It's very, very slick, and using it allows more tolerance of the soap-water mix with some soaps. Getting the water-soap mix right in the first place works just as well. But it's kind of fun for a change. BTW, it's a very good cream on its own, just different from other soaps and creams.

my go to preshave is baubme preshave. also i use Abbate Y La Mantia with good results. im experimenting with ABC pre shave. also used cella preshave with alright results. definitely noticed a difference though specially on neck area.

Top Bottom