What's new

Power House Users

I noticed that there are alot of fragrance fans on B&B, the first cologne I ever bought as a kid in 1966 was Jade East which was manufatured by Swank at the time. I have tried the Regency & Songo re-issues and was very disappointed. This was my start on the road to exploring the wonderful world of scents. From there I graduated to Brut, Canoe, English Leather, Tabac, and Aramis. My question is, are there any old school Powerhouse users that have an affinity for the '60's - '80's sillage monsters? If so, please name your favorites from this golden age of men's cologne...

I noticed that there are alot of fragrance fans on B&B, the first cologne I ever bought as a kid in 1966 was Jade East which was manufatured by Swank at the time. I have tried the Regency & Songo re-issues and was very disappointed. This was my start on the road to exploring the wonderful world of scents. From there I graduated to Brut, Canoe, English Leather, Tabac, and Aramis. My question is, are there any old school Powerhouse users that have an affinity for the '60's - '80's sillage monsters? If so, please name your favorites from this golden age of men's cologne...

I love YSL's Kouros and Beene's Grey Flannel. Both are... potent.

Absolutely love Gucci Nobile, just getting into Kouros, like Drakkar Noir as well, still have many to explore... I'm can say I'm a fan of powerhouse frags and aromatic fougeres.

80s powerhouses and aromatic fougeres are the only designer frags I can wear. Newer stuff from designer houses just doesn't get it done the way it used to.

I won't make a complete list, but Polo Green and Azzaro PH are among my favorites from that era. I even have fond memories of Drakkar though I haven't worn any in years.

Halston Z-14, Lauder, Tuscany – Aramis, Azzaro, Lapidus, Santos de Cartier, Trussardi - Uomo, and who can forget

ManDom ;)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV3gA7hNItY&feature=player_embedded#at=98[/YOUTUBE]

Other than the one's named already:

z14 and 1-12 are at the top of my list.

Not actually 80s or before I know, but I think it fits: Issey. Any of Aramis and its variations. Antaeus and Santos, if I recall.

Lapidus. I think Boucheron is in its heart powerhouse. Tsar.

Those I remember using in the '60s and '70s include Aramis, British Sterling, Brut, English Leather, Hai Karate, Jade East, Old Spice Lime, Polo, Avon Wild Country and other Avon scents.

I tried Drakkar Noir in the '90s. Some others I wore then included CK Calvin, Eternity, Escape, and Obsession.

I wasn't familiar until recently with Antaeus, Azzaro PH, Canoe, Fahrenheit, Grey Flannel, Halston Z-14 and 1-12, Kouros, Paco Rabanne, Quorum, Santos, Tabac, Tuscany, and many, many others.

One that I found through this site (in a review by StylinLA), Giorgio for Men is awesome (in strength and overall smell) and affordable.

To me it smells very much like Patchouli/Oakmoss with honey, light sandalwood in the background. Its a spicy woody oriental. I'm sorry to the rest of the forum here, but I am ****-poor at describing scents.

Haven't tried this one, what is it like?

Giorgio is not just a scent: it's a sensory experience.

Although I made it through the 80s more or less intact, I never tried Giorgio for Men. However, you would have to have been confined to our secret moon base to have missed the women's version. It's entirely possible that you were eating in a restaurant as much as a mile away from a popular nightclub and you would have still gotten a whiff of it.

How would you know? Well, were there any women with big hair, spandex slacks, heavy eye makeup, giant belts, stiletto heels and perhaps shoulder pads around you? Did you see the colors lime green, canary yellow, turquoise or hot pink? Did you feel as if you were having a heart attack although you were otherwise fit? Shortness of breath, dizziness, a constricted feeling in your chest, pulse racing?

If you did, you know what Giorgio (for Women) smells like. Just try to remember. Do not, however, do so when operating a vehicle or heavy equipment.

As far as my collection goes, I have the usual suspects. However my favorite 60s/70s frag is Speidel Bravura Musk. If you look carefully, you can see it sitting on Brian Fantana's top shelf in Anchorman. I'll use it every now and then, paired with the Speidel Bravura AS. For the ladies.

Giorgio for Men is a favorite. It's a patchouli/sandalwood bomb as many 80s scents were. Very affordable and it smells good. Strong. Smells a lot pricier than it is. If you're over 40, a lot of women might like this on you. Under 40? You might pass out. It ain't Bvlgari Aqua.

Other powerhouse favorites:

Kouros - the well document and oft discussed classic.

Van Clef & Arpels Pour Homme - monster sillage. A nice manly scent but borderline "mean." This is Gene Simmons as a villain in a black suit. Al Pacino's character in The Devil's Advocate. I'm over due to wear this...with a black suit.

Versace L'Homme - an underrated classic. The name "Versace" scares a lot of guys off I'm sure. Make no mistake wet shaver bros, this is manly man shyt. I believe the first male scent that this house put out and it is an 80s monster, but very well done. Another patch/sandalwood blend. Kind of tough to find. L'HOMME - not Pour Homme or Homme. Can be had reasonably priced online. You won't see it in stores. My favorite opening notes out of 70+ scents.

PS Paul Sebastian - Thought by many (including me) to smell like an EdT version of Old Spice. Quite strong. I don't wear it a lot, but it's pretty nice. Very affordable. BUT, I know there are some here that worship Old Spice. It's not a dead ringer, but in the designer EdT world, it's the closest I've smelled.

Antaeus - there's a bit of debate if this is a true powerhouse. Chanel has reformulated it over the years to tone it down for modern sensibilities among the "usual" EdT buyer. Still a nice scent.

Last edited:
To me it smells very much like Patchouli/Oakmoss with honey, light sandalwood in the background. Its a spicy woody oriental. I'm sorry to the rest of the forum here, but I am ****-poor at describing scents.

Nonsense...that's a good description.

I have recently picked up a few of these old powerhouses, it helps that most can be purchased for practically nothing at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. The ones which I don't have any previous memories of (therfore no bad connotations) are Azzarro Pour Homme, Halston 1-12, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Quorum by Puig. All interesting and worth owning.

I was but a young lad in the 80's and didn't wear any fragrances.
In the 90's, I would say Azzaro and Drakkar Noir were the powerhouses I remember.
My brother's best friend was a big Drakkar fan and you could smell him coming before you saw him.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Loved the song. Not so keen on the scent.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti-bpjcPD40[/YOUTUBE]

I still wear Givenchy Gentlemen once in a while - quite a potent one. Used to wear Paco Rabanne and Polo Green - a good dousing right before going out.

Top Bottom