What's new

Practice Turkey Dinner ?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Good Day to You B&B'ers ,
Over the years We always went to My Big Sisters (notice how I didn't say Older :) )
and got together with My Younger Sisters Family and had a big Family Thanksgiving
with all the trimmings ,you know pumpkin pie and the whole deal. football games
on the TV and falling asleep in the recliner after dinner.
Well over the last few years things have changed a bit and The Big event is now down
to just My wife and I and our two son's and the Grandsons and My Big Sister of course My Daughter and her Family are Vegans and will probably show up for desert .
This year I am making the Turkey and The Stuffing . I have only done this a few times and kinda forget how to make the stuffing , I know everything that goes in it just the amounts of
the ingredients ?????????? Mostly the liquids mixing the stock with the bread . I know to much and it turns out like wet bread with sausage mixed in and to dry and you get toast with sausage . Trying to make a 9 serving batch.
And another thing do you mix a egg in with the bread ?
Any help Please . Does anybody else have a practice Dinner ?
DSC_0707.JPG

No practice dinner here. However, when my daughter went through a vegan stage, we (meaning my wife) made her a tofu turkey, using vegetable stock with the bread to make stuffing. My daughter really enjoyed it and it was far less expensive than the pre-made "tofurkey" ones in the store.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
First of all, consider making the stuffing separately from the turkey (i.e., dressing). It only takes about a half hour, and you can bake it alongside your turkey or after or overlap the times. Both your turkey and your dressing will come out better. When you go buy your turkey, pick up an extra turkey neck for stock to add to your dressing, or use the storebought chicken stock if you don't want to mess with it.

Unless you have a crystal ball or The Force is very strong in your family, I wouldn't even think of adding all the liquid to stuffing at once. Add plenty at first, mix it in, and let it sit for a minute or two. Then, add little more at a time until it's right, letting it sit for a minute or so after each addition to see how it's absorbed. For a typical 9x13 baking pan's worth of dressing, you might need anywhere from around 2 to 4 cups of liquid. The amount depends a great deal on the bread that you use and whatever else might be in your recipe. You want

I like adding an egg to the dressing because I like that consistency. That's what I grew up with and crave. It's all but necessary with a cornbread dressing (also what I prefer)--less so with a wheat bread dressing. Some folks also just like a looser dressing and leave out the egg. It's really a matter of personal taste (again, I like the egg).

I also like a simple dressing: enough roughly crumbled cornbread to just about fill the baking dish after liquid is added, stock, salt & pepper, some lovely herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme), and that egg we've talked about. If you use a wheat bread, be gentle with your mixing, or you'll wind up with a gummy, dense mess. You don't have to be as careful with cornbread. If you buy stock, be judicious with adding salt, since the storebought stuff has a good amount already in it (even the low sodium stock).

Not a big crock pot fan, but it does turn out really well in a crock pot. I believe we just follow the recipe on the back of the bag.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
First of all, consider making the stuffing separately from the turkey (i.e., dressing). It only takes about a half hour, and you can bake it alongside your turkey or after or overlap the times. Both your turkey and your dressing will come out better. When you go buy your turkey, pick up an extra turkey neck for stock to add to your dressing, or use the storebought chicken stock if you don't want to mess with it.

Unless you have a crystal ball or The Force is very strong in your family, I wouldn't even think of adding all the liquid to stuffing at once. Add plenty at first, mix it in, and let it sit for a minute or two. Then, add little more at a time until it's right, letting it sit for a minute or so after each addition to see how it's absorbed. For a typical 9x13 baking pan's worth of dressing, you might need anywhere from around 2 to 4 cups of liquid. The amount depends a great deal on the bread that you use and whatever else might be in your recipe. You want

I like adding an egg to the dressing because I like that consistency. That's what I grew up with and crave. It's all but necessary with a cornbread dressing (also what I prefer)--less so with a wheat bread dressing. Some folks also just like a looser dressing and leave out the egg. It's really a matter of personal taste (again, I like the egg).

