What's new

Pre de Provence 63. First Impressions.

Arrived today in the mail: a brand new Semogue 2000 (I am an unabashed Boar lover) and a tin of PdP 63.

There seems to be little of this soap among these threads, some mentions of the scent and latherability. one gent even compared the original's performance to surpassing MdC. I thought the original was excellent. I can't personally comment on the comparison there...

Anyway, here are the ingredients:
Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water) Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernal Acid, Palm Acid, Sodium Chloride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Extract, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium (Rosemarty) Leaf Extract, Healianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Limonene, Coumann, Linalool, Benzyl

In bold are some of the standouts within the ingredient list, the coffee and ginseng in particular struck my attention.

The Scent? Terrific, but we all know how subjective this subject is. I'll say this much: it is not very sharp, acute—there is so much shea butter and other fatty acids in this quad-milled soap, so much richness the fragrance is muted somewhat. La Toja, for example, is the exact opposite. That soap, LT, in my opinion, is the Tabac of Spain but smells like a good aftershave. Wonderful performer, great scent, but it's a bit overscented. The scent profile for PdP 63 is along the lines of Hanna Mori EdT—chocolate, coffee, a touch of vanilla, and, in this case, a hint of musk. Some notes of smokey, but my nose cannot tell the difference between cedar wood or a muted tobacco. In any case, I highly recommend paring this soap with the Hanna Mori scent. They compliment each other very, very well. It's kind of scary.

The Lathering? Excellent.

$Semogue 2000.jpg

I had no problem whipping up a terrific yogurt-y lather with several methods. I prefer a well soaked, dripping boar brush. I never shake. The lather was terrific. A second method, I did what most usually do: a little shake—same results. Finally, even a drier brush responded well to driblets of water, but I recommend the instructions found on the back of the tin: begin with a wet brush.

The Packaging? Wonderful. Considering the soap is only 16USD and comes in a tin (one you can save for later) this soap is class class class. The best part is the stickers on the tin itself: you'll recall in the original PdP packaging how easily those stickers fall off with water. You had to keep the screw top lid far away from the sink and load the brush carefully so suds didn't fall along the curve to the bottom of the tin to reach the sticker. Not the case here—there seems to be a finish to the sticker, a waterproof one, and the right glue to keep it perfectly in place. I thought this was a nice improvement on the original, not that it matters like crazy.

I'm excited to report how well I'm sure it will shave soon. More to follow.

Oh, and that Semogue 2000 performed beautifully out of the box. I recommend both products HIGHLY.

Thanks for the detailed write up. I haven't seen a lot written about this one yet, but it sounds very interesting. It seems like it might be an autumn/winter thing for me, but I'm just kind of crazy that way. I bet all the Shea Butter will be nice in the cold dry months.

I asked because I pulled my Pre de Provence out of the drawer this morning because I just felt like that scent, and, wow, did I ever have a nice shave! Followed by a bit of Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave and Rive Gauche edt, it was all very nice. The new Pre de Provence may get on my list.

I forgot to mention the shave!

Very, very good.

I actually picked up the balm—I am more in love with the scent than the soap. It makes more sense, to me, as an aftershave than a shaving soap. Wonderful performer.

For the ultimate one-two: I Coloniali Mango followed by Pre De Provence 63 balm. Now THAT's a match for scents. If anyone here has Creed Aventus—this might be the scent lineup and performance you've been waiting for!

I just tried this soap yesterday and I loved it. Gave an excellent, smooth shave. I did use it in conjunction with Art of Shaving lavender pre-shave oil, so that helped too. I love how it lathers, yogurty is a great way to describe it. As noted here and elsewhere is the amazing scent of this stuff. So addictive. The after shave balm is great as well, very calming and a long lasting scent. If you prefer a cream to a soap (as I do while travelling), it is excellent as well. Hope you enjoy your shave. :)

I am struggling with the decision of whether to go with the original scent PdP or this PdP 63. Definitely like the sound of the chocolate, coffee, and vanilla of the PdP 63.

can anyone describe how the original PdP scent smells?

Tim

I am struggling with the decision of whether to go with the original scent PdP or this PdP 63. Definitely like the sound of the chocolate, coffee, and vanilla of the PdP 63.

can anyone describe how the original PdP scent smells?

Tim

To my nose it has a fresh green sage like scent.

Assuming this is still on the shelves when I finish up my regular PdP (probably a couple years out unless I 3017 it), I will definitely check this out.

I find the original PdP to be similar in scent to the L'Occitane Cade shaving soap.

Ah, this helps me make the decision more easily. I already have L'Occitane Cade shaving soap and while I absolutely love it, I don't need another soap in the rotation that is similar.

I am going to go ahead and give the PdP 63 a try.

Tim

I think the scents of the original PdP and Cade are quite different. So, as usual, YMMV.

Ha, ha, after responding to the post just before yours and now reading yours, you are most certainly correct that YMMV. However, I still am going to give the PdP 63 a try first. And perhaps, some time in the future I will give the original PdP a try as well.

Tim

Top Bottom