What's new

Pre shave bar soap

I know you can buy those pre shave bar soaps, but can you use regular hand soap bar as a preshave - would it have any effect...???

You can wash your face with any soap. However, my dermatologist has always recommended that I use a soap specifically meant for your face. She recommended Neutrogena Liquid Face soap and CeraVe facial cleanser.

You can wash your face with any soap. However, my dermatologist has always recommended that I use a soap specifically meant for your face. She recommended Neutrogena Liquid Face soap and CeraVe facial cleanser.
i dont mean face wash, i mean pre shave, like soap, oil, 3P etc... for ekstra protection

I did try the Ach Brito Glyce Pre Shave Soap a while back but it didn't do much for me.
I love this stuff! It will do nothing for top shelf soaps but where I find it shines is if you love the scent of a soap that is not as slick as they come. When paired with these they become as slick as any top tier soap. Scent is a huge part of the experience for me so on those occasions I find it most helpful.

Best, JM

Yes, you can use a glycerin bar soap. Whole Foods Market has a glycerin soap at under $2 per bar with varieties like Lavender, Aloe, Vitamin E, Unscented, etc. Neutrogena has a face cleaning bar.

You can use the bars by wetting the face and the soap, and rubbing the soap bar on the whiskers, then lathering with a brush. Leave on for a minute or so. Rinse off and leave a small amount behind which improves the slickness of your shaving soap when you lather on top of it.
neut-1.jpgneut-2.jpg

A good friend of mine has a thick beard and able to shave with just hot water. WHAT?! I know others who shave with any hotel bar soap. If it works for you, go for it!

+1 to a glycerin based soap. Makes a significant difference for softening my whiskers. Also keep in mind your facial skin is much more sensitive than the rest of your body. Face soap is specifically formulated for this and less likely to dry out the skin.

Yes, you can use a glycerin bar soap. Whole Foods Market has a glycerin soap at under $2 per bar with varieties like Lavender, Aloe, Vitamin E, Unscented, etc. Neutrogena has a face cleaning bar.

You can use the bars by wetting the face and the soap, and rubbing the soap bar on the whiskers, then lathering with a brush. Leave on for a minute or so. Rinse off and leave a small amount behind which improves the slickness of your shaving soap when you lather on top of it.
View attachment 1083615View attachment 1083616
i just want to rub it on my whiskers and then start lathering straight on top of it... its only glycerin bar soap that will work...??

A good friend of mine has a thick beard and able to shave with just hot water. WHAT?! I know others who shave with any hotel bar soap. If it works for you, go for it!

+1 to a glycerin based soap. Makes a significant difference for softening my whiskers. Also keep in mind your facial skin is much more sensitive than the rest of your body. Face soap is specifically formulated for this and less likely to dry out the skin.
i am not gonna shave with the bar soap - just wondering if it will work for ekstra protetion...

i just want to rub it on my whiskers and then start lathering straight on top of it... its only glycerin bar soap that will work...??
Glycerin bar soap is the best because it is mild and won't completely dry your face out. It has extra glycerin in it. You could lather on top of it right away, but it works better to rinse partially. The idea is to clean the face, and also soften the hair. When you rinse partially it leaves a slick layer of glycerin & water behind which improves your shave results. Try it both ways and you can see for yourself.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
i am not gonna shave with the bar soap - just wondering if it will work for ekstra protetion...
I've used "Dove" soap, the one that used to advertise as "1/4 moisturizing cream" as I recall. I've also shaved with just Dove, any ole soap or shampoo in the shower. But I've got pretty tough skin as a rule.

If you are looking for a cheap preshave treatment, try olive oil, then just lather over it.

I've also recently had great results shaving in the shower doing this: lather any ole hand soap, apply to face, then put canned foam over that.

I know, I'm weird!

I've used "Dove" soap, the one that used to advertise as "1/4 moisturizing cream" as I recall. I've also shaved with just Dove, any ole soap or shampoo in the shower. But I've got pretty tough skin as a rule.

If you are looking for a cheap preshave treatment, try olive oil, then just lather over it.

I've also recently had great results shaving in the shower doing this: lather any ole hand soap, apply to face, then put canned foam over that.

I know, I'm weird!
i have been using EVOO for a long time, its great.. i also shave with baby shampoo from time to time... its good stuff too..

Glycerin bar soap is the best because it is mild and won't completely dry your face out. It has extra glycerin in it. You could lather on top of it right away, but it works better to rinse partially. The idea is to clean the face, and also soften the hair. When you rinse partially it leaves a slick layer of glycerin & water behind which improves your shave results. Try it both ways and you can see for yourself.
pre shave is to add ekstra protection, yes...???

I tried the “cube” yesterday as a pre-shave. The jury is still out. Had a pretty uncomfortable, neck shave. I’ll have to give it another go, as I don’t know if any pre-shave could have offered me protection from the Rapira blade I was testing.

Typically, I shave on the same days that I wash my hair. Thus, I am using hair shampoo on my beard and rinsing that off just before I shave. So, I suppose that I am using hair shampoo as a preshave.

I know, I'm weird!
+1 on olive oil as a pre-shave.

Actually, any food grade oil will work as a pre-shave. Just rub it in real good. As an extra treat, drive it in with a hot wash cloth.

Come to think of it, I think I will go upstairs and take a hot shave right now!

Top Bottom