What's new

Practical revolver advice

Since posting my initial message, I have dry fired the gun hundreds of times (maybe into the thousands of times) since then. (a) Maybe my hands are stronger, or more used to trigger pull. (b) Or maybe the parts are starting to wear together.

In any case, I can control the pull much better now. Much of the sticktion (is that a word) at the start of the pull is gone.

What do you guys think, (a) or (b) or both?
Is dry firing a reasonable way to slick up the action on a revolver?

You had me at Beretta.
15 lbs? Nah. Standard DA pull of the Beretta M9. If I recall that was about the same for an OEM Smith & Wesson Model 19
Maybe I need to toughen up then. I will shoot for making a weight measurement.
You so cRaZy! The standard mainspring for the M9/92FS is approx 11lbs 10oz, while the Single Action is 6lbs. I either replace the standard spring(29 free coils) with a "D" mainspring(25 free coils), lowering the D/A pull to approximately 8lbs & 4lbs, or I clip the standard spring down to 26 coils.
Polishing up the contact points is a very tricky endeavor because you want a smooth surface riding on a smooth surface, but you also want a sound edge.
Repetition can smooth it out, but that's going through a bunch of snap-caps. Just make sure your trigger-pull doesn't get sloppy, which can lead to pushing or pulling your shot.

Well...back 30-35 years ago we were issued the Beretta 92FS/M9 and the pistols we had were coming in around 14-15 lbs.
Beretta (at the time, don't know about today) published only a range of trigger pull weight measurements. See below:

"The stock trigger pull can vary from ~10-15lbs in double-action mode and ~5-8lbs in single-action mode. That’s a huge range, and it’s the reason why Beretta doesn’t publish exact trigger pull data for the 92FS."

Today's specimens may very well be coming in at 11lbs. I don't know.
As far as modifications...these were service weapons. Any change to ANYTHING other than grips (with Armorer approval) was strictly prohibited.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My Ruger GP100 just got smoother by shooting the heck out of it, lol.

It sleeps with me, under my head.

Wilson Combat sells a spring that fixes that nicely! Easy install, too.

AA
1911 M1911 Mainspring:
~7#, ~4# DA/SA
Standard Mainspring:
"D" Mainspring:
13# Wolff:
Well...back 30-35 years ago we were issued the Beretta 92FS/M9 and the pistols we had were coming in around 14-15 lbs.
Beretta (at the time, don't know about today) published only a range of trigger pull weight measurements. See below:

"The stock trigger pull can vary from ~10-15lbs in double-action mode and ~5-8lbs in single-action mode. That’s a huge range, and it’s the reason why Beretta doesn’t publish exact trigger pull data for the 92FS."

Today's specimens may very well be coming in at 11lbs. I don't know.
As far as modifications...these were service weapons. Any change to ANYTHING other than grips (with Armorer approval) was strictly prohibited.
That is quite the range.
Years ago, when my brother was at the range with me, he remarked that when he qualified, his pistols did not feel anything like mine. I told him I could fix that, but he said it would not matter. First, as you mentioned, only the armorer could work on them. Secondly, he would "check his side arm out" when he went on a mission(pilot). In other words, he never knew which one he would get, mission to mission.
I get it, but that leaves a lot of room for error.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
1911 M1911 Mainspring:
~7#, ~4# DA/SA
Standard Mainspring:
"D" Mainspring:
13# Wolff:

That is quite the range.
Years ago, when my brother was at the range with me, he remarked that when he qualified, his pistols did not feel anything like mine. I told him I could fix that, but he said it would not matter. First, as you mentioned, only the armorer could work on them. Secondly, he would "check his side arm out" when he went on a mission(pilot). In other words, he never knew which one he would get, mission to mission.
I get it, but that leaves a lot of room for error.
No, I meant the spring for M9/92. Its an easy DA pull now.

AA

No, I meant the spring for M9/92. Its an easy DA pull now.

AA
I thought I wanted to show the numbers, but then thought I deleted that part of the post. I guess it saved and repopulated with a refresh. Oh well.
The truth is there are a number of options to choose from when looking to dial in a preferred DA/SA pull. A "D" Spring is what I like, but have been able to accomplish that by clipping a few coils off the standard mainspring. The 13# Wolff can also be clipped. The contact points just need to be smooth.

Top Bottom