I also like a simple dressing: enough roughly crumbled cornbread to just about fill the baking dish after liquid is added, stock, salt & pepper, some lovely herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme), and that egg we've talked about. If you use a wheat bread, be gentle with your mixing, or you'll wind up with a gummy, dense mess. You don't have to be as careful with cornbread. If you buy stock, be judicious with adding salt, since the storebought stuff has a good amount already in it (even the low sodium stock).

Your advice is along the lines of what I remember ,Dressing is what you call it when it is out of the bird :) now I know . I put breakfast sausage in it because that is what My Mom used to do .

Graydog

Biblical Innards
No practice dinner here. However, when my daughter went through a vegan stage, we (meaning my wife) made her a tofu turkey, using vegetable stock with the bread to make stuffing. My daughter really enjoyed it and it was far less expensive than the pre-made "tofurkey" ones in the store.

Chris We are still waiting for the Vegan thing to end ,It has been about 15 years :)

Not a big crock pot fan, but it does turn out really well in a crock pot. I believe we just follow the recipe on the back of the bag.

Thanks , Crock pots are good for somethings .
I used to make Chilli in ours

Chris We are still waiting for the Vegan thing to end ,It has been about 15 years :)

I am not judging. I do know, from my daughter's experience, it is not an easy thing to do while still getting all the nutrients one needs.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I am not judging. I do know, from my daughter's experience, it is not an easy thing to do while still getting all the nutrients one needs.

I know We feel the same way , It is what she wants and the babys are doing fine so
no worries there .

Don't make a practice turkey but do cook one a few times a year just because I like it and it makes for a relatively easy & cost-effective way to feed a lot of people.

The recipe I always use…

Turkey with Gravy (1 x 14 to 16 pound frozen young turkey)
Prep Time: 20 min
Inactive Prep Time: 7 hrs
Cook Time: 3 hrs

Brine:
1 x cup kosher salt
1/2 x cup light brown sugar
1 x gallon vegetable stock
1 x gallon iced water
1 x tablespoon black peppercorns
1 x lemon
1/2 x teaspoon chopped candied ginger (optional)

2 to 3 days before roasting:
• Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at 3 degrees C or 38 degrees F
• Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, lemon and candied ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil; remove brine from heat, cool to room temp & refrigerate.
• 12 to 16 hours before you start to cook the bird combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon container. Submerge the turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If needed weigh the bird down to keep it fully submerged, cover and refrigerate 12 to 16 hours.

Roasting:
1 x lemon, halved
2 x yellow onions, halved
3 x large carrots, coarsely chopped
3 x celery stalks, coarsely chopped
6 x garlic cloves, crushed & left whole
6 x tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter softened
2 x tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped or 1/2 tablespoon dried herb de provence
8 x tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter melted
1 x teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 x teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 x teaspoon paprika
4 x cups water
4 x sprigs rosemary (optional)
6 x sage leaves (optional)

• 3 hours before you want to eat preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
• Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water and discard the brine.
• Place the bird on roasting rack inside a roasting pan (don’t use a disposable pan) and pat dry.
• Add onions, carrots, celery & garlic around perimeter of the bird. If you’re not stuffing the bird place 1/4 of the vegetables inside cavity.
• Rub the bird all over with the halved lemons. If you’re not stuffing the bird place squeezed lemons inside cavity.
• Take softened butter, add parsley and work equally under the breast skin at top & bottom openings.
• Tuck the wings under the bird, take melted butter add pepper, salt & paprika and brush all over the bird.
• Roast uncovered the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 F for 30 minutes.
• Reduce oven temperature to 350 F, cover with lid and continue to roast till bird as an internal temp of 161 F (measure at thickest part of breast). Remove lid for last 30 minutes to brown skin. Baste throughout with pan juices throughout roasting process.
• A 14-16 pound turkey takes ~2.5 hours.
• Remove from oven, place on/in something that will capture any lost juices (pan lid works well). Loosely tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.

