What's new

Pre de Provence No. 63

I love 63. Great soap. I used the body wash too. It’s a product of France so I’m not understanding how it’s not available in Europe unless I’ve read these posts wrong.
PdP is made in France for sale in North America by a company in Seattle, Washington (European Soaps, LLC). That company does not market the soap in Europe, simple as that. They contract out the soap making to a French company.

This very similar soap is available from a French company, La Maison du Savon de Marseille. It looks basically the same as PdP, same tin, but different graphics, different name, similar but not identical scent.

I just pulled the trigger and bought it, quickly adding to a new collection of soaps and creams. I’ve heard the soap is ‘hard’. For a newbie, please describe how your ‘prep’? Wet it with warm water to ‘bloom’ it beforehand? Advise much appreciated!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
PdP is made in France for sale in North America by a company in Seattle, Washington (European Soaps, LLC). That company does not market the soap in Europe, simple as that. They contract out the soap making to a French company.

This very similar soap is available from a French company, La Maison du Savon de Marseille. It looks basically the same as PdP, same tin, but different graphics, different name, similar but not identical scent.
Only something global corporations could dream up. Thanks for the clarification.
someone posted a review on another sitewith a picture of the shampoo label that says frequent use may cause urinary tract infection. 🤯😔

I just pulled the trigger and bought it, quickly adding to a new collection of soaps and creams. I’ve heard the soap is ‘hard’. For a newbie, please describe how your ‘prep’? Wet it with warm water to ‘bloom’ it beforehand? Advise much appreciated!
The first suggestion would be take the soap puck out of the original container so you have some room to load up your brush. You can put the soap in a larger container, similar to this:

petg-jar-soap-1.png

You can put a bit of warm water on top of the soap, I would only suggest that when the soap is brand new or if it has not been used in a long time. You don't have to do it.

The soap is hard, therefore to get enough soap loaded, you may need to load for a longer amount of time than with softer soaps. A brush with a lot of backbone, such as a firm boar brush, will help. A synthetic brush is fine, too, as long as it has some backbone to it.

You can hold the soap sideways, or even upside down over top of the brush. Take a damp brush, rub lightly on the surface of soap until the lower part of the bristles is charged with a soap paste. Wet the face, apply the soap paste evenly to the beard area. Now, gradually add a small amount of water to the brush and build the lather on the face. It may take two or three additions of water. You are looking for a wet lather that has a bit of sheen to it. Lather that is not runny enough to move on your face, but almost. You are now ready to shave.

The first suggestion would be take the soap puck out of the original container so you have some room to load up your brush. You can put the soap in a larger container, similar to this:

View attachment 1229868
You can put a bit of warm water on top of the soap, I would only suggest that when the soap is brand new or if it has not been used in a long time. You don't have to do it.

The soap is hard, therefore to get enough soap loaded, you may need to load for a longer amount of time than with softer soaps. A brush with a lot of backbone, such as a firm boar brush, will help. A synthetic brush is fine, too, as long as it has some backbone to it.

You can hold the soap sideways, or even upside down over top of the brush. Take a damp brush, rub lightly on the surface of soap until the lower part of the bristles is charged with a soap paste. Wet the face, apply the soap paste evenly to the beard area. Now, gradually add a small amount of water to the brush and build the lather on the face. It may take two or three additions of water. You are looking for a wet lather that has a bit of sheen to it. Lather that is not runny enough to move on your face, but almost. You are now ready to shave.
I put it in a large coffee mug and added hot water to the top the first time I used it. When I went to get the puck out of the mug I had a heck of a time. I put it back in the tin and have been lathering in the tin ever since. I only needed to bloom it the first time. It isn't too messy lathering from the tin. I use it at least once a week so it stays softer than when it was new.

PdP is the first soap I have ever used that I bought a second one while I still have a years worth of the first one, it is also the only soap that I have the Balm and the EDT. Just could not pass up buying another tin for $10.00
If I thought that they were going to stop making it I would buy as much as I could afford.

Did you bloom it in the tin? How did you prep the soap?
I just use a damp brush and swirl on the soap in the tin and then face lather. I do bloom it for a couple of minutes usually.

I treat it like any other soap, but it does require more work and patience as it is rock hard.

Top Bottom