What's new

pre de provence shave soaps any good?

this soap doesn't seem to be talked about much on here. for those that have tried this soap, do you like it? how does it lather? I suspect it lasts longer than a triple milled soap because it is quad milled? also, what is the better scent, no 63 or bergamont and thyme? please give me your thoughts on this hard shave puck. thanks

I like the no 63. I used to use that soap very frequently and it's always produced a great lather. The puck will definitely last a very long time.
yeah_that.gif

Very good soaps. Great scents and performance. Puck is quad milled and very hard initially. Use way more water than you think. And then more water.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I have both soaps and both balms. Both soaps’ lather is pool-skirt-slippery, and last longer than a Wonka Gobstopper. The No. 63 scent is among my favorites. Bergamot & Thyme, not so much.

Interestingly, I have come to prefer the Bergamot & Thyme balm. I find it more gentle, whereas the No. 63 balm has a slight chemical smell and a wee sting - completely different than it’s soap.

BA980C8B-70AC-4EC5-BA02-8CD65E51C8CB.jpeg

All vegan but great lather from both and yes, they do last forever. Plus, they're cheap. But I couldn't endure the scents. Regular PdP smells exactly like herbal essence shampoo and No. 63 famously has the scent of a dirty ashtray. But scents are a very individual thing. (Notice how I didn't say YMMV.) Lots of people love the scent, especially of No. 63.

I have both soaps and both balms. Both soaps’ lather is pool-skirt-slippery, and last longer than a Wonka Gobstopper. The No. 63 scent is among my favorites. Bergamot & Thyme, not so much.

Interestingly, I have come to prefer the Bergamot & Thyme balm. I find it more gentle, whereas the No. 63 balm has a slight chemical smell and a wee sting - completely different than it’s soap.

View attachment 1418745
Forget Willy Wonka and the comedic genius known as Gene Wilder. Your avi is AWESOME. Christy Mathewson in a Reds uniform. Alas, I love everything about baseball except the games.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Forget Willy Wonka and the comedic genius known as Gene Wilder. Your avi is AWESOME. Christy Mathewson in a Reds uniform. Alas, I love everything about baseball except the games.
You made my day! I just love this picture of Mathewson, with a big smile and freshly shaven face. I imagine he used a modern Gillette razor just before heading out to Crosley Field. If alive today, I'm certain Christy would be among the gentlemen of Badger & Blade.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
After a long time today I reopened my tin of PdP N°63 shave soap. I had almost forgotten how magnificent the scent alone is... :001_wub: I put the puck in action and got a SUPERB shave with it. This is a soap that loves heavy loading combined with a modest quantity of water IMHO. The resulting lather was thick, fragrant, with excellent slickness and great post shave feel. OUTSTANDING.

Top Bottom