Gravy:
1 x shallot, minced
1 x bay leaf
3 x tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 x tablespoons unsalted butter
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

• Discard vegetables from pan
• Skim off fat
• Place roasting pan on medium high stove burner and bring to a simmer
• Scrape off all brown bits from bottom of pan
• Return any lost juices from the resting turkey
• Slowly whisk in flour and continue to whisk for 3 minutes
• Reduce heat and whisk in butter
• Check for taste and add salt/pepper if needed
• Strain through medium sieve & keep warm till served

Dressing (outside bird):
2 x loaves good white bread
1 x tablespoon vegetable oil
2 x leaks, diced
2 x large carrots, diced
2 x celery stalks, diced
1 x teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 x teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 x garlic cloves, minced
1/2 x stick unsalted butter
1 x egg, lightly beat
1 1/2 x cup chicken stock (not broth)
4 x turkey wings

• Slice bread into 3/4” cubes and let dry overnight in a covered bowl
• In a large saute pan on medium high cook the leaks, carrots and celery in the oil till softened
• Add the spices & garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes
• Remove from heat
• Add butter and let it melt with residual heat
• When at room temperature add the egg & stock
• Thoroughly mix with the cubed bread (works better to do it in batches)
• Preheat oven to 350 F, middle rack
• Firmly (it should be tight but don’t crush the bread) pack the mixture into buttered casserole dish(s). Ideal depth is 2 1/2". Too shallow it will dry out, too deep and the center will be soggy.
• Place the wings on-top the bread mix
• Bake uncovered for 30 minutes
• Remove the wings and bake for an additional 10 minutes

15 minutes per pound at 350 is a good rule of thumb. I too prefer to start at a higher temp so as to "seal" the juices early on. This cuts a bit off of the cook time, but not much. Baste about every 45 minutes or so. Rotate the bird. Ovens have hot spots and this can leave one side done and one side overdone. Ymmv, obviously, as all ovens are NOT created equally.

I like to pour a can of Dr. Pepper in/on/around the bird. This produces a nice glaze as you baste. Quite tasty, imho.

If you do decide to make a trial bird, be sure to make stock out of it before the Big Day. This will give you turkey stock to add to all the delicious things instead of chicken or veggie.

Cranberry salad AND the ubiquitous can-shaped blob of red stuff should be present.

Don't make a practice turkey but do cook one a few times a year just because I like it and it makes for a relatively easy & cost-effective way to feed a lot of people.

The recipe I always use…

Turkey with Gravy (1 x 14 to 16 pound frozen young turkey)
Prep Time: 20 min
Inactive Prep Time: 7 hrs
Cook Time: 3 hrs

Brine:
1 x cup kosher salt
1/2 x cup light brown sugar
1 x gallon vegetable stock
1 x gallon iced water
1 x tablespoon black peppercorns
1 x lemon
1/2 x teaspoon chopped candied ginger (optional)

2 to 3 days before roasting:
• Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at 3 degrees C or 38 degrees F
• Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, lemon and candied ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil; remove brine from heat, cool to room temp & refrigerate.
• 12 to 16 hours before you start to cook the bird combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon container. Submerge the turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If needed weigh the bird down to keep it fully submerged, cover and refrigerate 12 to 16 hours.

Roasting:
1 x lemon, halved
2 x yellow onions, halved
3 x large carrots, coarsely chopped
3 x celery stalks, coarsely chopped
6 x garlic cloves, crushed & left whole
6 x tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter softened
2 x tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped or 1/2 tablespoon dried herb de provence
8 x tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter melted
1 x teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 x teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 x teaspoon paprika
4 x cups water
4 x sprigs rosemary (optional)
6 x sage leaves (optional)

