What's new

Pour over question

I recently had some pour over from a local shop. I know I had Ethiopian and I can't remember the second, but I believe it was Colombian. Both cups were extremely floral, almost to the point that I felt like I was drinking flowers. Is this normal for pour over?

I would think the flavor has more to do with the beans than the brew method. That said, I mainly do pour over and everyone complements me on my coffee.

As noted above it is more about using high quality freshly roasted coffee. High quality in that the coffee crop farmer & bean processor sets the stage on what flavors are possible to extract. Then roasted properly (time & temperature), not darkly roasted which can mute and overpower some of the lighter notes. Then consumed relatively soon after roasting, so that these more volatile compounds are not lost.

But I also think a pour over can accentuate things as you get a lot of aroma going before you even taste the coffee. Where the aroma is affecting ones sense of taste.

As noted above it is more about using high quality freshly roasted coffee. High quality in that the coffee crop farmer & bean processor sets the stage on what flavors are possible to extract. Then roasted properly (time & temperature), not darkly roasted which can mute and overpower some of the lighter notes. Then consumed relatively soon after roasting, so that these more volatile compounds are not lost.

But I also think a pour over can accentuate things as you get a lot of aroma going before you even taste the coffee. Where the aroma is affecting ones sense of taste.
Great answer! I decided this summer to leave the realm of dark roasts and see if I can taste the descriptors used on so many roasters bags. And I decided to buy as fresh as possible without roasting my own beans. I am trying different medium roasts from local roasters, with be beans being between 1 and 3 months from roasting in those sealed bags in the grocery aisle. Fun so far, and lots of experimenting with grind size and pour times.

Did they rinse the filters before brewing?

You can get some paper processing tastes from unrinsed filters. To me these paper tastes are on the sweet floral range.

Etheopian and Colombian should not taste similar.

Top Bottom