What's new

Practice Turkey Dinner ?

I believe the Terms of Service require a recipe. :)
Of course :) This is for a refrigerated version, I'm sure it could be canned at the end but I've never bothered

I've also made it with Grand Marnier but kept the same amount of sugar and I found it too sweet. Would try it again but this time probably 1/2 or 2/3 the sugar.

• 1 bag fresh cranberries (340g/12oz)
  • 2 large or 3 medium oranges (Seville, blood, cara cara, navel will all work)
  • 1 lemon
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon powdered pectin
  • 4 cups of sugar (adjust up or down for personal taste)
  • 1 cup of water AND 1/2 cup bourbon (if omitting bourbon use 1 1/2 cups water)
  • Quarter oranges & lemons, remove seeds
  • Remove fruit from skin, cut fruit into 1/2” pieces, place into 3-quart saucepan
  • Cut skin into 1/16” strips & then into lengths no longer than 1”, add to saucepan
  • Add water, baking soda, salt & pectin
  • Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & let simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom
  • Add cranberries, sugar & bourbon. Simmer for 10 minutes (or until there’s no whole fruit left), stir occasionally.
  • Let cool and spoon off any foam that develops.
  • Give a good stir then ladle into clean glass jars. Refrigerate.
Enjoy :)

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Of course :) This is for a refrigerated version, I'm sure it could be canned at the end but I've never bothered

I've also made it with Grand Marnier but kept the same amount of sugar and I found it too sweet. Would try it again but this time probably 1/2 or 2/3 the sugar.

• 1 bag fresh cranberries (340g/12oz)
  • 2 large or 3 medium oranges (Seville, blood, cara cara, navel will all work)
  • 1 lemon
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon powdered pectin
  • 4 cups of sugar (adjust up or down for personal taste)
  • 1 cup of water AND 1/2 cup bourbon (if omitting bourbon use 1 1/2 cups water)
  • Quarter oranges & lemons, remove seeds
  • Remove fruit from skin, cut fruit into 1/2” pieces, place into 3-quart saucepan
  • Cut skin into 1/16” strips & then into lengths no longer than 1”, add to saucepan
  • Add water, baking soda, salt & pectin
  • Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & let simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom
  • Add cranberries, sugar & bourbon. Simmer for 10 minutes (or until there’s no whole fruit left), stir occasionally.
  • Let cool and spoon off any foam that develops.
  • Give a good stir then ladle into clean glass jars. Refrigerate.
Enjoy :)
Thanks

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
i was a long supporter of a turkey cooked with edible stuffing ... and the stuffing was one of the highlights of the dinner. Then one year SWMBO broke with decades of tradition and cooked a turkey dinner that had a stuffing focused on onions and lemons ... one didn't eat the stuffing, it was instead intended to flavour and moisten the bird. Wow, that was great! I am a convert to that method now.

Dunno what exact recipe SWMBO uses, but this is similar: Perfect Roast Turkey

First of all, consider making the stuffing separately from the turkey (i.e., dressing).

Both your turkey and your dressing will come out better.

My Mum's turkey dinners ... and my grandmother's, and my aunt's ... all involved a mix of "in-bird stuffing" and "oven stuffing", the latter being a distant second to the first. Strict portioning regulations were in place to ensure that the hungrier and faster youth (ie me) didn't get too much of the in-bird stuffing.

Of course, nowadays I am happy to sacrifice the in-bird stuffing to the recipe above, and just make do with "oven stuffing".

We are still waiting for the Vegan thing to end

"all the more bacon for me ... *urp*"

Don't make a practice turkey but do cook one a few times a year just because

Indeed.

Just cook a turkey dinner every once in a while. Not because you "have to" but because you want to. (And if you find that you don't "want to", then why should you "have to" on special occasions? Do a prime rib roast or leg of lamb or ... whatever you really like ... instead of the obligatory "well I guess we have to" meal. But I like a turkey dinner, so I look forward to it.)

Canned cranberry is heresy

Indeed.

Top Bottom