• 3 hours before you want to eat preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
• Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water and discard the brine.
• Place the bird on roasting rack inside a roasting pan (don’t use a disposable pan) and pat dry.
• Add onions, carrots, celery & garlic around perimeter of the bird. If you’re not stuffing the bird place 1/4 of the vegetables inside cavity.
• Rub the bird all over with the halved lemons. If you’re not stuffing the bird place squeezed lemons inside cavity.
• Take softened butter, add parsley and work equally under the breast skin at top & bottom openings.
• Tuck the wings under the bird, take melted butter add pepper, salt & paprika and brush all over the bird.
• Roast uncovered the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 F for 30 minutes.
• Reduce oven temperature to 350 F, cover with lid and continue to roast till bird as an internal temp of 161 F (measure at thickest part of breast). Remove lid for last 30 minutes to brown skin. Baste throughout with pan juices throughout roasting process.
• A 14-16 pound turkey takes ~2.5 hours.
• Remove from oven, place on/in something that will capture any lost juices (pan lid works well). Loosely tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.

Gravy:
1 x shallot, minced
1 x bay leaf
3 x tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 x tablespoons unsalted butter
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

• Discard vegetables from pan
• Skim off fat
• Place roasting pan on medium high stove burner and bring to a simmer
• Scrape off all brown bits from bottom of pan
• Return any lost juices from the resting turkey
• Slowly whisk in flour and continue to whisk for 3 minutes
• Reduce heat and whisk in butter
• Check for taste and add salt/pepper if needed
• Strain through medium sieve & keep warm till served

Dressing (outside bird):
2 x loaves good white bread
1 x tablespoon vegetable oil
2 x leaks, diced
2 x large carrots, diced
2 x celery stalks, diced
1 x teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 x teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 x garlic cloves, minced
1/2 x stick unsalted butter
1 x egg, lightly beat
1 1/2 x cup chicken stock (not broth)
4 x turkey wings

• Slice bread into 3/4” cubes and let dry overnight in a covered bowl
• In a large saute pan on medium high cook the leaks, carrots and celery in the oil till softened
• Add the spices & garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes
• Remove from heat
• Add butter and let it melt with residual heat
• When at room temperature add the egg & stock
• Thoroughly mix with the cubed bread (works better to do it in batches)
• Preheat oven to 350 F, middle rack
• Firmly (it should be tight but don’t crush the bread) pack the mixture into buttered casserole dish(s). Ideal depth is 2 1/2". Too shallow it will dry out, too deep and the center will be soggy.
• Place the wings on-top the bread mix
• Bake uncovered for 30 minutes
• Remove the wings and bake for an additional 10 minutes

Gold!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
15 minutes per pound at 350 is a good rule of thumb. I too prefer to start at a higher temp so as to "seal" the juices early on. This cuts a bit off of the cook time, but not much. Baste about every 45 minutes or so. Rotate the bird. Ovens have hot spots and this can leave one side done and one side overdone. Ymmv, obviously, as all ovens are NOT created equally.

I like to pour a can of Dr. Pepper in/on/around the bird. This produces a nice glaze as you baste. Quite tasty, imho.

If you do decide to make a trial bird, be sure to make stock out of it before the Big Day. This will give you turkey stock to add to all the delicious things instead of chicken or veggie.

Cranberry salad AND the ubiquitous can-shaped blob of red stuff should be present.
Canned cranberry is heresy- it is so easy to make. One cup of boiling water, one cup of sugars, one bag of cranberries. Cook until the cranberries are splitting. Once it cools a bit, add mandarin orange and chopped pecans. You’ll never buy canned again.

Well of course! That's why i said to have both. I personally prefer the canned goop on sandwiches. It has better staying power. But i also want real cranberry salad to enjoy with dinner. It's too simple and delicious NOT to have around!

Canned cranberry is heresy- it is so easy to make. One cup of boiling water, one cup of sugars, one bag of cranberries. Cook until the cranberries are splitting. Once it cools a bit, add mandarin orange and chopped pecans. You’ll never buy canned again.
Adding a shot or three of Makers is also nice

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

When I was a kid, we would put cranberries and orange chunks (peel and all) through the meat grinder I don't remember the ratio, but it seems like it was a lot more cranberries than orange. Add some sugar at the end (enough to make it good), and we had a great Thanksgiving relish.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
This.

Top Bottom