What's new

Pour Over Coffee Brewer

I'm very happy with my Bonavita porcelain dripper. It uses the same process as the Clever dripper, I believe (you can hold it in the vessel for a few minutes like a press, and them release. Uses Melitta filters. I've used it for about a year. Best if you put hot water in it to temper it before using.

Those of you saying that either:
A. your pour-overs are tasting like paper
or
B. your french press are too bitter
There are many ways to fix this!

Grind size:
Most of the time this is entirely due to grind size. Grind size is one of the most important aspects of coffee brewing! Great link highlighting the different grind sizes needed for different methods: https://driftaway.coffee/a-comprehensive-coffee-grinding-guide/. If you go into any independent/respectable coffee shop/roaster, and you tell them you would like your coffee ground to a certain method, they will almost certainly know, and if they don't, they are not a very good establishment/not a very good barista. Those of you who may shout heresy for suggesting pre-ground coffee, this is a fun link that suggests otherwise: Is It Always Better to Grind Fresh?. My experience agrees with this. Commercial Mahlkonig coffee grinders will provide excellent cups even after 4-5 days.

Otherwise, play with time and heat to get the proper flavor in any method!
French press:
Never brew longer than 4 minutes! Keep the temperature at 205 degrees Fahrenheit!

Pour-over:
Make sure you are keeping the temperature at/under 205 degrees Fahrenheit. Time is quite variable, so that is easily played with. Different filters need different brew times. V60 filters call for brew times under 2:30-3:00 minutes while Chemex's call for 3:30-4:00 minute brew times simply because of the difference in filter density.
Also, never forget to pre-wet your filter when doing a pour-over. Another thing to remember when doing a pour-over is do not hit the paper filter with water while pouring! This always results in papery coffee.

I really hope this helps any of you who complain about papery coffee/bitter coffee!

I've used a Chemex 8 for quite a while now, and there are a couple French Presses around here. Both make superior coffee to anything else I've used. Rinse the Chemex filter in HOT water before adding the coffee and there will be no paper taste, the brown filters make better coffee than the bleached white ones (guess they are a tighter filter without the bleaching). Adjust the grind for about a 4 minute pour, I prefer dark roast beans and a medium "drip" grind works best with them, flavored, drier beans a courser grind is needed. French Press I prefer a very course ground and a good steeping before pressing, end result is a very different flavor profile from the pour over.

I've tried this and that method, including the French Press, but I coarse grind my beans in a burr grinder, pre wet the filter in my porcelain Mellitta pour over, and let the water stop bubbling for 30 seconds in the electric kettle before I pour. Never hit the paper ..... if I can help it. Works for me, though there may be better ways.

Super awesome articles! I tried a 6 minute french press this morning, and it turned out fantastically! Thanks for this little tidbit. I really like this journalist. He's got great stuff.
Great to read of your results! I slipped up the other day and ground the coffee too fine, then steeped for too long. What an eye opener and not a good cup!

I have experience with two pour overs. The Hario V60, which I have in metal and purchased recently. I also had until recently, a beloved Chemex but they are fragile and mine only lasted about 2 years, which I suspect could be considered a LONG time in some households.

For the V60 setup, I am brewing directly into a Zojirushi insulated carafe. For my household, this is a very nice arrangement. The V60 is perhaps slightly more fiddly in some ways than the Chemex but if you are an experienced pour over user I dont think you will have any trouble at all getting pretty consistently excellent coffee so long as you dont rush and pour too fast. That's been my experience at least. Very happy with it.

I chose the metal V60 because it seemed like the best overall option in terms of durability and heat retention but I think they are all good in their own way. I might have gotten the largest v3 size if it was available in something other than glass and plastic(?).

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Definitely get both a pour over and a press. I recommend using a press for darker roasts and the pour over for most medium and especially blonde roasts. The press really brings the oils from the beans into the final cup while the pour over retains more of the delicate flavors and acidity that can get lost in a French press.

My favored pour over is the Kalita Wave. The flat base allows me to make a greatpour over without having to think as much about technique as with a Hario. It's a bit more expensive, though, and I have to order the filters online.

For press advice, I would recommend that you steep the coffee for 8 minutes. Most recommend less time, but I always seem to get a weak cup if I don't give it more time.

When you get your pour over, sometime when your weather is heating up try making Japanese Iced Coffee! It's absolutely outstanding, even better than a good cold brew IMHO.

And sorry for all the input, I really love coffee, but in my opinion the pour over set isn't as important as the filters. The different filter thicknesses control how much oil can pass into the cup which makes a bigger difference on flavor than the shape of the cone. Chemex has a thick filter system and makes a pretty delecate tasting cup that highlights acidity and minimizes oils. Hario, Melitta, and Kalita all allow more oils in with Kalita allowing the most IMO, although they're quite similar overall. The press let's ALL the oils in and really shines with a good dark roast.

Happy brewing!

@IMightBeWrong - what is Japanese Iced Coffee? Not familiar but always open to new coffee drinks. Also, to add to your comments, which I mostly agree with, the fineness and consistency of your grind is also a large factor in the quality of your brew. Also, water temperature. For some pour over methods, as you described, the quality of the pour itself can also be a big factor, ie. the Hario is more sensitive to a good pour than the Wave.

Aside from the oils in the Press, the other thing that some people may or may not prefer is that with a press you get fines in the bottom of your cup. At least I do, but I don't have an uber high end grinder. I suspect you would get fines regardless though. With a filter pour over you dont really get fines. I like both. But I am a bit of a coffee addict and like all coffee so long as it is good. ;)

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Japanese Iced Coffee is made by pour over with ice cubes in the pot that you pour over. You subtract the ice itself from the amount of hot water you brew with. The coffee brews hot and instantly cools inside the pot. Makes for an absolutely perfect iced coffee in my experience. Use any coffee you would prefer brewed in a pour over. The ice will be mostly gone and melted so pour into a glass with fresh ice when finished and enjoy!

Japanese Iced Coffee is made by pour over with ice cubes in the pot that you pour over. You subtract the ice itself from the amount of hot water you brew with. The coffee brews hot and instantly cools inside the pot. Makes for an absolutely perfect iced coffee in my experience. Use any coffee you would prefer brewed in a pour over. The ice will be mostly gone and melted so pour into a glass with fresh ice when finished and enjoy!
That is very similar to Vietnamese Iced Coffee, which is a great way to finish off a nice hot bowl of Pho.

Except the coffee drips right at your table, into a small cup that is half-filled with condensed milk. After it drips through, remover the pour-over mechanism, and stir stir stir stir stir until the coffee and milk are thoroughly blended. Then pour it over ice.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
That is very similar to Vietnamese Iced Coffee, which is a great way to finish off a nice hot bowl of Pho.

Except the coffee drips right at your table, into a small cup that is half-filled with condensed milk. After it drips through, remover the pour-over mechanism, and stir stir stir stir stir until the coffee and milk are thoroughly blended. Then pour it over ice.

I prefer my coffee black, but I'm sure it's good!

Top Bottom