What's new

Pre de Provence No. 63

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
What are your top 3?
Tabac, PdP 63, Proraso white.

Others I also like are, Proraso Red and green, TOBS, Arko, Williams Mug, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Razorock P.160, and a few others that I can't think of right now. Oh yeah, and CO Bigelow in the green tube, which I think is made by proraso.

I was in the fence about trying this shaving soap and after shave balm but decided to pull the trigger on it tonight. I do have quite a few soaps and bought a few razorock soaps when they had their clearance moving sale. What’s one more to add to the pile.
PdP is the longest-lasting soap I've tried. I figure it would be possible to get over 250 shaves per tin. If you have PdP in rotation with other soaps, it could take several years to finish one.

PdP is the longest-lasting soap I've tried. I figure it would be possible to get over 250 shaves per tin. If you have PdP in rotation with other soaps, it could take several years to finish one.

+1! Especially if you have a brick of Cella!! :punk: :punk:

Where can you buy this soap in Europe?
I don't think it is sold there under that name. A very similar soap is sold as La Maison du Savon de Marseille. It's a very long-lasting hard milled soap that works extremely well.

La Maison du Savon de Marseille,​
145 avenue Louis Montagnat,​
ZAC Chalençon 2, 84270​
Vedène en Provence (FRANCE)​

1614520092030.png

I am with @SharpieB . PDP No 63 is my favorite scent of all of my soaps and as a bonus my wife really likes it too. I would say the soap lathers similarly to my DRH soap. I do have a couple of soaps that have a better lather quality but it is excellent. A well rounded soap. I find the balm works extremely well, better than Nivea balm. The EDT is long lasting and I often use it when I shave with some of my milder smelling soaps. It will always be in my rotation.

Here is another thread with some more info on the La Maison du Savon de Marseille shaving soap. Looks like they might have a store in Romania.

The scent close to PdP #63 is called Monsieur. They have some other scents, also, like one called Rebel.

Thank you. I'm on Amazon.de and I can't find Pre de Provence. Do you consider it over Tobacco or La Toja stick?

Thank you. I'm on Amazon.de and I can't find Pre de Provence. Do you consider it over Tobacco or La Toja stick?
Pre de Provence is the USA name. It seems they sell under other names in Europe. Look for La Maison du Savon de Marseille brand. They may have an online shop in Romania.

Prefer the scent of this over La Toja or Tabac. Performance is good, a bit below Tabac, but still very good.

Thanks. I found the La Maison du Savon store in Marseille in Romania, but they don't have the soap in stock yet. Regarding the smell, I also like Tabac, I am looking for quality over Tobacco. (In Romania, Tabac and La Toja are cheaper than PDP no 63 or Stirling)

Oh man, do not hesitate. I always get compliments from ladies present when I use 63, or when I pop out the hand cream throughout the day. And get the balm.

I would definitely choose 63 over Tabac and La Toja. As much as I love the scent of Tabac, wasn’t a huge fan of Toja, 63‘s scent has woodier and spicier notes that just make it more universally enjoyable. My puck lasted about 6 years and was probably the second shave soap I ever bought, so there may be some nostalgia-bias there too... but still, one of my favorites. Love it in the colder half of the year, bergamot&thyme for the warmer months (don’t like the new packaging though) - but nice very different scents there.

I guess I should stress, my vote for 63 over Tabac is mostly scent based - I wouldn’t be able to tell you with total confidence which gave me a more comfortable shave, but i remember 63 giving me a better post shave feel w/ the balm whereas the Tabac as balm gives me a wee bit irritation.

I do have MdC Original to compare it too and (kicking myself i didn’t buy the Agrumes, or Rose) I would say performance-wise MdC wins the round on a technicality, scent-wise PdP 63 takes the round, price-wise it’s KO, 63 wins.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I love 63. Great soap. I used the body wash too. It’s a product of France so I’m not understanding how it’s not available in Europe unless I’ve read these posts wrong.

Last edited:
Yes, you understood correctly, this soap is produced in France, but I can't find it in Europe. I understand that it would be under a different name in Europe, "La Maison du Savon de Marseille", with another presentation (I prefer the American version), but this one is not in stock either, and I'm not sure it's 100% PDP no .63

Top Bottom