What's new

POTUS'S Pen in the Oval Office

Hi. Does anyone know what Pen is used by the President when he signs official documents in the Oval Office. He picks one up, writes a bit, sets it down and picks up another one and does the same thing about eight time. He then usually gives the Pens away to those standing around his desk. Are they Fountain Pen's? Anyone know?

I'm fairly sure the president can choose to use whatever pens they would like. However, tradition is that they use an A.T Cross pen. Normally lately, it's a Century II rollerball model, and I believe that's what president Trump has also gone with. I grew up in New England, next to where A.T. Cross pens used to be made. Cross always made a big deal about their pens being chosen by the president to sign things like executive orders.

President Trump was a big Sharpie fan before his presidency. On becoming President it was rumoured Cross were charged to make special broad roller-balls pens for presidential use. You can see he favours a heavy thick bold line signature when he often turns and shows the documents he' just signed to the media

Is there any "Proof' this Pen was used by the President after the person walks out the door with it? Is this Pen unique in any way?

I believe the pens are purchased specifically for the president's use, so A.T. Cross knows the pens are going to be used by the president. Cross always made a big deal that the public could buy the same pen that the president uses, so I'd imagine they are the exact same pen. I'm not sure if there is a special engraving on the pen used by the president, or not.

Last edited:
Is there any "Proof' this Pen was used by the President after the person walks out the door with it? Is this Pen unique in any way?

Often, when signing multiple copies of a document at a signing ceremony, presidents have used a different pen for each copy and handed them to people present. I suspect that establishing the provenance of such pens later would be nearly impossible, as it would depend on both word of mouth and a traceable chain of ownership. But if I were to receive such a pen at a signing ceremony, I'd just hang on to it, and not worry about proving where I'd gotten it.

From what I've read, no, these presidential pens are not uniquely marked. But there is a story of someone giving President Truman a box of pens that had "I swiped this from Harry Truman" printed on them.

If you are correct and he is using a Century II rollerball model, they sell new for about $100. A WH staffer is likely tasked with the job of insuring a box of these are available in the draw of the Big Desk. No offence but you'd think they'd class up the Oval Office a bit with a beautiful Fountain Pen sitting in a holder on the desk. Nothing extravagant, maybe 1-2k and USA made. Maybe they do and we just never see it on TV when they broadcast pictures of POTUS sitting behind the desk. If they don't have a beautiful FP sitting on top of that beautiful desk and if.. I ..were President I would order a staffer to purchase a Top Shelf Fountain Pen immediately. It is traditional and protocol for the sitting POTUS to sit down at that desk on his last day and with Pen and Paper leave a message for the incoming POTUS. It's an important message written on paper with an ink pen so the Pen needs to be TopShelf. After writing that note I'd stand up and slip that Pen into my breast pocket and walk out the door.

Prior to becoming president he was seen going into Fountain Pen Hospital and buying more than one Duofolds, perhaps as private gifts because I havent seen him use one.

I also read somewhere that Cross were commissioned to make, specifically and only for the President's pens, a special Sharpie felt-tip-like refill using permanent ink.....because of the President's previous fondness for Sharpies

I'm surprised the pens aren't uniquely engraved or marked as being pens for/from the oval office. Still no way to track them after they leave, so you couldn't prove a claim a specific pen was used on a specific document, of course.

Legion

Staff member
Truman used Esterbrook desk pens, I know that, and they were marked as such. Kennedy used the same.

post-70942-0-23207700-1305397614.jpg

Last edited:
I thought each new president was given a tray of finger paints and a big box of Crayolas that had to last their entire term.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

Granted, this second video was from the time of the Obama administration, but it still is interesting and gives a bit of insight into some of the questions brought up in this thread.

Top Bottom