What's new

Pre De Provence 63?

I snagged the 63 soap for $6.41 from Amazon. I had to sign up for the "subscribe and shave", which gave me 40% off the first delivery. After it was delivered, I cancelled everything else. I tried to cancel right away, but since it hadn't been fulfilled yet it was going to remove the 40% discount.

PdP 63 is great shave soap.
Lather is good but IMHO the cedar scent is it's strong point.
Pair it with a nice cedar a/s or cologne.

View attachment 1152591
That EdT, Eau des Baux, is what I use most of the time with it as well though my aftershave choice is usually Alt Innsbruck or Sandal Absolut. But I slightly prefer the in shave and post shave performance of the original. Scent too as it's more singular.

Thank you so much for all of the great responses. Most of you gents have given positive feedback on it. I’m going to get a puck of it. I want to see how long it will last me.....

I couldn't seem to get the lather right for some reason, but I'm sure I'm in the minority on that. I ended up selling mine. The smell was fantastic, and the thing is harder than a brick. It should last you a loooong time. Good luck!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
042_20.jpg
:001_wub:

When I first started wet shaving, Pdp 63 was one of my first soap acquisitions. Pdp 63 is a triple milled, hard soap. Very reasonable price. At first I liked it, nice clean scent, decent lather. I purchased it 2 years ago and still have alot left over. However, since that purchase, I experienced other soaps, Stirling, Haslinger, etc.. and it has fallen to seldom used. No comparison in performance to other soaps that I now use.

The very first soap or cream I bought when I began wet shaving was the original PdP shave soap and to this day I consider among the best and I've had or tried nearly everything. It shaves just as well, for me, as MdC with much better post shave feel. The second soap I tried was the wonderfully fragrant Lightfoots Pine. Among the worst ever.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I want to see how long it will last me.....

A long damn time is the answer to that question lol.

Mine will be out of code next month but it still smells the same and shaves the same. Its barely 1/2 gone and I've been using it in rotation for around two years.

IMG_3020.JPG

Its a very hard quad milled soap. Using my Omega boar, I loaded for 100 swirls around the tin and didnt load enough so I went back for another 100 swirls. Using my Maggard Plissoft type synthetic, I load for 30-50 swirls.

The lather from it is lighter, less dense than many soaps, but very slick. It has a translucent sort of pearlescent quality to it.

The scent to me is light Sandalwood, slightly citrus, slightly flowery. Soft of like a Sandalwood blossom. Its quite present but not heavy or tiring. It lingers well, to my nose anyway. I really enjoy it.

Being such a hard and difficult to load soap, dont let it dry after shaving. I rinse the outside of my tub off and put the lid back on. The remaining water on the soap will be absorbed into it and as you use it, it slowly softens and becomes easier to load.

No other soaps I've used have kicked it off my shelf and I dont think any soaps would. Its a great soap.

I actually had the opposite result. While high-quality soaps can lather to the texture of Greek yogurt, this stuff got to the texture of packing foam. Never had shaving cream with that springy of a texture before; impressive! Reminds me of Fine Accoutrements, but even more thirsty and even sturdier foam.

63 is my favorite soap out of the 30+ I own. Just great stuff. Yes, it’s hard as a rock but if you take your time the lather is excellent. The AS balm is great as well.

Bergamot and Thyme is also excellent but I much prefer the scent of No. 63.

Its a very hard quad milled soap. Using my Omega boar, I loaded for 100 swirls around the tin and didnt load enough so I went back for another 100 swirls. Using my Maggard Plissoft type synthetic, I load for 30-50 swirls.

The lather from it is lighter, less dense than many soaps, but very slick. It has a translucent sort of pearlescent quality to it.
No other soaps I've used have kicked it off my shelf and I dont think any soaps would. Its a great soap.

I think you need to use a wetter brush. Try "The Marco Method" or "The Upside-Down Lather Trick." I use a modified Marco Method: Soak your Omega boar, give it one shake (not too hard), and start loading. Keep loading until the lather suits you.

Good luck, my friend!

Top Bottom