What's new

POTUS'S Pen in the Oval Office

FWIW, have seen two signatures by a former president that looked like he used whatever was on hand. One looked like a felt tip, and the other a ball point. It may be that there are the "expensive" ones for signing ceremonies, and "cheap" ones for everything else.

There is also a machine called an automatic signature machine used by some presidents and officials. The one I saw on TV had a huge disk connected to a sort of pantograph arraingment connected to a pen. Don't know what that used.

Graydog

Biblical Innards

Granted, this second video was from the time of the Obama administration, but it still is interesting and gives a bit of insight into some of the questions brought up in this thread.

Thank you very much for the information. Very cool for a small company.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Cross is an American company but their manufacturing is done overseas and has been for over ten years.

Cross is an American company but their manufacturing is done overseas and has been for over ten years.

The quality of their pens took a sharp nosedive when they started having them made in China. I don't think I'd buy one at this point. Chinese-made Sheaffer and Parker pens aren't my cup of tea either.

Cross had had fountain pens made by Pilot I believe, and there was also a model that reminded me of ST Dupont or (French) Waterman in some ways. I have some of the Pilot ones and the nibs and feeds definitely look like they're from Pilot. They write pretty well. I also have one of the model that reminds me of ST Dupont. I'm drawing a blank on the model name right now. It's very finely crafted with a superb lacquer finish.

I'd conclude that, at least at one time, Cross knew how to have pens made overseas. They've either forgotten how, or low cost of manufacture is the sole thing they're looking for now.

I've always found it interesting what presidents chose to write with. Trump uses Cross pens with a broad felt tip. I know Kennedy was partial to Esterbrook. As for the rest of modern presidents, seems conventional for them to use Cross pens. Seems kinda boring... LOL. Then again, I was never huge on Cross.

FWIW, have seen two signatures by a former president that looked like he used whatever was on hand. One looked like a felt tip, and the other a ball point. It may be that there are the "expensive" ones for signing ceremonies, and "cheap" ones for everything else.

There is also a machine called an automatic signature machine used by some presidents and officials. The one I saw on TV had a huge disk connected to a sort of pantograph arraingment connected to a pen. Don't know what that used.

Yes, most presidents use an autopen to some extent. Obama was one of the first to ever sign an executive order with one, but most use it as a signature for widescale correspondence. They'll also frequently use it to sign photos and other things to send something back when people write them letters. Lots of celebrities and other personalities use one, also. They can also use several different pens and several different signature examples so that it doesn't look like they keep using the same one.

I've always found it interesting what presidents chose to write with. Trump uses Cross pens with a broad felt tip. I know Kennedy was partial to Esterbrook. As for the rest of modern presidents, seems conventional for them to use Cross pens. Seems kinda boring... LOL. Then again, I was never huge on Cross.

For a long time I thought that they were mostly given as gifts and then promptly put in a drawer and never used again. I don't think that pen and pencil sets are as common for gifts now as they were though, so I don't know who is buying Cross pens these days.

Cross is still US-owned, which has not always been true of some other American pen companies that have made pens that might be used for signing important documents. Perhaps that's why they've been used by so many recent Presidents?

Yes, you're right, it's namely because it's a US name. Nothing wrong with Cross, but how cool would it be to see a little change? To see Trump or whomever comes next with a custom Edison? LOL!

By the way, I've heard stories that Trump gave Parker Duofolds as door gifts at an event he was holding. Not sure when that supposedly took place.

I don't own any Edison pens, but I've met Brian a couple of times and he's a really nice guy and very passionate about pens. I'd like to see him get some recognition by having his pens used by the President.

It would have been really cool to see a Bexley pen used by the President when Howard owned the company too.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I agree it would be cool for POTUS to use an honest-to-God American made pen. Edison, Franklin-Cristoph, Karas Kustoms, etc. All good. It'd be even cooler for Cross or Shaeffer to restart manufacturing here. No knock on Jowo and Bock, but it'd be really great to have in-house American-made nibs again. I wonder if the old machining is still around.

Someone wrote about visiting the Sheaffer plant while it was being shutdown. Maybe Sam from Pendemonium? I won't swear to it, but my impression was that everything was being sold off, all the way down to the copper in the plumbing.

I do also think it would be cool if the US White House stocked American made products for the Presidents use from locally hand crafted and assembled from pens and Franklin Christoph and Edison pens amongst others would certainly appreciate a what would perceived for them large batch order for 300 or more pens I would expect.

I do also think it would be cool if the US White House stocked American made products for the Presidents use from locally hand crafted and assembled from pens and Franklin Christoph and Edison pens amongst others would certainly appreciate a what would perceived for them large batch order for 300 or more pens I would expect.

They're probably not large enough businesses or employers to attract the notice of their respective congress-critters. Without somebody greasing the way for them, I don't think they stand a chance of being selected to make pens for the office of the President.

Parker and Sheaffer were large companies and employed a lot of people. Cross was less so, but was still a big player in the smaller pond of RI. Cross concentrated on gift items, so maybe it was also seen as a good fit for pens that will be given away as soon as they're used?

I came across this article least year or so..........

When I was in first grade they gave us these fat wooden pencils with a very thick lead. Writing with a Sharpie has always reminded me of those pencils.

Once I had learned to write a bit better, they let me use the same pencils the adults used. Part of growing up was moving on to what adults used.

This is how you establish the provenance
87dee94f-9b5f-4367-bad7-312f13319e79-large16x9_ATCROSSPRESIDENTPENS.transfer_frame_599.jpg

The presidential pens he gives out usually go to those instrumental in the order or bill being signed or by rank...there is also a presidential challenge coin specific to each president.

Last time I was in the oval office was when Reagan was in office and there was not a decorative pen sitting on the desk.. He did have jelly beans but no pen.

Top Bottom