What's new

Pour Over Wars - Hario V60 vs Kalita 102 vs Kalita Wave

Well, everything's different again but so what because the coffee's delicious! I'm on a mailing list for a local roaster and got an email announcing a new dripper they had just released and did I want to preorder one.

Of course I did.

It arrived earlier this week which has given me a chance to use it 3 times now and I think I'm going to stop buying drippers for a really long while, unless this one ever breaks. Yea I'm splitting coffee science atoms here but like I said before the coffee's damn delicious! This thing really is beautiful and works like a charm, giving me some really good coffee during this really tough, busy week. As far as I'm concerned the pour-over war is over...

$IMG_2112.jpg
$IMG_2113.jpg
$IMG_2114.jpg

What kind of filters does your new ceramic dripper take? I am reading your post on a small screen but the overall shape looks v60 but with a small flat bottom.

Though I might quibble with some of the Blue Bottle promotional write up, I like that their new dripper is made from thin porcelain. It looks like a good dripper to make one cup/mug of coffee.

Though I might quibble with some of the Blue Bottle promotional write up, I like that their new dripper is made from thin porcelain. It looks like a good dripper to make one cup/mug of coffee.

I have the same quibbles. Their promotional jibber jabber is quite annoying most of the time, but it's hard to find fault wit their coffee etc.

I'm very pleased with the construction and results. I think they got Bonmac to produce it for them but I'm not 100% sure on that yet. Regardless I'm very happy with the cups I'm getting with it.

Coffee science is cool, agreed. I've done a few thousand pours with a V60 and I'm still learning how to achieve full extraction. Once you've exhausted all variables may I suggest investing in a PPM meter. According to the SCAA shoot for Ideal Total Dissolve Solids at 75-250 with a target of 150 PPM. I have an RO system. My SoCal water is criminal, and varying PPM readings is easily achievable by mixing tap and RO water into my Hario kettle. When I got away from straight RO water and started adding in more minerals it made a noticeable difference in the taste of my coffee. Do you need to do this, absolutely not. Do I enjoy adding it to my mad scientist routine, yes!
~Royce

I like your thinking. Question: is there a PPM meter specifically designed/preferred for use with coffee science or are they multi-use tools? I've been enjoying this little read a lot...

$IMG_2116.jpg

You don't need a tds reader specifically for coffee. I was directed to get this one from Amazon. It's the perfect size for dipping it into a Hario kettle:
HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester, 0-9990 ppm Measurement Range , 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 3% Readout Accuracy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C0A7ZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LpYwyb7H2DFZ0
There are several on the site that you can buy that vary in price. I haven't had any problems with it and after daily use for the last two years works perfect.
That book there looks like something right up my alley. Funny thing is I've not read that book but I have read the one below it. Rock on!

~Royce

Last edited:
Top Bottom