What's new

Praise for Cella "1897" Eau de Lavande cologne

This morning I applied Cella "1897" Eau de Lavande before I left for work. I love that subtle and clean lavender scent. And now, in the late afternoon, I can still sense it. Not obtrusive in any way, but a very clean and fresh lavender aroma. Highly recommended!

(Cella "1897" colognes are produced by the Italian Nicky Chini company, btw ... yes, the same as the shaving soap :wink2: )

I just today got my bottle of the other Cella cologne: Colonia Classica. I am a huge fan of that old classic cologne scent, 4711, Jean Marie Farina, etc., and the Cella is outstanding. It's a nasty oppressive glaring overcast hot and very humid day today, more like Manila than Santa Monica; the Cella cologne is cooling and so refreshing.

I just today got my bottle of the other Cella cologne: Colonia Classica. I am a huge fan of that old classic cologne scent, 4711, Jean Marie Farina, etc., and the Cella is outstanding. It's a nasty oppressive glaring overcast hot and very humid day today, more like Manila than Santa Monica; the Cella cologne is cooling and so refreshing.

Agreed.
It's a good inexpensive splash that smells great, doesn't fill a room, and as you say, works a treat on very hot days.
Under a linen shirt? Smashing!

How do you get this in the U.S.? Looked at the internet and I see overseas sources that can't ship here. Any suggestions? Thanks!
(Italian Barber is out of stock.)

Last edited:
How do you get this in the U.S.? Looked at the internet and I see overseas sources that can't ship here. Any suggestions? Thanks!
(Italian Barber is out of stock.)

I would suggest asking Italian Barber when they get it in stock again, but I actually don't know. I'm in Europe. You might want to try your luck on Ebay or Amazon.

Last edited:
I would suggest asking Italian Barber when they get it in stock again, but I actually don't know. I'm in Europe. You might want to try your luck on Ebay or Amazon.
Thanks Eeyore, but not having any luck. Joe at Italian Barber says he may not be restocking because of problems with the bottle (which bodes ill), and there is none on Amazon nor Ebay. May have to select something else; have been looking at SCS's lavender cologne.

This is thee stuff to own. It is the clean lavender scent of yore and very reminiscent of Yardley, but better. I've heard about the concerns with shipping and the bottle and they seem legit. It's shame we can't get this in the US now.

Chris

I learned that the Nicky Chini company unfortunately is not going to change the bottle design :-(

Just what is the problem with the bottle? Joe, and now you have mentioned it. Does it leak or something?

Two problems actually: the bottle cap is flimsy, and it would be great if the bottle had a plastic insert in the top, or even better, a spray top.

This weekend I tried some Yardley Lavender eau de toilette (admittedly a women's scent), and I was disappointed. The Yardley does not have that clear and crisp lavender scent of the Cella 1897 at all. It's more a flowery scent with a strong lavender note.

Reviving an older thread to ask a question of Cella cologne users. Do you use either of these on your face as an aftershave or only as a body splash? Thanks!

Reviving an older thread to ask a question of Cella cologne users. Do you use either of these on your face as an aftershave or only as a body splash? Thanks!

Yesterday I finished off my bottle of Colonia Classica. I used it exclusively as an aftershave. It worked, but I wouldn't buy anymore any cologne to use as AS. First, a cologne is meant to be worn for scent. As an After-Shave, it burns much more. A cologne doesn't have any moisturizing properties - so no glycerin, hydrogenated castor oil or propylene glycol. No beneficial extracts either - aloe vera and such.

So just burn and fragrance. To be frank, I ended almost hating the smell. To me it smells like Pinaud Citrus Musk, but more potent, more punch-in-your-face, more pungent and harsh and brutal. After application, the burn is similar to Cat o'nine tails.

For some of you, this may sound very appealing. However, 250 ml (8.45 fl.oz) is way to much. You'll end hating this stuff, no matter how appealing the scent is initially. I'm glad I finished my bottle yesterday.

Top Bottom