What's new

PRE or POST Shower Shave (and why)?

I shave...

• AFTER taking a shower

Votes: 42 65.6%
  • BEFORE taking a shower

Votes: 22 34.4%

• Total voters
Most of my adult life I've shaved IN the shower. Once I started shaving my head it made even more sense to stay in there since it's a lot harder to clean off all the lather remnants once your face and head are covered. I shower (lather, rinse) and turn off the water then lather the shaving soap, shave, and then rinse the whole mess down the shower drain. I would NOT recommend this for those using a straight razor. So really, I shave during the shower since the spigot is on/off(shave)/on/off (dry).

For the last 3 days, while I am in the shower I like to lather up the shave cream or soap in a bowl in advance.
Once I'm done showering I head to the sink and start shaving.

Before this I usually shave in the shower, I stopped because it felt like I was wasting water, I'm a slow shaver.

Most of my adult life I've shaved IN the shower. Once I started shaving my head it made even more sense to stay in there since it's a lot harder to clean off all the lather remnants once your face and head are covered. I shower (lather, rinse) and turn off the water then lather the shaving soap, shave, and then rinse the whole mess down the shower drain. I would NOT recommend this for those using a straight razor. So really, I shave during the shower since the spigot is on/off(shave)/on/off (dry).
Obviously your situation is unique, as you shave your head and I guess if I were, I'd do the same.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Just moved to shaving before shower because…

1. Bathroom mirror won’t wipe clean after room is steamed from shower.
2. When I shaved after my shower, I needed to shower off the subs that went everywhere and my pre-shave (Noxzema!) so I wouldn’t hop into bed smelling like a koala treating a chest cold.

I shave before showering. Cold water shave, hot shower. I struggled with folliculitis for a long time and did a lot of controlled experimentation. Never made much difference in shave results, but did seem to help a lot with the folliculitis.

There's also the scientific angle of cold water shaving. I'm an engineer, so I pay attention to science and try to prove/disprove with experimentation. Hot water swells the skin, making it more prone to irritation. But the swollen skin also protects the follicles a bit.

I usually shower then shave. The hot water shower softens my whiskers and makes the shave go smoother.

For the times I don't shower first, I always wet my face with hot water for a few minutes before beginning the shave.

Over the last many years I've shaved either in or after a shower, thinking it helped soften my beard. After reading some of the replies here I'm going to give pre-showering a try. In many respects that would be be more convenient, and if it gives a similar - or better - shave, that would be great. I'm also curious about the cold water thing, yet another idea to try out.

Ever since college in the 1960s, it has been shave BEFORE shower. Whether I used injector, or cart, or DE over those years, I always got a better shave using just a quick face wash with bar soap as prep. In my working years, it was shave at night, shower in morning. Now retired for 10 years, my regimen is shave during the day after a few G&T's, and shower later in the evening when I sober up.

Ever since college in the 1960s, it has been shave BEFORE shower. Whether I used injector, or cart, or DE over those years, I always got a better shave using just a quick face wash with bar soap as prep. In my working years, it was shave at night, shower in morning. Now retired for 10 years, my regimen is shave during the day after a few G&T's, and shower later in the evening when I sober up.
So you shave drunk, THEN shower when you sober up??? 😂😂😂🚿🚿🚿

I would love to be able to shave before my shower. It makes sense to do so but I absolutely need that 10 minutes in the hot shower if I have any hope for a good irritation free shave.

So you shave drunk, THEN shower when you sober up??? 😂😂😂🚿🚿🚿

Most days, yeah. But being retired I now only shave every 3-4 days. It works for me. After 55+ years of shaving, once you find a combo that works, a certain razor, a few blades, certain soaps and brushes, it becomes a no-brainer.

I usually shower then shave. The hot water shower softens my whiskers and makes the shave go smoother.

For the times I don't shower first, I always wet my face with hot water for a few minutes before beginning the shave.
I also do a lengthy splash with hot water.
No need then for a hot towel or pre shave product.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Shaving and showering are mutually exclusive for me. Neither has an impact on the other. If they’re close together it’s a fluke.

Top Bottom